• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phor

Mar 7, 2009
    Hello,

I'm in Greenbelt. Could somebody tell me where is the best option to shoot a rifle within an hour of Greenbelt? I already have access to an indoor range, but I'd like it better outside. What are the options within an hour from Greenbelt?
    Thanks

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    There is a public,range at elk neck but its further than an hour. Ive had similar issues finding an outdoor range. How hard would,it be to open them

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    AGC (Associated Gun Clubs) of Baltimore, it's located in Marriotsville.
    About a 45-50 minute drive from Greenbelt. You'd need to become a member first but it's a nice range. They have a 50 yd pistol range, 100 yd multipurpose range, 200 yd rifle range and several trapshooting ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    If you are looking for a public range, try Myrtle Grove (southern Maryland) or the Elk Neck State Forest Range (Elkton).

If you want to join a range, there are several options. The Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore offers a choice of 31 clubs and range facilities include 100 position 100-yd range, 56 position pistol range, 10 position 200yd range, 4 trap fields, shotgun patterning board, and a archery range. They are currently developing action pistol range bays.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    AGC (Associated Gun Clubs) of Baltimore, it's located in Marriotsville.
    About a 45-50 minute drive from Greenbelt. You'd need to become a member first but it's a nice range. They have a 50 yd pistol range, 100 yd multipurpose range, 200 yd rifle range and several trapshooting ranges.

Ill have to check that out

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Not the cheapest and currently only a 100 yd range but Berwyn is 20 minutes from Greenbelt. All outdoor and nearly always uncrowded and often empty with just you there, especially on the rifle range. Plans are to re-open the 200 yd range at some point once a no blue sky barrier built for it like the rest of the range. It's also an AGC member club so you could get a range badge for that as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's not close to your 1hr parameter, but when your follow on question turns to : " Where to shoot beyond 200yd w/o a membership ? ", your closest answer will be Delmarva Sporting Clays.

cechk01

Oct 2, 2015
    PRMD
    join fort meade rod and gun club, we get to shoot at the rifle ranges that used to be part of Fort Meade. 2 Sundays a month. they have annoying gate restrictions where you have to show up at the gate at 7AM but its worth it, you can shoot up to 600 yards. becoming a member is just being part of the NRA and paying $25 yearly dues. being a member makes you qualified to join the AGC

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    There is a public,range at elk neck but its further than an hour. Ive had similar issues finding an outdoor range. How hard would,it be to open them

Very. No one wants to live near one. There used to be several more in central maryland, but they’ve been shut down over the years because people build homes, move in and then don’t want to live near a shooting range. Howard county in particular has ridiculous requirements for an outdoor range.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Very. No one wants to live near one. There used to be several more in central maryland, but they’ve been shut down over the years because people build homes, move in and then don’t want to live near a shooting range. Howard county in particular has ridiculous requirements for an outdoor range.

Which is why they don't have any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom