• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Again, I would hope the HGRB decisions in the past would be considered when renewing. I would think it would be some kind of precedent, however I am sure sense is not one of the things they are thinking about.

I would also think reversing a decision by the HGRB on a renewal, such as adding restrictions if the permit holders situation has not changed, could be grounds for a legal argument.

I see this as another way to screw the law abiding person who is even willing to jump through the hoops and will do NOTHING to keep us all safe, if anything it will put us in more danger.

TD

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    What are the stds used by MSP to issue a ccw? Are they written into the code of md regs, or whispered at SP headquarters. A ALJ will determine if the agency violated the law. If its a discretionary or fact finding question by the agency/MSP ...he did not have a valid reason...it will not disturb the decision. Appeal to a ct? Forget it. The circuit ct has no power to exercise its discretion in lieu of the agency unless there is a missaplication of the law or an obvious abuse of discretion. The elimination of the bd was designed for one reason only. To remove the power to overrule MSP adverse decisions by a civilian board. Restrict carry by md citizens. When the gov changes, and MSP changes, the elimination of ccw will be a priority of a progressive governor, and this will result in no where to turn. “ thank you sir! May i have another one!”

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Is guess it is 3/23/18 somewhere.

Attachments

• hprb322.jpg
      hprb322.jpg
      25.8 KB · Views: 322

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I don't get it. That says it was voted favorable by JPC tomorrow.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Looks like they are not getting rid of the HPRB, but an easier way for MSP to appeal to a ALJ for a de novo hearing ??

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2018RS/amds/bil_0001/SB0741_69897601.pdf

“(E) (1) THE APPLICANT, THE HOLDER OF THE PERMIT, OR THE
    SECRETARY MAY APPEAL THE DECISION OF THE BOARD TO THE OFFICE OF
    ADMINISTRATIVE HEARINGS WITHIN 30 DAYS AFTER THE ISSUANCE OF THE
    BOARD’S REASONS UNDER SUBSECTION (D)(2) OF THIS SECTION.
    (2) WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER THE RECEIPT OF A REQUEST FROM THE
    APPLICANT, THE HOLDER OF THE PERMIT, OR THE SECRETARY, THE OFFICE OF
    ADMINISTRATIVE HEARINGS SHALL SCHEDULE AND CONDUCT A DE NOVO
    HEARING ON THE APPEAL, AT WHICH WITNESS TESTIMONY AND OTHER EVIDENCE
    MAY BE PROVIDED.
    (3) WITHIN 90 DAYS AFTER THE CONCLUSION OF THE LAST
    HEARING ON THE MATTER, THE OFFICE OF ADMINISTRATIVE HEARINGS SHALL
    ISSUE A FINDING OF FACTS AND A DECISION.
    (4) A PARTY THAT IS AGGRIEVED BY THE DECISION OF THE OFFICE
    OF ADMINISTRATIVE HEARINGS MAY APPEAL THE DECISION TO THE CIRCUIT
    COURT.”;

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It will be interesting to see what the circuit does. Won't that eventually define G&S because the court's decisions will be binding?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    It will be interesting to see what the circuit does. Won't that eventually define G&S because the court's decisions will be binding?

Not sure if I'm reading it correctly. As of now the HPRB makes determination and next step to appeal is circuit court ?

This looks as if next step would be an appeal to an ALJ for a de novo hearing, then next step would be appeal that to Circuit Court. Like the ALJ hearing supersedes the HPRB , then that can be appealed to Circuit. Basically if you prevail at HPRB, MSP has an easier bite at the Apple again to deny you. There is no hazard for MSP to appeal to ALJ, it's a new hearing.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Not sure if I'm reading it correctly. As of now the HPRB makes determination and next step to appeal is circuit court ?

This looks as if next step would be an appeal to an ALJ for a de novo hearing, then next step would be appeal that to Circuit Court. Like the ALJ hearing supersedes the HPRB , then that can be appealed to Circuit.

Yes. Unless SCOTUS takes a carry case, the 4th Circuit will give rulings on what determines G&S. Those rulings will be binding in our Circuit. They will slowly define what is and is not G&S.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

This looks as if next step would be an appeal to an ALJ for a de novo hearing, then next step would be appeal that to Circuit Court. Like the ALJ hearing supersedes the HPRB , then that can be appealed to Circuit.

Is an ALJ decision binding as case law would be, or would that require an appeal to and decision at the Circuit Court level ? It seems to be yet another way for the antis to put political pressure on the HPRB by using an ALJ as a threat as they are political appointments, or are they ?

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    this just sounds like more ******** to restrict peoples rights and to delay and delay and delay as long as possible all the while being able to say we are working on your permitting process until it takes years and years to get thru all the ********

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom