• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbo913

Feb 24, 2018
    So, if you read my hello intro post, you know that I bought some “goodies” in early 13’ and I am just now getting around to doing something with the AR lowers. My main question is what am I allowed to do with them?
    I had also purchased a 16” length upper well before the ban in 13’ (no hbar). Would it be legal to install that though I have no receipt for the upper?

And what are my options for buying a second upper now considering uppers are not registered but my lowers were registered pre-ban?

Sorry for asking but just trying to stay legal and still confused after reading everything I could.

Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks
    Jim

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    You may place any 16" upper on your pre ban lowers or any shorter upper as long as you use a pistol brace instead of a stock. I would build each lower as a pistol first that way it can be switched from pistol to rifle and back again any time you want. If you build a rifle first it must stay a rifle.

jimbo913

Feb 24, 2018
    Thanks for the reply.

So, how would anyone know that I put a pistol brace on it first?
    Do I need to re-register it with MSP after I build it as either a pistol or a rifle even though the lower receiver is already logged/registered?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I don't think there is any need to "re-register" with MSP - the lower is already registered.

No one but you, as an honorable, law-abiding, upright citizen, would know what was "on it first"...

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    Thanks for the reply.

So, how would anyone know that I put a pistol brace on it first?
    Do I need to re-register it with MSP after I build it as either a pistol or a rifle even though the lower receiver is already logged/registered?

I take pictures as I am putting it together. I have an old spare pistol buffer tube with the foam pad on it. I stick that on every build along with a short upper and take a picture. They are all born as pistols. I make sure the serial number is legible in the picture.

jimbo913

Feb 24, 2018
    Thanks everyone. I am not exactly interested in the pistol setup but may go that route anyway depending on costs.

Since uppers are not regulated I am assuming no issues shipping anything I select into state. I will look around and see where the best prices are.

LPK’s are on the way. I bought mags a long time ago, way before the lowers but looks like MD may try to confiscate them all anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom