• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Santamaria

You are telling me, I paid for the thing and waited 3 months to see it in person and I still have another 2 months before I can take it home.

IlikeNFA

Certified Gear Queer
    Aug 27, 2008
    Goodbye MD, Hello freedom
    What are you waiting on? If its a Form 3 to your dealer and its taken 85+ days the transaction may be in "problem status". It is exceptionally rare for a good Form 3 to take that long.

SBS + suppressor. The dealer claims they keep checking and its not in a problem status. 3 months is bad enough to wait on a form 1/4, but a year makes we want to pull out my hair.

Micktaco

May 2, 2009
    Walkersville
    I just sent BAFTE the paperwork for my first suppressor today (22 SWR Warlock)! Wait number 2 begins, I thought I would never get the Form 4s back from MSP (45 day wait from time I dropped off the form 4s with MSP till I received them back).

1. NFA Item: Suppressor
    2. Form Type: Form 4
    3. Transferee: Individual
    4. CLEO Signoff: 6/3/11
    5. CLEO Recieved: 7/7/11
    6. Forms Sent: 7/7/11
    7. Forms Arrived: ?
    8. Check Cashed: 7/25/11
    9. Pending Date: 8/01/11
    10. Examiner Name: Dana Pickles
    11. Approved Date: 12/16/2011 :D
    12. Forms Received: pending

Last edited:

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I just sent BAFTE the paperwork for my first suppressor today (22 SWR Warlock)! Wait number 2 begins, I thought I would never get the Form 4s back from MSP (45 day wait from time I dropped off the form 4s with MSP till I received them back).

4. CLEO Signoff: 6/3/11
    5. CLEO Recieved: 7/7/11
    6. Forms Sent: 7/7/11
    7. Forms Arrived: pending
    8. Check Cashed: pending
    9. Pending Date: pending
    10. Examiner Name: pending
    11. Approved Date: pending
    12. Forms Received: pending

Congrats on the purchase!

45 days isn't to bad. My last set took 8 weeks, and a set before that took 7 weeks. Still, it definitely seems like the average wait time has been increasing lately. I think Im gonna get a Trust setup before my next NFA purchase. Anything to bypass MSP's wait time is worth the extra money.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I sent in my suppressor paper work to ATF on Jul 7th, it's been over two weeks and still no $200 check cashed...
    Should I be worried?

ATF normally cashes checks in the 1 - 3 week time frame. For my last 20 submissions, the fastest check cashing was 4 days and the slowest was 23 days. Give it another week or so.

Just to double check, did you mail it to Atlanta, GA or Martinsburg, WV? A Form 4 should have gone to Atlanta where they cash the checks and then they will forward your paperwork to WV.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    UPDATE: Pending Status & Examiner

NFA Item #1
    4. CLEO Signoff: 5/2/11
    5. CLEO Recieved: 6/25/11
    6. Forms Sent: 6/27/11
    7. Forms Arrived: 6/29/11
    8. Check Cashed: 7/1/11
    9. Pending Date: 7/12/11
    10. Examiner Name: Ann Feltner
    11. Approved Date: N/A
    12. Forms Received: N/A

NFA Item #2
    4. CLEO Signoff: 3/28/11
    5. CLEO Recieved: 5/11/11
    6. Forms Sent: 6/29/11
    7. Forms Arrived: 7/3/11
    8. Check Cashed: 7/6/11
    9. Pending Date: 7/19/11

Update: Both went pending within 2 weeks of checks being cashed

Last edited:

Micktaco

May 2, 2009
    Walkersville
    ATF normally cashes checks in the 1 - 3 week time frame. For my last 20 submissions, the fastest check cashing was 4 days and the slowest was 23 days. Give it another week or so.

Just to double check, did you mail it to Atlanta, GA or Martinsburg, WV? A Form 4 should have gone to Atlanta where they cash the checks and then they will forward your paperwork to WV.

You were right, it took the ATF 19 days to cash my check. They just cashed it on the 25th of Jul. Still slow compared to some of the other times listed in this thread. At least the process is moving forward.:)

Bigpapa

Enthusiast
    Apr 18, 2011
    MD
    @Flipz - When you called BATFE were they receptive to giving you status updates? They have had my paperwork since 6/13 and I have not placed a call yet, but was considering it, although I know I should not expect to hear anything until 8/13 earliest.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    @Flipz - When you called BATFE were they receptive to giving you status updates? They have had my paperwork since 6/13 and I have not placed a call yet, but was considering it, although I know I should not expect to hear anything until 8/13 earliest.

The lady I spoke to was Ashley I believe. She was very nice. Just have the serial # of the NFA item ready as thats how they track it, as well as the shop's name that you purchased it at (unless its a Form 1). It takes all of 30 secs to get your status. You dont speak with an actual examiner. I think you speak with more of an Admin type person. If they've had your Form's since 6/13 Id bet its pending by now. Id be interested to see if you got Mr. Dana Pickles as your examiner since your Form's were in before the switch.

ATF NFA Division: 304-616-4500

Bigpapa

Enthusiast
    Apr 18, 2011
    MD
    The lady I spoke to was Ashley I believe. She was very nice. Just have the serial # of the NFA item ready as thats how they track it, as well as the shop's name that you purchased it at (unless its a Form 1). It takes all of 30 secs to get your status. You dont speak with an actual examiner. I think you speak with more of an Admin type person. If they've had your Form's since 6/13 Id bet its pending by now. Id be interested to see if you got Mr. Dana Pickles as your examiner since your Form's were in before the switch.

Thanks for the info. I will call today and provide an update on examiner.

Bigpapa

Enthusiast
    Apr 18, 2011
    MD

Received 6/13 status is pending, examiner is William Shipman.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I just got off the phone with ATF. The woman answering the phone told me that they are swamped right now, and they're telling everyone 5 MONTHS (!) from their pending date.

[rant] WTF takes so long!?!? You look at my background (one clue is that you just approved a Form 4 a few months ago!) and send me the paperwork. What, on God's green earth, takes 5 months?? Why is it that I can buy a 12 gauge and ammo at a Walmart in 10 minutes, but it takes a half a ****ing year just to get something to protect my hearing??[/rant]

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    [rant] WTF takes so long!?!? You look at my background (one clue is that you just approved a Form 4 a few months ago!) and send me the paperwork. What, on God's green earth, takes 5 months?? [/rant]

The BATFE probably reassigned people to search and destroy any evidence linked to the Fast and Furious scandal. :innocent0

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I just got off the phone with ATF. The woman answering the phone told me that they are swamped right now, and they're telling everyone 5 MONTHS (!) from their pending date.

[rant] WTF takes so long!?!? You look at my background (one clue is that you just approved a Form 4 a few months ago!) and send me the paperwork. What, on God's green earth, takes 5 months?? Why is it that I can buy a 12 gauge and ammo at a Walmart in 10 minutes, but it takes a half a ****ing year just to get something to protect my hearing??[/rant]

That is probably what they tell people so that they don't get swamped by calls when it has been longer than 3 months. Still seems to be around 3 months from pending. Hopefully...

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    OK lets see...
    1. NFA Item: SBR
    2. Form Type: Form 1
    3. Transferee: Trust
    4. CLEO Signoff: N/A
    5. CLEO Recieved: N/A
    6. Forms Sent: 8/6/11
    8. Check Cashed: 8/16/11
    9. Pending Date: 8/23/11

I sent the forms in at approximately 9:30AM on the 6th. Called them at approximately 3PM on the 6th. Check still had not cleared and was not pending yet. Guess I will have to wait a bit longer.... :lol2:

Dave

Last edited:

Balnk

Oct 29, 2008
    Gamber, MD
    ar15dave, you and I are in a race. We are doing the same thing almost at the same time. Check Cashed in 4 days.

1. NFA Item: SBR
    3. Transferee: Trust
    4. CLEO Signoff: N/A
    5. CLEO Recieved: N/A
    6. Forms Sent: 8/4/11
    8. Check Cashed: 8/8/11
    9. Pending Date: N/A
    10. Examiner Name: Unknown

Users who are viewing this thread