• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’m building up a load to test some new Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor Brass. My plan was to keep all other parameters the same as my current loads using Hornady Brass.

While making the batch I had a rather dyslexic moment and misread my charge weight as 46.2gr which should have been 42.6gr.

I loaded 15 cases last night and packed up my stuff for my range trip today. Somehow this morning while laying in bed I was thinking about my plans for today and the load test. I’m not sure what triggered my concern but somehow I was thinking that I made a mistake. So I went to the workroom and broke open one cartridge. Sure enough it was overcharged.

I marked this batch as do not use for now and whipped up some correct loads.

I’m not sure what an additional 3.6gr would have done, but I’m glad I didn’t have to find out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    These threads are always a good reminder to focus solely on the task at hand.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I reloaded fifty .45LC rounds without powder.

Thanks, OP.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I dumped the wrong powder in my powder hopper and cranked out a few hundred rounds of .45acp before I realized it.

That was an expensive mistake.

It is good to be reminded of these things from time to time.

OP, glad you caught your mistake before you pulled the trigger.

What powder are you using? As I said yesterday, I just started loading 6.5CM, but at 43.0gr of RL16, I had to vibrate the powder once inside the case to properly seat the projectiles.
    I would think 46+ grains of any stick powder would be obvious in the case.

IANAMRL (new acronym- master reloader at the end)

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    What powder are you using? As I said yesterday, I just started loading 6.5CM, but at 43.0gr of RL16, I had to vibrate the powder once inside the case to properly seat the projectiles.

I would think 46+ grains of any stick powder would be obvious in the case.

IANAMRL (new acronym- master reloader at the end)

I was using H4350. I could feel a little compaction which is normal even at 42.6gr. It wasn’t obvious but I was also loading a new brass type so I was also learning the feel of the neck tension.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I've put reloading on the sideline. I undercharged a round of 9mm and did not charge one at all stuck the round in my Glock43. I have to add being ill to the list of when not to reload.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I’m building up a load to test some new Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor Brass. My plan was to keep all other parameters the same as my current loads using Hornady Brass.

While making the batch I had a rather dyslexic moment and misread my charge weight as 46.2gr which should have been 42.6gr.

I loaded 15 cases last night and packed up my stuff for my range trip today. Somehow this morning while laying in bed I was thinking about my plans for today and the load test. I’m not sure what triggered my concern but somehow I was thinking that I made a mistake. So I went to the workroom and broke open one cartridge. Sure enough it was overcharged.

I marked this batch as do not use for now and whipped up some correct loads.

I’m not sure what an additional 3.6gr would have done, but I’m glad I didn’t have to find out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worst case is something breaks, best case you would be wondering why the recoil was harsher and the flme coming out the barrel. You are fortunate the round you are reloading takes so much powder so it sounds like double charge is not likely. The dangerous situations are usually the double charge a or the low or no charge followed by a full charge.

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    If you were at or near max charge already I would just pull them and start over. There's a lot of things that determine pressure just by how the rifle is constructed vs a max published load but best to err on the side of caution.

What he said.

I found my Remington 700 Classic in 35 Whelen gives me 100+fps over advertised velocity with Federal P35WT1 225gn TBBC so tight chamber I'd guess. Helped to know before reloading started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom