• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Worton MD. Had our limt by 9:30ish and were drinking Natty Bohs shortly after

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      93.6 KB · Views: 148

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Nice!!
    Hunted in the two bird zone yesterday eve(Carroll Co) and never got a shot.I watched as flock after flock,landed in a field not even a half mile away.Probably had 2 thousand birds land there.

Was the first time hunting there.The field I was in is pretty small and I wasnt sure if birds would even land there so I took 10 stuffers.I only had one small flock give me a look.The rest went straight to the other field and pitched right in.10,50 200 at a time.When they left at dark.....it was LOUD...lol

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Nice!!
    Hunted in the two bird zone yesterday eve(Carroll Co) and never got a shot.I watched as flock after flock,landed in a field not even a half mile away.Probably had 2 thousand birds land there.

Was the first time hunting there.The field I was in is pretty small and I wasnt sure if birds would even land there so I took 10 stuffers.I only had one small flock give me a look.The rest went straight to the other field and pitched right in.10,50 200 at a time.When they left at dark.....it was LOUD...lol

Last week, I saw thousands of birds in the air on Thursday all up and down I-70 from Ellicott City to Mount Airy. The past couple of days, I have not been able to find them. Guess they are all in Carroll County or maybe you saw some more coming down from up north.

When you say the field you are hunting in is small, how small?

Also, when you are competing with hundreds, if not a thousand plus, birds on another field, 10 decoys just aren't going to cut it.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I know the exact field you're standing in. Assuming ur in a club over there since most of worton is leased. Lots of snows over there this year.

I went out with an outfitter. Tom takes my friends out 8-10 times a year in that general area, and i go when i can. This field is near the sewage processing plant ( i think thats what it was)

The snow geese were amazing!!! I've never seen that many birds before, there had to be 10,000 of them in the area.

http://www.chesapeakeguideservice.com/phone/index.html

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Last week, I saw thousands of birds in the air on Thursday all up and down I-70 from Ellicott City to Mount Airy. The past couple of days, I have not been able to find them. Guess they are all in Carroll County or maybe you saw some more coming down from up north.

Also, when you are competing with hundreds, if not a thousand plus, birds on another field, 10 decoys just aren't going to cut it.

I was hunting in Melrose.Most of the flocks were coming from Codorus and Prettyboy direction.The field is about 75yrds wide x 200 yrds long....its doable i think.Last year it was pasture grass.I deer hunted there on the last day last year and a lot of small groups were flying around looking for a place to land.
    When the owner told me he planted corn....I wanted to give it a try.

I had no idea that every goose in the area was using the other field ....I def felt very small with a few decoys.If I try here again,I will use as many decoys that I have time to put out

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

I was hunting in Melrose.Most of the flocks were coming from Codorus and Prettyboy direction.The field is about 75yrds wide x 200 yrds long....its doable i think.Last year it was pasture grass.I deer hunted there on the last day last year and a lot of small groups were flying around looking for a place to land.

I had no idea that every goose in the area was using the other field ....I def felt very small with a few decoys.If I try here again,I will use as many decoys that I have time to put out

Bigger spread will help some with smaller groups. But trust me you'll never put out enough decoys to outcompete live birds in a field next door. U may pull some singles and pairs but most will bee line right to live birds. Best option is kick them off the field (if you have permission) so you don't have to watch birds fly over you all day and land with them.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Hunt with more people, and others that have decoys too. The more decoys you can put out in that situation, the better the chance of killing something. I try to goose hunt with 3 to 4 guys to make life easier. Only been out once this year, but it was great hunting with my dad and my son. We had all the decoys out in 30 minutes or less and it was enough to convince some groups to break up and circle us. Enough to get a group of 4 to break out of its group of 10 and land in the decoys, and good enough to get a group of 50 to come within 30 yards. All this while there was at least 1,000 birds across the street in a cut cornfield and we were hunting a wheat field that had been planted after the field had been plowed (e.g., no beans or corn stubble left on the field). The large group across the street got up at one point and we had a good amount of smaller groups come by us while we were picking up decoys after limiting out.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Bigger spread will help some with smaller groups. But trust me you'll never put out enough decoys to outcompete live birds in a field next door. U may pull some singles and pairs but most will bee line right to live birds. Best option is kick them off the field (if you have permission) so you don't have to watch birds fly over you all day and land with them.

All he needs is two birds per shooter. You are correct, he will never pull all the birds over to him, but all he needs is some to fly within 50 yards.

The field seems to be large enough, but barely. 75 yards by 200 yards is a little narrow, but doable.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Thanks for all the advice.I know that no matter what,this is a tough situation.....small field and the X being so close.This is the only field that I have permission to hunt and there is a ton of birds in the area.I used to hunt a farm close to B&D in Hampstead and killed a lot of geese there,but owner died and his widow now leases the farm to some other guys.

All I can do is hope a couple birds get close enough for a shot(no sky busting).I set up the decoys away from me,so I didnt flag.I think if I have that option,along with some motion decoys,I might have a chance.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Was only able to get 1 per guy. I remembered that your hunting partner can call too much.

Attachments

• 20180120_101735.jpg
      20180120_101735.jpg
      112.3 KB · Views: 118
    Last edited:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Did a float on the Monocacy this week. Geese were plentiful, especially near gravel bars. Only saw 4 ducks though, 3 mallard drakes and 1 black duck drake. Didn't bag any, unfortunately. I'm new to waterfowl and boy do those suckers fly fast!

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Thanks for all the advice.I know that no matter what,this is a tough situation.....small field and the X being so close.This is the only field that I have permission to hunt and there is a ton of birds in the area.I used to hunt a farm close to B&D in Hampstead and killed a lot of geese there,but owner died and his widow now leases the farm to some other guys.

All I can do is hope a couple birds get close enough for a shot(no sky busting).I set up the decoys away from me,so I didnt flag.I think if I have that option,along with some motion decoys,I might have a chance.

I had a lot fly over my 5 dozen bigfeet this past Saturday. Some 20+bird groups have us a look but all seemed to head over to Melrose. I was just off watertank rd. I could put out 4 dozen more but only two of us hunted. First time out this year and my calling was rusty for sure. Heck, I haven't gone out for 3yrs! Started deer hunting, plus WF friends have not been reliable. Their always busy or don't want to get up super early.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

My Roberts Field backyard is the cornfield across the street from Jos A Bank, is this the one? The pay-to-shoot guide service beats the heck outta the geese a few times a week, from the lone oak tree up on top of the knoll. The birds were pretty sparse early on this year but have recently come back in large numbers, and it’s deafening most evenings when they’re not shooting. As a (mostly former) waterfowl hunter it pains me to not be able to hunt that field. Just don’t feel like paying, and tipping, and being guided 274 yards from my back door. Still fun to watch from my living room though.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    My Roberts Field backyard is the cornfield across the street from Jos A Bank, is this the one? The pay-to-shoot guide service beats the heck outta the geese a few times a week, from the lone oak tree up on top of the knoll. The birds were pretty sparse early on this year but have recently come back in large numbers, and it’s deafening most evenings when they’re not shooting. As a (mostly former) waterfowl hunter it pains me to not be able to hunt that field. Just don’t feel like paying, and tipping, and being guided 274 yards from my back door. Still fun to watch from my living room though.

I was talking to my wife about something like this. We are looking at houses and one backs to a farm that has a ton of geese in it at times. The development has a pond as part of the HOA, and the geese are in that pond a lot too. Told her I would probably go insane or go to prison for shooting the geese. Waterfowling/hunting is a terrible addiction for me. I would be waiting for one of those birds to make it into my yard, and then BOOM. lol

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I had a lot fly over my 5 dozen bigfeet this past Saturday. Some 20+bird groups have us a look but all seemed to head over to Melrose. I was just off watertank rd. I could put out 4 dozen more but only two of us hunted. First time out this year and my calling was rusty for sure. Heck, I haven't gone out for 3yrs! Started deer hunting, plus WF friends have not been reliable. Their always busy or don't want to get up super early.

Yep, it looks like the birds are back in the area. Saw a couple thousand around one farm I have permission to hunt. None on the farm itself, but my son, my dad, and I are going to give it a shot in the morning.

As far as calling goes, sometimes people call too much, and sometimes not enough. I really do believe it has to do with paying attention to how the birds in the air are calling and how they are responding to calls. It isn't the same every day and sometimes it isn't the same between groups.

Getting up early isn't my Achilles heal. It never has been. Lately, it is the being busy part of things. I am a lucky guy though. My 8 year old is chomping at the bit to get out there and already has all his gear by the door. My 5 year old is crying because she cannot come, but I promised her I would take her sporting clays shooting on Sunday. If they have my disease, my wife and I are going to be broke.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Did a float on the Monocacy this week. Geese were plentiful, especially near gravel bars. Only saw 4 ducks though, 3 mallard drakes and 1 black duck drake. Didn't bag any, unfortunately. I'm new to waterfowl and boy do those suckers fly fast!

lol - if you think those were fast, wait until you see woodies moving through the trees, teal, and bufflehead. Those suckers have afterburners and can go completely vertical.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    lol - if you think those were fast, wait until you see woodies moving through the trees, teal, and bufflehead. Those suckers have afterburners and can go completely vertical.

I'm sure! I went from "Hey! That's a black duck coming up the river" to dropping my paddle and grabbing my shotgun in less than a second and he was already right on top of me. Got better at dropping the kayak paddle and grabbing the gun earlier as the day went on. Hoping to get back out this weekend and try again. Need to see if I can pick up a cheap autoloader with interchangeable choke tubes though. Pump-action plus single-person kayak is a bit challenging.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I was talking to my wife about something like this. We are looking at houses and one backs to a farm that has a ton of geese in it at times. The development has a pond as part of the HOA, and the geese are in that pond a lot too. Told her I would probably go insane or go to prison for shooting the geese. Waterfowling/hunting is a terrible addiction for me. I would be waiting for one of those birds to make it into my yard, and then BOOM. lol

There are a few places in Fulton I could go shoot geese with a pellet gun or crossbow. I’m embarrassed to say how tempted I’ve been to the point of wondering if I’d get caught on a security cam :). I just shoot them with my finger and keep going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom