• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    Disney World for Boy Scouts. I went in 1978 out of the Baltimore Area Council. I still have my Philmont belt and buckle. Nothing quite like a walk in the Sangre de Cristo mountains. A life changing experience.

Were you able to stop anywhere on the way to and from DIA? We spent one night at the AF Academy eating dinner at the Flying W Ranch (burned down three years ago in a large wildfire) in Colorado Springs. Second night we spent at an Indian Kiva in Pueblo run by an Explorer Post/OA Lodge.

While living in Colorado I was able to visit the area several times. The NRA's Whittington Center is just up the road a bit closer to Raton. Very nice facility with ranges out past 1000 meters. They also have a very nice firearms museum.

I concur, it looks like a shaving knife.

I also went out of BAC and had the Kiva experience both times. Agree, a life changing experience.

We visited the AF Academy, Garden of Gods, Cave of Winds, and the best I think was Olympic and Paralympic training center. Our tour guide was Stetson Bardfield, paralympic shooting champion. You are hand selected and preferred to be livining and training at that center. The shooting facilities of the Olympic training center is the only part that is not funded by the committee...the NRA pays the way. And I didn't see one NRA logo or sign or statue or plaque....

We passed the Whittington Center. Is part of it underground? We didn't see much building structures so perhaps it is all outside. We were passing quick to get to basecamp.

The BSA Museum was moved to Philmont and it was fabulous. Could have spent days in the library.

Back to the knife....the handle is straight and doesn't seem right for a shaving knife to me. But I guess it's a possibility. It's a heavy knife too.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    OP, Edgeworks in Frederick will get it cleaned up and taken care of for you by professionals.

I did Philmont 20+ years ago and loved it. I was with a rather ambitious crew and we hiked from the Rayado drop off, all the way west to Rayado peak, then made our way back to the Tooth of Time, then on up to Baldy, and all the way up to the northernmost point before heading back down towards Cimmaron. I think we spent 10 days total for that and did 250 miles of hiking in that time. It was one hell of an experience.
    '

That's ridiculous amount of mileage! Thanks for Edgeworks in Frederick Idea. I bet they could tell me more about the knife.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dadgum ! Y'all's council must have been rich or crazy .

The Other Council used Charter busses , did various sightseeing stops along the way .Overnited either mil bases, or colleges out for the summer.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    If you want to do something yourself, you could probably start by taking some steel wool or a metal brush to all that rust. For the handle you probably need to press the brass pins out. I'd rig up a jig with something like a C-clamp and a couple pieces of wood with holes.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Dadgum ! Y'all's council must have been rich or crazy .

The Other Council used Charter busses , did various sightseeing stops along the way .Overnited either mil bases, or colleges out for the summer.

Mine was 626C4 in 2007 from NCAC. We flew out to Denver and took charter buses down. We had two nights in CO to acclimate before reaching Philmont plus a visit to Garden of the Gods. The first night was at a YMCA outside Denver and the second was at the Koshare Indian Museum. On the way back, we visited the USAF Academy.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Thanks so much! My third time there. in '86 and '88 as a youth and this year as an advisor with my Son. Amazing experience.

I was there in '89. I will never forget it. I loved it and hope to go back someday. Still have my boots with the stamp.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That's ridiculous amount of mileage! Thanks for Edgeworks in Frederick Idea. I bet they could tell me more about the knife.

Yep. We'd wake up extra early and get on the trail before light, there were at least two nights that we set up camp in the dark. Saw sunrise from the top of Baldy. Guy leading the expedition was determined to get the 250 under our belts. Got to see way more of the reserve than most crews do though.

We flew out to CO springs from Dulles and spent a week acclimating to the altitude. Climbed Grays and Torreys peaks to get a pair of 14'ers under our belts. That was the only time I ever got an altitude headache. We stayed at the hostel on base at Ft. Carson and ate in the officer's mess which was pretty nice. I know we also did the Royal Gorge bridge and some other sight seeing. Then we drove on down to Philmont and did our trek. It was a heck of a time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And once more I am an out of touch old fart dinosaur .

We did a mid level milage itinerary . But of course sunrise on Baldy .

At Memphis NAS , we had to eat in the enlisted mess . And the bunks there had serious bed bugs . But we did enjoy the swimming pool, and the base movie theater .

JB01

Nov 11, 2017
    I concur with the belief that this is a cake knife.
    You could remove the rust by applying "Evaporust" or similar product followed by polishing and sharpening. However, I am certain the tang is as rusted as the blade and I doubt just an application of rust remover will be adequate. For use and not restoration, do the above and allow the wood to dry. Then soak in a food safe oil to saturate the wood. Allow the wood to drain the excess oil. Then keep the knife oiled to prevent further rusting and handle oiled to prevent cracking.
    I doubt the knife is worth "professional" restoration.
    JB

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I was an Explorer Scout living in Albuquerque and worked at Philmont the summer of 1965. That was the year of the big flash flood. So we did not do a lot of the regular activities that year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom