• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should I sell it?

• Yes

Votes: 31 29.5%
    • No, selling a pre-ban is blasphemy!

Votes: 32 30.5%
    • No, and how dare you trash-talk an M1A!

Votes: 10 9.5%
    • No, never sell a gun, EVER.

Votes: 23 21.9%
    • I have no opinion, but love responding to polls.

Votes: 9 8.6%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have a pre-ban M1A Scout that I never shoot, and have no interest in shooting. These things look pretty, but the raw accuracy isn't there without a lot of work, the ergos aren't hot, and it feels too heavy for what it is.

Should I sell it and put the money into something better?

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    I voted yes because I'm in the exact same boat. I have a pre-ban M1A that I won't sell simply because I can't replace it. The thing is, I don't think it's that great of a rifle, way overrated. Accuracy is acceptable but nothing to write home about, mounting a scope is an exercise in futility, once you get it bedded for accuracy you can't disassemble it for cleaning very often without ruining the bedding, the iron sights are fantastic but the rifle is a mile long so it's not really a handy rifle that lends itself to iron sights.

I much prefer shooting my FAL or my AR308. It just sits in the safe collecting dust because I don't want to waste expensive ammo in it but I can't bring myself to sell it because I can't replace it.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    This is like when people call in to dave ramsey and ask him about selling a house or something that they own but don't really want but feel like they should keep it for some reason. He says, if you had x dollars piled up in the middle of the table right now would you go buy this item again?

I know you couldn't buy this M1A again if you wanted to but its the same idea. It sounds like if you had the cash instead of the gun and had the option to buy it right now you wouldnt do it. So it sounds like you should sell it.

Personally i have a buy and hold strategy with both mutual funds and guns.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Your gun...your money. We all have our price for buying, keeping and selling anything...not just a firearm. If it's not doing the job you want you won't get an argument from me if you decide to sell it.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    If you don't shoot it. Sell it. I cleaned out and sold five firearms in the last month that I hadn't shot in awhile. Going to buy something else in with proceeds

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I got $5 right here. I'll even pay for shipping to my local FFL.
    Well, with an offer like that, who could say no?

The "would you rather have $1500 or this tooled-up M1A?" question is an easy one: I'd rather have the $1500, hands-down. I don't even know what I'd buy with it instead.

Plus, I _do_ have the option of a Chinese M14 or 6.5CM M1A in case I get serious seller's remorse, unlikely as that is.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

The "would you rather have $1500 or this tooled-up M1A?" question is an easy one: I'd rather have the $1500, hands-down. I don't even know what I'd buy with it instead.

Plus, I _do_ have the option of a Chinese M14 or 6.5CM M1A in case I get serious seller's remorse, unlikely as that is.

I guess you're selling it then. Easy decision.

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    I have one too that I have never fired. Bought before the ban obviously with good intentions. Possibly sell out of state.

Last edited:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Sell it, and put the funds towards a SCAR-17 or the new 308 Bren 2.

I had a SCAR-17, It looked and felt great but I didn't get the groups I wanted out of it and I didn't need another .308 battle rifle with irons. My M1A NM shoots great. It is heavy, long, and the ergos aren't great but I'll never sell it. The Basset Machine mount worked extremely well for mounting a scope but I didn't like the chin weld the elevated scope height gave me, should have gone with the low mount, oh well.

Matt C.

Jan 13, 2019
    I'm an M1a guy so no, don't sell.
    Also pre ban. Don't know what you are looking for in accuracy but it's not hard to get 2 moa(with quality ammo)with irons out of that platform.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Sell what?

Attachments

• M1A's.jpg
      M1A's.jpg
      14.2 KB · Views: 293
    • 314.jpg
      314.jpg
      44.7 KB · Views: 321

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I saw this the other day and thought it was kind of interesting. OP I know this rifle probably wouldn't play a real role in your arsenal because you own "better" rifles but its still kind of a neat rifle to own.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

In the current market, it is unlikely that you'll get $1500 for it. I can get a new one for that much locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom