• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I'm getting ready to begin reloading 30-06 using Varget for my M1. I am quite literally freaking out about the possibility of bending the op rod and destroying my elderly warrior. Should I bite the bullet and stock yet another type of powder, or can I find a reliable and safe load using Varget and 155gr bullets? I have heard that the power of the load can be estimated by observing where the brass gets thrown. Is that a wives tale or a real thing? I have heard noting of the sort for modern rifles.

Second question: If I purchase and install an adjustable gas plug, does that mean I can no longer use standard M2 ball ammo in my M1?

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I'm getting ready to begin reloading 30-06 using Varget for my M1. I am quite literally freaking out about the possibility of bending the op rod and destroying my elderly warrior. Should I bite the bullet and stock yet another type of powder, or can I find a reliable and safe load using Varget and 155gr bullets? I have heard that the power of the load can be estimated by observing where the brass gets thrown. Is that a wives tale or a real thing? I have heard noting of the sort for modern rifles.

Second question: If I purchase and install an adjustable gas plug, does that mean I can no longer use standard M2 ball ammo in my M1?

Sir,

From all my research if you go to http://www.garandgear.com/ported-gas-plug.html you will find the part you need there. There maybe others, but I really think this will do the trick. I know of only four reasons why are Op Rod would get bent. You use modern ammo excessively, can be cured with a plug like this. Binding of the Op Rod, which you would have watch out for while servicing the rifle. Poor lubrication, a maintenance issue. And finally metal fatigue, which the only way to know with certainty would be to have it tested through a non-destructive testing. May understand is it will can be used with standard M2 Ball ammo. I can't answer your reloading question, as I don't reload yet. (I hope to one day, I just afraid of the cost and learning curve.)

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I'm not familiar with loads using Varget. I use 4064 and 4895 with pretty good results. The direction in which brass get thrown can be an open topic of debate. my experience with a couple different rifles has been brass will be thrown from 1 o'clock to about 5 depending on how well the rifle has been lubricated and condition of the extractor and ejector plunger as well as the type of en-bloc clip that is used and round count.
    As far as ported gas plugs go reloading to spec ammo will eliminate the need for one especially if you stay below 180 gr projie weight. Proper lube and and a an op-rod and spring that meets spec and making sure there is no stock interference that creates binding or op rod battering at the front of the receiver is a proven way to avoid op rod damage.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am pretty sure Varget is fine in the M1.

Go over to the CMP Forums to check.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I know of only four reasons why are Op Rod would get bent. You use modern ammo excessively, can be cured with a plug like this.

**I do not know the history of the weapon prior to receiving it. The serial number Is in the middle of the 6M range which tells me the receiver was manufactured the last year of the Korean war by IH. It has a CMP stock which looks brand new. I purchased it from a LGS. I suspect someone purchased it as a safe queen. I bought it to shoot. I have purchased and used only M2 milsurp ball ammo. Getting the old stuff can get spendy and I enjoy reloading which is where I plan to move. **

Binding of the Op Rod, which you would have watch out for while servicing the rifle.

**I will make a point of observing the movement and possible binding of the Op rod when cleaning and lubricating**

Poor lubrication, a maintenance issue.

** I have a tube of gun grease which I apply sparingly to the op rod exposed on the underside of the weapon, beneath the handguard. I apply both with the bolt open and closed. I will re review the field manual to ensure I have identified all the grease points.

And finally metal fatigue, which the only way to know with certainty would be to have it tested through a non-destructive testing.

**No way to tick that one off until It breaks :) Is there a source for replacement op rods or are they long gone?**

My understand is it will can be used with standard M2 Ball ammo. I can't answer your reloading question, as I don't reload yet. (I hope to one day, I just afraid of the cost and learning curve.)

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Hornady 10th Edition has load data specifically for the Garand with pressure measured at the gas port. Powders tested includes Varget and bullets range from 150/155gr to 178gr.
    Many M1 shooters love Varget. An adjustable gas plug isn't needed if you stick to tested loads. Spend the money on powder and load according to the Hornady book.
    Don't exceed the loads in the Hornady Garand section and you'll be quite safe.
    You can download the Hornady book in Kindle edition. I read it with the Kindle app on my laptop.
    Been loading for the M1 since about 1980 and shot thousands of handloads in NRA Highpower comp. Never bent an oprod, but never exceeded book loads specifically for the Garand either.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I know of only four reasons why are Op Rod would get bent. You use modern ammo excessively, can be cured with a plug like this.

**I do not know the history of the weapon prior to receiving it. The serial number Is in the middle of the 6M range which tells me the receiver was manufactured the last year of the Korean war by IH. It has a CMP stock which looks brand new. I purchased it from a LGS. I suspect someone purchased it as a safe queen. I bought it to shoot. I have purchased and used only M2 milsurp ball ammo. Getting the old stuff can get spendy and I enjoy reloading which is where I plan to move. **

Binding of the Op Rod, which you would have watch out for while servicing the rifle.

**I will make a point of observing the movement and possible binding of the Op rod when cleaning and lubricating**

Poor lubrication, a maintenance issue.

** I have a tube of gun grease which I apply sparingly to the op rod exposed on the underside of the weapon, beneath the handguard. I apply both with the bolt open and closed. I will re review the field manual to ensure I have identified all the grease points.

And finally metal fatigue, which the only way to know with certainty would be to have it tested through a non-destructive testing.

**No way to tick that one off until It breaks :) Is there a source for replacement op rods or are they long gone?**

My understand is it will can be used with standard M2 Ball ammo. I can't answer your reloading question, as I don't reload yet. (I hope to one day, I just afraid of the cost and learning curve.)

Hehyah! Goggle fu!

http://www.columbusmachine.com/oprod.htm

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Varget is perfectly fine for the M1. It's not all that different than 4885 or 4064. Also, the M1 is not some delicate made if bubble gun tool. the op rod is already bent, fyi. Seriously, varget is fine, no stick powders over 50 grains and you'll be fine

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    ok, ok. i'll quit acting like a ballerina and work up a ladder using Varget and M1 published load data. Those enbloc clips are starting to pile up :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom