• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Maybe the poster of #11 and #18 (paging Speed) can lend additional info regarding the primer brands used that show in the pictures.

These were federal march large rifle primers

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Duke, Almost makes a fella think maybe pistol primer cups were labeled as rifle.

Hell, who knows? Anything is possible I suppose. This thread alone seems to suggest issues of some sort with Federal Match and Winchester large rifle both. I guess they can all have issues of some sort from time to time. Seems odd with this one though.

I supplied Winchester with the lot numbers of what I have on the shelf in both large rifle and large pistol. I tend to use Winchester large pistol primers over other brands, only because of the oddity with Winchester (LP only) that the one large pistol SKU can cover both standard and magnum loadings. Curious as to what info they come back with.

In any event, I had not heard about this. It seems from what I read that they perhaps acknowledge the possibility of a problem, but there is no recall per se. Nothing unusual about that though. Happens all the time. Ask and we'll acknowledge if in fact a problem may have been previously reported sort of thing.

If I receive from Winchester any info of general interest to the group, I'll be posting it here in this thread. Thanks again for the "heads up"!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just because YOU'VE never experienced/heard of it, doesn't mean it didn't happen or likely the cause. This particular gentlemen shoots VERY often and knowledgeable. He is a high master in both long/mid range fclass and usually places in the top 3 at regionals etc. So I will take him at his word over someone on the internet.

Ken Livengood is another shooter there and can vouch. Google Ken's name, accomplished shooter and gunsmith.

Feel free to contact Federal and ask them about their large match primers and the cups.

I am NOT saying that it did not happen to him.

I am saying that Federal's comment seems like BS. I can see lots of defective primers, but their statement about all primers over time doesn't pass the smell test.

My point with CMP forums is a bunch of people shooting a LOT of old ammo. And not having seen this problem reported. If primers did what they say, then there should be a lot more reports of this happening.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I am NOT saying that it did not happen to him.

I am saying that Federal's comment seems like BS. I can see lots of defective primers, but their statement about all primers over time doesn't pass the smell test.

My point with CMP forums is a bunch of people shooting a LOT of old ammo. And not having seen this problem reported. If primers did what they say, then there should be a lot more reports of this happening.

See post 44 for the link to CMP, showing same issue.

I agree, there are older primers seem fine but that is what he was told. IDK, I'll make sure to shoot all mine before 10 years LOL

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Question, if a primer pocket was plugged, how would flash get to powder? AND,, if pocket was plugged, and somehow the powder charge lit,, the pocket is plugged, and blocked by the seated primer, how does gasses get past plug and primer?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some of the same discussion going on here almost at the same time as over there.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=265871

That is with new reloads.

So likely loose primer pockets, possibly with headspace issues. Or defective primers.

Which is entirely possible what happened to the person in the OP.

Not old primers like Federal is trying to say. My comment was NOT seeing this in old ammo. It seems like the two reports so far have been with reloads.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    My guess is a problem with the manufacture of the primer cup material sheet and or how the primer compound has been distributed in the cup.
    Could also be end user handling of the brass case, seating/ loading technique or over manipulation of the Flash hole or primer pocket.
    I have German made surplus ammo with brittle primer cups that sometimes leak around primer annulus even with sealing compound included during original manufacture.
    I think if one could observe where the flame cutting is coming from,whether it be inside the primer cup or in between the primer Skirt and recess would help

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Reloading is a demanding craft...

Reloading means building little bombs that go off near your face...

After tumbling your brass an inspection of each piece of brass needs to be done before reloading...

1st Inspect the brass for signs of OVER PRESSURE, look for loose primer pockets, smashed engraving or bulges. If it is questionable, throw it away right now...

2nd Inspect the prmer pocket to make sure that the flash hole is clear & inside of the brass is clear of any debris...

3rd Inspect the open end of the brass for any splits...

4th Inspect the overall length of the brass to see if it is below the maximum lenght or it needs to be trimmed before reloading. If the finished round is too long the bolt may not fully close...

Hope this is helpful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom