• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Has anyone looked at the AK's being built by Mark Graham at ARS? He is well known in the FAL world, with those kits drying up he has moved into AK building.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/store/storeguns/pagestoreguns.htm

If you tell him it is being sent to MD he will ship without a mag but I don't know if he would give you a credit for the mag.

I don't have a FAL by him, my mistake, but I do have a BHP that he did and it is great.

I've heard very good things about his AKs. I almost ordered one, but decided at the last minute to stick with Lancaster since they are a known good entity to me. But from everything I've read, the ARS AKs are top notch in all respects.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    If anyone is interested, I can bring one of each specimen that I own to the Fall shoot for comparison. I can bring a Yugo (fixed or folding), a Lancaster Romy G, and a Lancaster Polish underfolder. I refuse to even touch the RPK, so don't even ask ;).

I might have to make the effort to make it out to the shoot after all :party29:

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Has anyone looked at the AK's being built by Mark Graham at ARS? He is well known in the FAL world, with those kits drying up he has moved into AK building.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/store/storeguns/pagestoreguns.htm

If you tell him it is being sent to MD he will ship without a mag but I don't know if he would give you a credit for the mag.

I don't have a FAL by him, my mistake, but I do have a BHP that he did and it is great.

He was one of the top choices I was looking at before I wound up going for a Saiga conversion. His work is well regarded by those who've handled his AKs. h2u has at least one AK by him IIRC.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    He was one of the top choices I was looking at before I wound up going for a Saiga conversion. His work is well regarded by those who've handled his AKs. h2u has at least one AK by him IIRC.

I don't own an ARS, but I did actually get to handle many of his AK's when I attended a gunshow in AZ (thanks for the heads up DD214). I have not had the opportunity to see a Lancaster in person, so I can't make a comparison between the two. I would definitely feel comfortable purchasing anything that Gunplumber (ARS) builds. Also, I have heard many great things about Lancaster as well.

Alucard- how dare you post a pic of the S-12 with the "mythical" Russian 8rd mag ;) You just made me cry...........I can't afford them at $150 each-when they pop up occasionally :sad20:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    The Saiga conversions are newer than most of the other builds (saigas themselves and do-it-yourself conversions have been around for a while though), but more or less they convert a sporterized AK to a standard pistol gripped pattern, as Simon stated the quality of the conversion varies by manufacturer. The Saigas are probably one of the most under-rated AKs. They are an honest to goodness Russian, with fairly tight tolerences, and a really good finish. To be able to import them, they have a one peice handguard, and a funky one peice stock, no pistolgrip. To reach the trigger, the entire trigger group is moved rearward a couple inches to where the grip would normally mount. They are one of the highest quality, and most consistent AKs around, and as a sporter model, they are dirt cheap. The conversions relocate the trigger group forward, and refit the rifles with an AK pattern stock and pistolgrip, most leave the large, cool and comfortable front handguard, some replace it with a quad rail or synthetic guard set. Once converted they go for around the same as the lancasters, and are about equally well finished. You can do a conversion yourself, but it is easy to screw up the rifle, and you would need to refinish, but being a Russian, these take most all of the standard aftermarket gear available once converted. The other neat thing with saigas, is that you can find conversions in a wide variety of calibers, including 7.62X39, .223rem, .308, and even .410 and 12 ga smoothbores, although mags for the alternate chamberings can be hard to come by.

unconverted saiga:
    G039.jpg

converted saiga with standard forearm, 7.62X39:
    saiga762.jpg

converted saiga 12ga with aftermarket goodies:
    SaigaZw.jpg

With any AK, inspecting it before buying is key, canted sights and gas blocks are not uncommon in the Yugos, and have been ound in the ther varities, as DD said though, Lancaster's customer service is top notch, and would also be a consideration in buying an AK

This is a GREAT Thread!!! I've had a stiffy for the Saiga rifle now for about month but just didn't have the $$ until last week. I just got an email that mine was shipped today and hopefully get here by the end of the week....ZING!!!

The Saiga conversion pix are excellent!!! I'd like the one with side folding stock. Can you recommend a few conversion kits and where can I buy them (Cheaper than Dirt? or where?).

THANKS!!! i'll keep checking back on this thread!!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Alucard- how dare you post a pic of the S-12 with the "mythical" Russian 8rd mag ;) You just made me cry...........I can't afford them at $150 each-when they pop up occasionally :sad20:

Yup, the good ol 8rd unicorn:D You can always just get a reliable 20rd drum for $300 or there abouts:lol2:

This is a GREAT Thread!!! I've had a stiffy for the Saiga rifle now for about month but just didn't have the $$ until last week. I just got an email that mine was shipped today and hopefully get here by the end of the week....ZING!!!

The Saiga conversion pix are excellent!!! I'd like the one with side folding stock. Can you recommend a few conversion kits and where can I buy them (Cheaper than Dirt? or where?).

THANKS!!! i'll keep checking back on this thread!!

This is the best writeup on the saiga conversions I have found. It has links to vendors that sell the hardware and parts.
    saiga conversion step by step

The split where the recievers have the rear trigger hole already cut seems to be around 05. Being a russian AK, you can pick any standard "stamped reciever" stock and pistol grip, along with internal parts, and it will work. The forend is a little tricky, you can find some 4 rail and galil style guards that work with the saiga, but the saiga uses a screw and the sling swivel to hold the hanguard on, and doesn't have the mounting plates that normal AKs have, however you can install them by basically hammering out the pins, and pressing the gas block and sight off to strip the barrel down, then slide a lower guard front plate on, and reassemble the barrel, and either replace the gas tube with a standard one, or you have to form one and weld it on in the alternate calibers. This is a lot of work considering the standard forarm keeps things cool, and there are aftermarket rails available specifically for the saiga, but it can be done.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Hey simplegreen, I've got a WASR-10 and I know someone with a WASR-2 (5.45 version) if you want to bang off some rounds at Elk Neck sometime. Just let me know.

They are not the nicest AK's out there, but they are reliable and fairly accurate. WASR's are luck of the draw sometimes so it's best to hand pick, but if you can get a good one it's a decent AK on the cheap.

That being said the Yugo's and Bulgarians are a lot nicer in overall fit and finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom