• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    .308 hbar ar-15 Group Buy! Springfield, RRA, Colt maybe?

Id be interested in that rifle if it had a longer barrel, id be interested in the above as im familiar with the manual of arms!!! Hoooah!! Airborne!

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    So I'm curious, what do people who've shot and maintained a variety of .308 rifles think of the PTR compared to other semi-automatic offerings like the FAL, M-14, AR-10, etc.?

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    So I'm curious, what do people who've shot and maintained a variety of .308 rifles think of the PTR compared to other semi-automatic offerings like the FAL, M-14, AR-10, etc.?

I've got a PTR, FAL, and M1A, but to be honest, I don't know how to answer your question. They are each unique weapons in their own right. That said, if I had to keep just one, it would hands down be the FAL. In fact, my FAL is by far my favorite rifle in my collection. You really can't go wrong with any of the choices you mentioned.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I had an HK 93, 5.56 version, it was a good gun.I can't remember a jam or failure with it. The FAL is new to me, need more time to get to know it.

I don't consider the HK design or the FAL a match gun, but they are good shooters.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    My favorite full-sized semi is my FN-49. Okay, so it's in 8x57 Mauser and not .308 but what a rifle! Dead on accurate, fairly easy recoil (for an 8x57) and reliable as hell.

fn49003.jpg

I've never handled anything in .308 that I've liked more than an M1A. Though I've never had the chance to fire an FAL. But I love the feel and balance of the M1A as well as the Garand style sights.

While we're discussing it I'll also throw out the MAS 49/56 in .308. The caliber conversion from 7.5 French was done by Century and some are not reliable but if you get a good one they are awesome little rifles. Add to that they still run around 500 bucks and are not on "the list."

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    I like them better than the FAL. As for price, that is the deciding factor. People wanting to go the cheap route can get a CETME for 400 or a Hesse/Century version for 600-700. PTR's usually go 900+. What's the price going to be?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I like them better than the FAL. As for price, that is the deciding factor. People wanting to go the cheap route can get a CETME for 400 or a Hesse/Century version for 600-700. PTR's usually go 900+. What's the price going to be?

Yes, price details PLEASE!!! I've heard great things about the PTR's and would definitely be interested with a decent price break. What is the timeframe of this again? I think this might end up as a birthday gun... :D (sorry UZI, 1911, or USP, you'll just have to wait... :sad20:)

nebula8080

Dec 30, 2007
    Sorry this did die on the vine. I used vince up @ Gideon Gun Sales to get my PTR.

To answer your question about part kits...they are hard to come by. Adam @ HK parts doesnt have any. I've seen a few FMP kits pop up on funbroker, but looked to be poor quality.

nebula8080

Dec 30, 2007
    Its too bad this group buy never got legs, but I did want to pass on I got a great deal from Vince @ Gideon Gun Sales on my 91F (just picked up today finally). $998 + $10 + Tax.

Also I dont know if I just got really, really lucky....but when I got home and took apart the rifle I almost sh*t a brick. What do I find but a new, old stock rheinmetall one piece forged bolt carrier inside the rifle. Manufacture date 08/63!!! :gun7:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom