• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I googled Otis cleaning kits. Interesting idea. I wonder who sells them locally? I live in Frederick. I am also interested in the bore snake if I could reasonably clean it. Can you wash them my hand in the sink?

Dick's in Gaithersburg has the OTIS kit.

piste

Aug 27, 2008
    I started with the Otis system..still use on occasion and remain a fan. My only issue with it is for "big" jobs. With a 75 year old Mosin Nagant it takes a LOT of passes between wet patches, dry patches, and brushes. So now I use Tipton carbon fiber rods which I like a lot. I can do 10 passes of a brush in the time I could do 2 or 3 with the Otis.

Bore snakes...never used one but dislike for reasons already listed. Also would think they have a very limited useful life?? My brass brushes last a few cleanings before they are worn beyond effectiveness. With the bore snake the brush is built in so won't you only get a few effective cleanings before the brush part becomes ineffective.???

phillywilly

May 30, 2008
    Germantown
    Cleaning my new Marlin 336 after shooting a box of ammo to try it out, I followed basically the same procedure. However try as I might to avoid it the rod would bow a little bit as I pushed it through the bore and it would contact the bore.

Why didn't you just take down the marlin? you just unscrew the lever and remove the bolt and you have a clear path to the chamber. just a screwdriver and about a minute to do. just don't lose your ejector.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Why didn't you just take down the marlin? you just unscrew the lever and remove the bolt and you have a clear path to the chamber. just a screwdriver and about a minute to do. just don't lose your ejector.

+1, I never clean mine from the muzzle, and this is the only way to properly clean the chamber and bolt face, and lube it.

I use a poly coated steel rod with a guide, it doesn't flex or break like the brass ones, the guide keeps it centered when cleaning from the chamber, and also on the muzzle end on the couple rifles I have to clean that way.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Sorry, I have not notice the activity on this thread.

To phillywilly and alucard0822, yes I now just take down the lever assembly. Guess I should have started out by reading the manual.:sign07:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom