• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I just picked up a pre-64 Winchester 94 in 32 Winchester Special. According to the serial number, it's made between 1942 and 1947. Unfortunately, it has been drilled and scoped using a sidemount that holds a pretty nice Weaver K-series scope. Anybody have any experience shooting/hunting with 32 Winchester Special? I have read it's like a 30-30, but makes a bigger hole. I plan on hunting deer/hogs/woodchucks with this gun.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    It's a good round, SLIGHTLY better than a 30-30 in regular form. 6 of one, half dozen of another. Good for all the above mentioned except maybe woodchuck, like the 30-30 trajectory over 125 yards or so.

Do they make a leverrevolution round for it I dunno.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    It's a good round, SLIGHTLY better than a 30-30 in regular form. 6 of one, half dozen of another. Good for all the above mentioned except maybe woodchuck, like the 30-30 trajectory over 125 yards or so.

Do they make a leverrevolution round for it I dunno.

Thanks for the info. I guess it's a bit heavy for woodchucks:D...I can continue to use a 22 for that. I have seen that Hornady makes the 32 Win Special in their LeverEvolution line, with a 165 Gr. FTX bullet. According to Hornady's website, their loading (2410FPS/2128 Ft/Lbs of ME) for the 32 Win Special is somewhat more powerful than a standard 170 Gr. 30-30 (2200FPS/1827Ft./Lbs of ME).

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    A friend has one of those 94 Wins in 32 Win Special. I had not heard of it and did some research, and yes it is quite comparable to 30-30 ballistically, and was very popular in the day for dear out to 100 yards max. I have no personal experience but that's what all the research said. Why it fell out of favor I don't know other than perhaps fewer rifles where chambered in it. BTW, my 30-30 does perform much better with the leverevolution ammo. There are two different grain sizes available and both perform better than other ammo in it. I have not seen the leverevolution in 32 win special. I suspect its not a popular enough round?

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    I have my grandfather's Winchester 55 in .32 Win Special. Before the Hornady Leverevolution came out, ammo was just about impossible to find. Now it's just difficult. I took it to the range once and put a box and a half of ammo through it. It's not exactly a fun plinker.

One of these days I'd like to hunt with it. Feels like the proper thing to do since it was my grandfather's main hunting rifle.

I have a model 94 wrangler in .32 win special and have killed quite a few whitetails with it. Hits a little harder than the 30-30 but very similar. Good deer hunting gun. Factory ammo is harder to find and way more expensive than 30-30. When I find some I usually buy it just to have. Have fun with it.:)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Good round, ammo is available but typically seasonal along with a number of other quasi-obsolete rounds.

Its a little better than 30-30 but not noticably.

Its on my lever gun list if I come across the right gun at the right price.

Rhino

Dec 6, 2008
    Mount Airy
    I have one in the same range of 1943-1948, it is a great gun for driving deer. Very light, easy to aim, packs a good punch (slightly more than a 30-30). I have never had a problem finding Remington ammo at Bass Pro, although not the cheapest. They just don't make guns like this anymore. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_9848.jpg
      IMG_9848.jpg
      42.5 KB · Views: 168

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I have one in the same range of 1943-1948, it is a great gun for driving deer. Very light, easy to aim, packs a good punch (slightly more than a 30-30). I have never had a problem finding Remington ammo at Bass Pro, although not the cheapest. They just don't make guns like this anymore. :thumbsup:

I agree with you...they don't make them like that anymore. Does yours have a 'BH' and 'M' stamp under the reciever? My rifle has a BH near the trigger and an M on the bottom back on the bottom tang.

I managed to find a box of Remington Core Lokt at Bass Pro. Thanks!

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    .32 is a very nice round. A little heavy for woodchucks. Your date range puts it into the war production years which could give it some value but drilling for the scope takes value away. I think that .32 is manufactured in limited runs so buy it when you see it. I've never had too much trouble finding ammo. Just a note, .32 winchester special is different from .32WCF which is .32-20. I personally like the round very much.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I figured that the drilling pretty much takes all collector value away, but this is going to be used, so I thought no harm no foul. I have an undrilled (actually almost new) 94 made around 1959 in 30-30 that will be considered a collector's piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom