Cleaning a CCW pistol after firing at range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    I never really thought about it before I received my Utah permit, but I heard someone mention that a semi-auto chosen for CCW should never be cleaned after you fire it at the range.

I understand the logic in that you may put it back together incorrectly and it may not function when your life depends on it, but it drives me crazy to know that my pistol is dirty, as I have always done a thorough disassemble and cleaning when I got home.

I'm pretty confident in my skills when I take it apart and put it back together, and have never had a malfunction the next time at the range.

I'm pretty sure that the residue from the factory ammo I use will not cause damage to the gun, but is this the normal SOP for a pistol you are going to carry?

JCarlton81

Oct 13, 2012
    Severn
    I know many competitive shooters do not clean their pistols after training. They get it shooting the way they want for competition, oil it and leave it alone. They do this to maintain consistency between training and matches.

As far as CCW, I believe in the same principle; get it firing the way I want, wipe down the outside and then holster it until I need it. If you have spent any time in the service, it is counter intuitive to leave a gun dirty after firing it, and then say you are willing to stake your life on it. But as long as you have a quality firearms, there is no need to clean it after each trip to the range.

Daiuy

May 31, 2013
    If you do a function check after cleaning that should reassure you that it is put back together properly. I am old Army and cannot let a firearm remain uncleaned.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You firing 1,000 rounds?
    Not that I've seen to the contrary and unless they have a separate facility, I've never seen a range that allows/condones, etc... cleaning weapons on the line, if this is what you meant.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I give my CCW piece a light cleaning every week or two, and after a range trip. I field strip, run a dry boresnake, clean out lint with Q-tips, wipe it down, lube it with grease, then function check. I'm sure my pistol would run dirty with no problem, but if I'm going to lube it, might as well clean it while I'm there. If nothing else it comforts me to check it's function, and the ammo condition, it takes 5 minutes. If you can't put your pistol back together right, or don't know how to clean and lube it, probably should address that first before carrying it. Pretty much the main thing to avoid is getting oil or grease anywhere near the mag or chamber, over time it can foul ammo.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I don't know about after firing but I do recommend that any CCW piece be cleaned of lint and crap every once in a while. I pocket carry my PF9, I need to blow out the dust bunnies with some canned air.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I give my CCW piece a light cleaning every week or two, and after a range trip. I field strip, run a dry boresnake, clean out lint with Q-tips, wipe it down, lube it with grease, then function check. I'm sure my pistol would run dirty with no problem, but if I'm going to lube it, might as well clean it while I'm there. If nothing else it comforts me to check it's function, and the ammo condition, it takes 5 minutes. If you can't put your pistol back together right, or don't know how to clean and lube it, probably should address that first before carrying it. Pretty much the main thing to avoid is getting oil or grease anywhere near the mag or chamber, over time it can foul ammo.

This. You don't have to take it apart to it's screws to clean it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Great post! :thumbsup:

I do the same at roughly the same interval for my carry pieces.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    If you do a function check after cleaning that should reassure you that it is put back together properly. I am old Army and cannot let a firearm remain uncleaned.

And that is exactly one of the reasons the Army's weapons are perpetually f'ed up. So do yourself a favor and break the habit.

shooting again

Feb 27, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    In my experience (30 years active Army plus basic and officer training) the Army's cleaning "fetish" has many training and discipline factors in it besides functioning and preservation. Also not many of us subject our weapons to the same conditions of dirt, water, mud, etc., that happens when you take it everywhere you go.

In my early years I was picked up on an Army pistol team. We swabbed and oiled regularly but seldom did a full cleaning - that was based on when it needed it. And then the next few magazines were considered as break-in rounds to get it back to the normal, and consistent, level of dirty.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

Well said. I follow the same general procedure and agree that if you can't feild strip and reassymble your carry gun then maybe you should consider more training before carrying.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    In my experience (30 years active Army plus basic and officer training) the Army's cleaning "fetish" has many training and discipline factors in it besides functioning and preservation. Also not many of us subject our weapons to the same conditions of dirt, water, mud, etc., that happens when you take it everywhere you go.

In my early years I was picked up on an Army pistol team. We swabbed and oiled regularly but seldom did a full cleaning - that was based on when it needed it. And then the next few magazines were considered as break-in rounds to get it back to the normal, and consistent, level of dirty.

I have a similar background and continue to work as a DA Civilian directly with all small arms systems. I don't care what it is rooted in, it is broken and wrong. Not only does it teach bad habits that have a direct negative impact on the life cycle of the weapons, it also perpetuates myths regarding the same as well as employment of the systems. It all starts in Basic Combat Training.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I clean and lube my guns before and after I shoot them.
    Besides being a bit OCD, I just don't see how carrying a dirty gun can be to your advantage.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have a similar background and continue to work as a DA Civilian directly with all small arms systems. I don't care what it is rooted in, it is broken and wrong. Not only does it teach bad habits that have a direct negative impact on the life cycle of the weapons, it also perpetuates myths regarding the same as well as employment of the systems. It all starts in Basic Combat Training.

Glad you posted in this thread, what would you recommend for a CCW piece? I carry a G30SF or G20SF. Carry daily, check and clean every week or two. I clear it, check the ammo, swab the dust, pull the slide, dry snake it, wipe off the old lube, re-lube the locking shoulder, around the muzzle end of the barrel, and a small dab in the rails with a light amount of synthetic grease, wipe everything else clean with a dry cloth, reassemble, check it, then load up and carry on.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Clean mine after every range visit and check it out about once a month if I dont get to the range for any issues. When I say cleaning I mean feild stripping, cleaning the barrel, cleaning the slide rails and the inside of the mag well, lubricating and assemble.

Never had my guns totally taken apart and cleaned, never had a function problem.

TD

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    Not sure where the idea that I couldn't clean and reassemble is coming from.

Maybe my definition of "cleaning" is different from yours, perhaps I should have wrote "field strip" as I am certainly not taking any screws out - just removing the slide, spring and barrel, cleaning all powder residue and copper fouling if present, and a light oiling of the appropriate places. I have been doing this as soon as I get home from the range, for every gun I own, for over 30 years.

I'm pretty sure I posted that I have never had a problem with a pistol not performing after a cleaning. Not really even sure as to what I could do when cleaning it to prevent it from firing the next time I needed it, that's what I asked the question here. (I was told this by the instructor when I took the Utah class, btw.)

Thanks for your varied insights and responses.

Daiuy

May 31, 2013
    And that is exactly one of the reasons the Army's weapons are perpetually f'ed up. So do yourself a favor and break the habit.

Do you have some experience in this regard or just passing on rumors of how bad the weapons are made by the lowest bidder. For 31 years my life and the lives of my men relied with success on our weapons and equipment. I will admit the last ACU camo pattern was a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom