• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I am going to be hunting in Maine for a week in November, and according to the laws, you are limited to 5 round mags. I have searched this site, youtube, google in order to make my own, but it sounds like a pain. I found some 5 round mags from Remington, ACS, Bushmaster on CTD. BTW, Magpul has minus 5 and 10 round limiters, but they are not permanent.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the best option? I just want it to be reliable and would probably want two of them to take with me. If anybody wants to loan me some or trade for something, I would be happy to do that, too.

Thanks all!

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

Thanks. I imagine these will would work if there are no other options. Anyone have experience with them?

Magpul has a 10 round mag and a 5 round limiter you can put in it.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG559/PMAG

EDIT

Missed where you already mentioned the magpul option. Maybe some JB Weld to make it permanent?

I guess JB weld would make it permanent. I also thought of just putting a rivet through it. I don't need to caught with something that doesn't meet the law. Then I ruin a 20 and still go to the jail cell :sad20:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Five round AR magazines, in stock:

Stainless Steel: $19.99
    http://www.44mag.com/product/5_round_ar_15_magazine/223_ar15_magazines

Aluminum: $14.88
    http://www.44mag.com/product/5_round_ar15_magazine/223_ar15_magazines

You could make a 'plug' to fit between the follower and the floorplate, out of some hard plastic.
    Taper the shape to fit inside the center of the spring coils, and secure it to the follower.
    When you load the cartridges, this 'plug' would bottom-out on the floorplate, when 5 rounds have been inserted.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Why does it have to be permanent? When shotguns are plugged to limit capacity its not like it has to be welded in place. Just a screwdriver (if that) and they will come out. I would think the magpul follower limiter serves the same type of function.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Why does it have to be permanent? When shotguns are plugged to limit capacity its not like it has to be welded in place. Just a screwdriver (if that) and they will come out. I would think the magpul follower limiter serves the same type of function.

Unfortunately, that is what it says in the regs.

"It is unlawful to hunt with or possess for hunting any auto-loading firearm which has a magazine capacity of more than 5 cartridges (plus 1 in the chamber for a total of 6), unless the magazine has been permanently altered to contain not more than 5 cartridges. (Note: This provision does not apply to .22 caliber rimfire guns or to auto-loading pistols with barrel lengths of less than 8 inches.)"

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Unfortunately, that is what it says in the regs.

"It is unlawful to hunt with or possess for hunting any auto-loading firearm which has a magazine capacity of more than 5 cartridges (plus 1 in the chamber for a total of 6), unless the magazine has been permanently altered to contain not more than 5 cartridges. (Note: This provision does not apply to .22 caliber rimfire guns or to auto-loading pistols with barrel lengths of less than 8 inches.)"

So, put a block in the 20 round magazine, and use two rivets and an "L" mending bracket, to 'permanently' alter the magazine.

Then, when you come home, use a 1/8" drillbit and drill out the rivets to return the magazine to it's former state.

If you do it right, the rivets will be the ONLY thing you see from the outside.
    The "L" mending bracket can be on the inside of the magazine.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Spend the $15.99. It's not worth losing your 2a rights over. After all, how much are you spending on the trip it self? Don't go cheap on something that could affect the rest of your life....
    Just my .02

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Overboost44....PM me when convenient. I have permanent, riveted 5 round Colt mags you can borrow....

Thanks for the suggestions all. Rack&roll has generously offered to let me use his. I was going to go with the rivet method that byf43 mentioned, but this is better. I have hunted up there before, but not with the AR, and am hoping to shoot some coyote or snowshoe with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom