• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I am not the whistleblower... but I do have first hand knowledge of BCA... wouldn't sh!t on the best part. YMMV.

pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    Okay, so a proper AK47 is banned. VZ may or may not be better, but it is not an AK47. Oh well.

As for AR, what's a good complete build that won't break the bank? I wanted a PSA but not sure if they have any MD compliant?

You are going to be out of luck for a complete build. Most manufacturers don't want to jump through the hoops of making a specific HBAR model just for one state.

However, if you are going PSA, their lowers are cheap-get that (they transfer as "other", not a rifle) and then get one of their pistol build kits (lower parts kit, buffer and "brace" of choice, and complete upper of choice). Its very affordable. Then its just a few minutes of assembly at home with youtube/minimal tools, or go to a gunsmith and you should be good to go. No need to worry about HBAR at all.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I know , Md is the twilight zone .

FSA says all variations of Kalashnikov .
    Various rifles that would seem on their face to be included , are listed on the Approved List .

Don't try to make sense of it . If somthing on the Approved List strikes your fancy , buy it now , bef4 MSP changes their minds again .

Since the list is not legally binding, even if you bought something that MSP said was legal, but it was later determined to not be legal, you could have some issues.

It is like the AR if not 5.56 being legal. FSA says AR-15. It does not specify caliber. Other rifles (Mini-14 for one) DO specify caliber.

rsupreme

Nov 15, 2019
    Oh. That is disappointing.

Btw, pinecone... That name rings a bell. Were you ever active on bimmerfest or roadfly?

rsupreme

Nov 15, 2019
    I think I might have this thing figured out now. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

AR-15:
    Illegal to purchase or build in MD now unless A) has heavy barrel, or B) comes in pistol or SBR form.

AK-47:
    Illegal to purchase or build in MD now unless it comes in pistol or SBR form.

For both, can purchase pistol and put a brace on without issue.
    For both, can modify pistol into SBR if first apply using ATF NFA Form 1 (use Form 4 to purchase if already SBR). Then if wish to transport away from current location, must apply with Form 20 and do so annually.

SLR is legal but is not an AK. vz 58 is also legal but is not an AK (looks like one externally but has different internals).

Does that sum it up correctly?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    A pre-2013 style AR can legally be built on an AR lower receiver that was purchased before October 1 2013. After that date, ARs must be HBAR if built or purchased in rifle configuration. A lower receiver that was purchased as "O" (for "other") can be built into a pistol or a rifle. If a rifle build, it has to be HBAR, and once built as a rifle, cannot be legally reconfigured as a pistol. However, if the receiver is first built as a pistol, it may legally be converted into a (HBAR) rifle, and back again into a psitol, if you wish.

AK-style rifles are illegal to purchase since 10/1/2013, in 7.62x39. Other calibers are not affected by the 2013 legislation.

You can continue to own them legally if you owned them before 10/1/2013. (I believe "ownership" may also include rifles purchased/paid for before that date, but perhaps not received until after 10/1/2013. The failure of MSP to return "Not Disapproved" paperwork for months after submission created a nightmare situation in MD at the time.)

I believe the above to be true at the present moment. What may change after the GA goes into session in January is unknowable, and probably will be absurd, incomprehensible in the usual GA legislative style, and flagrantly unconstitutional. Plan ahead, and prepare to present yourself in Annapolis this coming legislative season.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I think I might have this thing figured out now. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

AR-15:
    Illegal to purchase or build in MD now unless A) has heavy barrel, or B) comes in pistol or SBR form.

AK-47:
    Illegal to purchase or build in MD now unless it comes in pistol or SBR form.

For both, can purchase pistol and put a brace on without issue.
    For both, can modify pistol into SBR if first apply using ATF NFA Form 1 (use Form 4 to purchase if already SBR). Then if wish to transport away from current location, must apply with Form 20 and do so annually.

SLR is legal but is not an AK. vz 58 is also legal but is not an AK (looks like one externally but has different internals).

Does that sum it up correctly?

Regarding making AK pistols into a SBR you can not take an AK pistol and make it an SBR if it would be a copy of a banned rifle. Turning something like a Century Arms C39V2 pistol or Arsenal SAM7K pistol into a SBR will be denied by the ATF under Maryland’s copycat law since both rifle versions are banned. I unfortunately learned that after spending $900 on my C39V2 pistol. Draco pistols and other varieties that don’t have a rifle version should be fine but I haven’t bought a Draco yet to try it on.

Trust me it’s no fun buying a gun, filling out the paperwork, having fingerprints taken, spending $200, and waiting weeks only to get denied because it would be a copycat and then waiting weeks for a refund.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I know , Md is the twilight zone .

FSA says all variations of Kalashnikov .
    Various rifles that would seem on their face to be included , are listed on the Approved List .

Don't try to make sense of it . If somthing on the Approved List strikes your fancy , buy it now , bef4 MSP changes their minds again .

According to my local shop, this is 100% MD legal.

https://www.centuryarms.com/vska-wood-7-62-x-39.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sirex