• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lilmike1464

Oct 12, 2013
    Baltimore City, MD
    Yea I'm pretty sure they're banned. It's a Barrett semi-auto 50 cal. That is specifically banned.

Edit: His profile says he's a retired msp so I think he can still buy "banned" firearms as long as he retired in good standing.

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    I wouldn't mess with .50BMG AR uppers in MD. I've read that they beat up the lowers pretty badly, and given that (non HBAR) lowers in MD are irreplaceable, I wouldn't chance it.

Granted, that assumes you can afford to shoot enough ammo through it to beat up the lower. But if you can afford to feed a .50BMG, then you can probably afford a dedicated .50BMG rifle.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I am looking for a 50 caliber that is legal in Maryland. I know they are quite expensive. I am using it for target practice. Looking for a step up from my SCAR 17. It can be bolt action or semi automatic. Suggestions?

GDRFB
    A lot of ranges don't allow 50cal rifles because they damage the targets too much. Why not consider something in between where ammo doesn't cost $5-$10 per round.
    Dick's SG in Hagertown has a full tactical Savage 10FCP in .338 Lapua, complete with LR stock and muzzlebrake, and they have Hornady .338 Lapua Match ammo in stock. $1699.

lilmike1464

Oct 12, 2013
    Baltimore City, MD
    A lot of ranges don't allow 50cal rifles because they damage the targets too much. Why not consider something in between where ammo doesn't cost $5-$10 per round.
    Dick's SG in Hagertown has a full tactical Savage 10FCP in .338 Lapua, complete with LR stock and muzzlebrake, and they have Hornady .338 Lapua Match ammo in stock. $1699.

My .338 lapua ammo runs about $84/box of 20. You can get the ppu ammo for $60/box but it's hard to find. If you compare ammo prices, you can get both for ~$3.00 a round, but you can often find the 50bmg for about $2.75 a round on the interweb. 338 rounds definitely go up to the $10/round range too. A box of Remington runs around $150/box of 20

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I was thinking beowulf upper for my AR15 lower.

Beowulf is a .50 cal, but that is different than a 50 cal BMG (Browning machine gun). There is a BIG difference, literally.

50 cal Beowulf:
    Big%2050s.jpg

.50 BMG
    39515.jpg

Nicholas A.

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery county
    As to a range, I'd honestly say Peacemaker National Training Center. For members they have a 1,000yard rifle range and for non-members they have a 300yard rifle range. The prices for both are VERY good

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You call those .50s?

THIS is a .50

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    As to a range, I'd honestly say Peacemaker National Training Center. For members they have a 1,000yard rifle range and for non-members they have a 300yard rifle range. The prices for both are VERY good

Peacemaker doesn't allow 50

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I wouldn't mess with .50BMG AR uppers in MD. I've read that they beat up the lowers pretty badly, and given that (non HBAR) lowers in MD are irreplaceable, I wouldn't chance it.

Would it not be legal to mill a AR-15 0% forging to accept an upper but not mill out or mill off the mag well section? For a single-shot upper, you don't need the mag well. So such a lower would no longer be a copy of an AR-15 stripped lower as it lacked the ability to function as an AR-15 or accept its magazines. Such a rifle would also be a bolt/manual action and thus no longer a semi-automatic copycat or generic rifle as described under SB281. Rivet the forward upper pin in place just to make sure.

Same would go for a purpose-built 9mm AR-15 rifle such as the RRA LAR-9 as the magwell is purpose cut to accept a narrow 9mm magazine, not a standard STANAG magazine.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom