• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    See the following link for the AG opinion that specifies a handgun purchased prior to October 1, 2013 but taken possession of after September 30, 2013 will need an HQL.

http://delegatemike.com/ag-opinion-...pre-ordered-firearms-after-oct-1-without-hql/

The document specifies the HQL is needed for taking possession after October 1, 2013. However, I believe the law specifies the HQL is needed after September 30, 2013.

Last edited:

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    I'm assuming that just means if your dealer won't release to you prior to Oct 1st, so if they do the 8, 10, or 14 day release your in the clear, or are they saying if your ND hasn't come back prior? I'm reading it as, released to you prior to Oct 1st, its in your possesion, and no need for the HQL.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    And then there will still be dealers claiming they fight for our 2A rights but won't do 8-day release. What a joke.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    I'm assuming that just means if your dealer won't release to you prior to Oct 1st, so if they do the 8, 10, or 14 day release your in the clear, or are they saying if your ND hasn't come back prior? I'm reading it as, released to you prior to Oct 1st, its in your possesion, and no need for the HQL.

Wonder how that will hold merit.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA

I interpret it as taking possession after September 30, 2013. The term in the letter is "deliver/take delivery." Therefore, it is irrelevant as to when the ND comes back.

Moral: only purchase handguns from timely-releasing dealers to avoid the HQL.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Tinfoil hat on....Could this be a ploy to try and scare dealers away from releasing on time? The key words that i take away from her reply are "It is in my view".

Mr H

Banana'd
    Tinfoil hat on....Could this be a ploy to try and scare dealers away from releasing on time? The key words that i take away from her reply are "It is in my view".

I take that as being in line with it being an "opinion"

But as for there being a ploy?? I believe they are simply taking advantage of some of the inconsistencies in the law, in order to further curtail and impede gun ownership.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Anyone really think they will be ready to issue an HQL on 01OCT, much less anytime in the thirty days following that date?

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I take that as being in line with it being an "opinion"

But as for there being a ploy?? I believe they are simply taking advantage of some of the inconsistencies in the law, in order to further curtail and impede gun ownership.

...or just saying what Owe'Malley told them to say.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    But not everyone needs an HQL right? Aren't there exceptions like already owning a gun, being LEO, being a firearms instructor, etc?

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom