• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    My cousin who is on MDS was at a 3-gun this weekend and had a ND while reloading his shotgun. The first video shows where on the range it occurred. The second video is from a POV camera and slowed down so you can see what caused the ND.

You can see that his finger was not on the trigger at the time the shotgun fired. You can see the shell falling out of his reloading hand at just the right angle to enter the trigger guard and strike the trigger.

This video stresses the importance of always pointing your firearm in a safe direction.

https://www.facebook.com/george.dorbert/videos/10207253649083645/

https://www.facebook.com/george.dorbert/videos/10207253240593433/

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    If his finger was not on the trigger, wouldn't this be an bona fide accidental discharge, or a mechanical failure discharge instead of a negligent discharge (ND)?

Must be logged on to Facebook to see videos.

Sure why not... The point is still the same - Always keep firearms pointed in a safe direction.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Sure why not... The point is still the same - Always keep firearms pointed in a safe direction.
    Agree about pointing in safe direction. Just meant the discharge seems to not be your cousin's fault.

Logged on to Facebook and could not see content. Posted too quickly.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Agree about pointing in safe direction. Just meant the discharge seems to not be your cousin's fault.

Logged on to Facebook and could not see content. Posted too quickly.

Yeah, it totally caught him by surprise and he was saying to the RSO as the video cut off that his finger was not in the trigger guard. The POV video finally showed the cause of the discharge. Probably a one in a million chance of that happening again.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I just sent him a text. He'll probably post it on here in a bit. Sorry guys... It's a good clip and surprisingly he caught it on video.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I was there in another squad, everyone was talking about it when cleaning up after the match, luckily nobody was hurt, it was stupid hot, lots of DQs and a couple quit early. Goes to show how good the safety procedures are even with freak accidents, load at the table facing a berm, transport everything with the muzzle up, chamber flags, in this case the 180, then all the other match rules that ensure safety. Usually have to break 2 rules before someone gets hurt.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    After several people going over the video it appears , that a quad load gone wrong, had a rogue shotshell fly and hit the trigger. All the safety procedures in place make even bad things turn out ok when followed.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I'm neither a shotgun person nor a 3-gun competitor - could this have been prevented if the safety were engaged?

Glad to hear the other safety precautions worked.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm neither a shotgun person nor a 3-gun competitor - could this have been prevented if the safety were engaged?

Glad to hear the other safety precautions worked.

Not unless you plan on putting the safety on every time you load more shells while shooting. Would like to see the video if it ever gets posted. with the muzzle in a safe direction, the projectiles at least wouldn't head twards someone, but the ejected shell bouncing off your face or gut might suck

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Despite moralizing about " no such thing as accidental, only neglegence" , there are occasionally accidental circumstances.

But what Tc617 said, the main take away is keeping the muzzle in a safe direction. This is the ultimate bottom line safety precaution.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... You can see the shell falling out of his reloading hand at just the right angle to enter the trigger guard and strike the trigger.

Can't see the video and am struggling to visualize how this happened. Still, it sounds like the "negligence" lies in allowing "the shell to fall out of his reloading hand at just the right angle to enter the trigger guard and strike the trigger."

It sounds like he neglected to control the shell/weapon so as to prevent a foreign object from striking the trigger.

The purpose of that annoying distinction between "accidental" and "negligence" is to stress personal responsibility and the realization that mishaps are indeed preventable. Like I said, I can't see the video, but it sounds like everybody else managed to reload with fumbling their shells and dropping things on their triggers.

If he resolves to never do that again, then he is tacitly admitting that he could have prevented the discharge.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Will there be any negative repercussion for the OP's cousin from a competitive point of view (i.e. sanctions, disqualifications)? Not sure how this works in a competitive setting, but it does sound like a freak accident and not something he should be blamed for. Glad nobody was injured.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Generally with an unintentional ad or ND you are done shooting that day but welcome back to the next match. Of course there's a line somewhere but I'm not aware of anyone banned permanently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom