• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Fundamental rights aren't up for vote. The Bill of Rights purpose is to protect the minority from the majority.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The last time we had a referendum on a gun law we got F****d
    That's how we got the handgun roster.

Baltimore County cop, in uniform, with his kid standing outside my polling location holding a sign telling everyone walking in to vote for it.

Do you really trust the average Maryland voter??

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Don’t believe for a minute the majority of Marylanders stand with us.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    The Maryland Attorney General writes the referendum. you know the question will be worded like that masturbation in the shower question.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The Maryland Attorney General writes the referendum. you know the question will be worded like that masturbation in the shower question.

Minor detail....

The Secretary of The State of Maryland writes the referendum.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    I think a PR campaign and referendum looks like a valid solution. If the NRA/SAF/GOA and MSI ran a campaign that focused on messages about gun rights without inserting other conservative propaganda it would go a long way here.

Arguments about constitutional interpretation (i.e. shall not be infringed, rights are God given, etc) and threats to not comply aren’t relevant when it comes to pragmatic solutions to policy problems. The majority of people in MD are democratic and view guns from a place of fear and ignorance. Why wouldn’t the focus be a message that appeals to the minds you are trying to change?

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I think a PR campaign and referendum looks like a valid solution. If the NRA/SAF/GOA and MSI ran a campaign that focused on messages about gun rights without inserting other conservative propaganda it would go a long way here.

Arguments about constitutional interpretation (i.e. shall not be infringed, rights are God given, etc) and threats to not comply aren’t relevant when it comes to pragmatic solutions to policy problems. The majority of people in MD are democratic and view guns from a place of fear and ignorance. Why wouldn’t the focus be a message that appeals to the minds you are trying to change?

you do not want a natural enumerated Right like 2A to be on the ballot.
    HUH> This is a Bill of Rights issue voted and passed by the states along time ago. God given right that the government is supposed to protect. Government can't take or give away a right. Period.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth

Dude, the Dems who will control a referendum don't care about pragmatic solutions. They want gun control. That's what the party and Bloomberg wants.

Remember - most of the people in MD don't care about guns much at all, and nothing sounds like an infringement because it doesn't affect them. As far as they are concerned, it's like banning chewing tobacco.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    Dude, the Dems who will control a referendum don't care about pragmatic solutions. They want gun control. That's what the party and Bloomberg wants.

Remember - most of the people in MD don't care about guns much at all, and nothing sounds like an infringement because it doesn't affect them. As far as they are concerned, it's like banning chewing tobacco.

Right, because they come from a position of fear and ignorance on this issue. Which is why I’m suggesting a PR campaign that presents gun rights in a way that appeals to democrats and helps them understand these policies and the impact they actually have.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    No referendums. The sitting in power phrase the wording. Very confusing to those not familiar with the particular issue. Bad juju

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Right, because they come from a position of fear and ignorance on this issue. Which is why I’m suggesting a PR campaign that presents gun rights in a way that appeals to democrats and helps them understand these policies and the impact they actually have.

They don't care. Some of them are ignorant about guns. Most of them KNOW they are wrong on the issue and DON'T CARE. IT'S ABOUT CONTROL, NOT SAVING LIVES.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth

In theory, sure. But the machinery that is the Democratic party will out spend, out lobby, and dote on the news channels way more then the NRA is willing to, and MSI can afford to. The messaging is difficult too. For decades, the media, entertainment, and schools have powered the narrative. A PR campaign now isn't going to affect anything anytime soon.

Do an experiment - find someone you know to be antigun and see if you can convert them to at least wanting to go shooting. If you manage to succeed in that, then try to get them to want an "assault weapon." Now try to get them to fight for them. Difficult, right? Now do that at the scale of MC, HC, Baltimore, AAC, PGC, etc., all the while they are not paying any attention.

I feel your heart is in the right place, and respect your optimism. But I fear the PR campaign and referendum route just isn't realistic.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    They don't care. Some of them are ignorant about guns. Most of them KNOW they are wrong on the issue and DON'T CARE. IT'S ABOUT CONTROL, NOT SAVING LIVES.

They do care, the masses that is. How do I know? I’m one of them, grew up with them and live with them. Someone in the HB 1261 thread did a pretty good job of explaining the mindset of just fearing a mass shooting at a school in a “nice” neighborhood. That’s what you’re dealing with, not some insidious desire to control or oppress white rural Americans, it’s just fear of that which is unknown and sensationalized in the media we consume.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    They do care, the masses that is. How do I know? I’m one of them, grew up with them and live with them. Someone in the HB 1261 thread did a pretty good job of explaining the mindset of just fearing a mass shooting at a school in a “nice” neighborhood. That’s what you’re dealing with, not some insidious desire to control or oppress white rural Americans, it’s just fear of that which is unknown and sensationalized in the media we consume.

Well the legislators DON'T CARE and they do have an insidious desire to control gun owners. As for the masses, perhaps many of them just believe the nonstop drivel parroted by the Left and the media in this country.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Don’t believe for a minute the majority of Marylanders stand with us.

Yeah the referendums will be worded like this:

1) DO YOU SUPPORT BILL MAKING BACKGROUND CHECKS NEEDED FOR HIGH POWERED ASSAULT MACHINE GUNS THAT KILL PEOPLE?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Good. The estimated cost to run a campaign for the referendum is $20-30 million. Get busy. Also, you’ll lose.

The only vote on my Rights that ever mattered was the ratification of the Bill of Rights.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. Conceeding that Fundimental Rights may be stripped by 50.01 % of brainwashed voters .

2. We've done this before , and when it was actually close , there was massive ( sucuessful ) collusion between gov't and mainstream ( aka leftist ) media to derail us .

3 . We don't have a spare $30 Mil sitting around , and if we had a fraction of that , or big money donors on tap for multiple millions , there are other strategies .

4. Point #2 was back in the '80s . That was then , this is now . Today we would be blown out of the water .

Yes , back in '13 , there was serious debate in 2A community about a referendum .

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    In theory, sure. But the machinery that is the Democratic party will out spend, out lobby, and dote on the news channels way more then the NRA is willing to, and MSI can afford to. The messaging is difficult too. For decades, the media, entertainment, and schools have powered the narrative. A PR campaign now isn't going to affect anything anytime soon.

Do an experiment - find someone you know to be antigun and see if you can convert them to at least wanting to go shooting. If you manage to succeed in that, then try to get them to want an "assault weapon." Now try to get them to fight for them. Difficult, right? Now do that at the scale of MC, HC, Baltimore, AAC, PGC, etc., all the while they are not paying any attention.

I feel your heart is in the right place, and respect your optimism. But I fear the PR campaign and referendum route just isn't realistic.

I have did this very thing many times. Before I moved to Florida I dated this Jewish girl from Towson, a solid 8/10 but as Liberal as they come. By the 5th date I had convinced her to come to the gun range with me, rented her a 9mm with very low recoil Beretta PX4 so I know she could handle it, and she had the time of her life. Ended up putting over 150 rounds downrange . Now is she out marching for gun rights today, I doubt it. But I also doubt that she is in fear of firearms any longer.

Things like this can be done, and frankly it's the only way we will get anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom