• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I hate shopping for footwear but the time has come to get new hiking/outdoor boots. My simple list of needs seems to be out of place in todays world of synthetic, ultra-padded, patchwork boots. More seams means more points of possible failure. Synthetics, unless 1000D cordura, mean weaker material than leather. Heavy synthetic padding means hot and stinky feet. All of this is my personal 20+ year outdoor experience with boot from many makers.

This is what I need in a boot:

brown, no bright colors.
    mostly or all leather.
    around 6" or mid height.
    few seems, little patchwork construction.
    classic Vibram or other heavy traction rubber sole.
    non-insulated.
    lightly or no padding needed.
    Budget is $200 or less.

I have checked out Merrel, Columbia, Hi-tec, Timberland, and Chippewa. I found one or two models I can live with from those brands. The leading model is the Chippewa Cibola 6". I have the steel toe version for work and I have never owned a boot so comfortable! If all else fails, I will go back to the amazingly comfortable Belleville 390. Even though its a taller combat boot, it is a great boot. What other brands and specific models does the MDS brain trust recommend? I cant be the only one that dislikes the vast majority of the footwear I see these days.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Check out Danner. I have a pair of Gavre that are 6 or 7 years old and aside from one slightly split seam, they show minimal wear even after wearing them near daily in the winters for a couple years. Mine aren't all leather but they make more traditional hikers that are.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Vasque Breeze, my favorite for hiking.

https://www.rei.com/product/109017/vasque-breeze-iii-mid-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

d3e2dd16-d279-4525-b412-8cda24d67b19

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I have walked a pair of Asolo all leather (with goretex) boots until the soles wore through to the boot leather. Awesome boot. Check places like Sierra Trading Post or other outlet/discount places and you might find a pair in your price range. Why didnt I get them recrafted you ask? Well I was a poor student at the time and I still have them in a box waiting for me to get around to sending them out. They also need a little seam work too.

Right now I am working on killing a pair of Asolo Fugative GTX boots. These are the synthetic 'patchwork' type boot you mentioned and I like them a lot better than the all leather ones. They are lighter and breath better (they also have goretex).

Lately I have been liking a pair of super light Solomon X Ultra 3 boots better than my Asolo's. Light breathable and comfortable. I havent put them through a week+ backpacking trip like I have the Asolo's but they have done great on over night and 2 night trips. They are also great for day hikes and just roaming around town in bad weather.

Most of my time and for most day hikes I wear low top Asolo approach shoes (Shiver GV, had to look up my e receipt lol) or Solomon Ultra's/Addidas equivalent low tops with the little slider instead of real laces. I am not a fan of the sliders for backpacking boots because they tend to constantly loose tension in my experience but for a little day walk they work fine. I have even used the Asolo approach shoes on overnight backpacking trips and they worked great.

And if you have never heard of Sierra Trading Post, it's like REI but with last years models at a good discount. =)

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    That Vasque sundowner posted above is probably the best all leather boot for around $200.
    I would not recommend Danner as I think they have slipped in quality.
    Look for zamberland vioz or lowa Tibet’s on sale and you might be able to score a pair near $200.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Vasque or Asolo. Very very well made. Danners are also good. I used to hike a lot, and was amazed at how well the Asolo's performed on terrain that tore up less expensive brands, including some more modern padded cordura type boots. The better quality boots can be re-soled, and if you take care of them, they will last a remarkably long time. If you need steel toe, Danners are good as well.

sandeman

Jun 19, 2008
    Pasadena
    Vasque boots are great and lightweight.The sizes run small Get a size larger.On long hikes your feet swell up. If you wear them in the winter you want to wear a nylon sock, and a woolen outer sock. Break them in before you go fo extensive hikes.

Last edited:

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I have used a pair of LLBean crestas for hiking over the last 15 -20 years, heavier but just about indestructible and stiff enough for crampons in winter. A hiker I met last summer in glacier national park praised his alico summits for also being tough, comfortable, all leather hiking boots.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thanks everyone for the input. I checked out all the websites and even though they are above my budget, I have so far narrowed it down to the Zamberlan 5030 and LLBean Cresta. Unfortunately the Zamerlan doesnt show wide sizes on their site and the LLBean is backordered until December. Keen and Vasque had a model or two that was ok but still wasnt exactly what Im looking for. Danner had one model I liked, the Danner Light II, but is $180 over budget and Im not willing to go that high yet. I actually found a Redhead pair that I like, the Wildcat. Considering the cheap price, I had good luck with some older Redhead boots from about 10 years ago. I wonder if they are still decent or of it went to crap like everything else from the Basspro/Cabelas merger. Anyway, the search continues for now.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I'd wait for the LLBean crestas. I bought a pair 15 years ago. At around 10 years they still looked good but the sole came unglued. I sent them to LLB and they replaced them no questions asked. The new ones still fit great and at 5 years old still look almost new. They are one of the few that make wide sizes. I'd say worth the wait but that is just me.
    The red head boots will work but won't have the support the Crestas have. I have never found a better boot. I do like Danners too but I haven't been able to find them in wide.
    V

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Thanks everyone for the input. I checked out all the websites and even though they are above my budget, I have so far narrowed it down to the Zamberlan 5030 and LLBean Cresta. Unfortunately the Zamerlan doesnt show wide sizes on their site and the LLBean is backordered until December. Keen and Vasque had a model or two that was ok but still wasnt exactly what Im looking for. Danner had one model I liked, the Danner Light II, but is $180 over budget and Im not willing to go that high yet. I actually found a Redhead pair that I like, the Wildcat. Considering the cheap price, I had good luck with some older Redhead boots from about 10 years ago. I wonder if they are still decent or of it went to crap like everything else from the Basspro/Cabelas merger. Anyway, the search continues for now.

You can get quality Asolo hiking boots with wide sizes on the Sierra Trading Post site for under $150. I've been using uninsulated Asolos for all of my Alaska hunts, and for Maryland hunts until it gets pretty cold, for many years. they have great soles and don't wear out - you don't need to spend a ton for good hiking boots, check them out.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I bought a pair of combat hikers from ebay. The ones I got were a black and leather. They are no longer current issue, and they don't look like they are surplus. The one I got cost less than $100 and were brand new. I was really happy with them but they were a little tight. I guess I am a size 11 now. These boot are made by both Danner and Bates. They are us made and leather and look like a conventional hiking boot. They are very sturdy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom