• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I hope everyone had a great thanks giving! I was wondering what everyone thought of IMI M193 ammo? Since Trump won and there is no immediate danger to our 2A rights(I hope), I decided I need to start stocking more 5.56 and shooting off my older .223 stockpiles. It seems to function as well as any other ammo I shot but I haven't been able to shoot it at longer rangers, 100-300yds. The components seem higher quality than say Federal XM193. Yes I know my rifle may handle it differently than yours, I just want to know everyone else's experience with this load. Thanks all!

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I've always been very pleased with IMI M193, it's usually somewhat more accurate than most other M193 I've used, and it's clean burning and reliable. I would classify it as "above average", that's been my experience with it.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I've always been very pleased with IMI M193, it's usually somewhat more accurate than most other M193 I've used, and it's clean burning and reliable. I would classify it as "above average", that's been my experience with it.

Thanks for the feedback! Good to hear someone else has good results. I'm kind of surprised more people don't have experience with this stuff.

I just bought 600rds on sale from Cabelas not 5 minutes before you posted this! I may have to buy more.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Cabela's also has it on sale for $6.79 a box with free shipping on $99 plus. I picked up a bunch of stuff from them, but had room in my order for 3 boxes. Had a couple of $20 off a $100 order and shipped it to the DE store.

I've got about 300-350rnds of the stuff already. Only shot 20rnds, but it grouped the best of any of the stuff I've tired through my AR-15. BUIS only right now, but it grouped 2.5" at 100yds and it was all marksmanship. I'd bet I could group it around an inch and a half at 100 with a scope which I'll have on the rifle in a couple of weeks.

Their m855 also shot pretty well (I've got 230rnds of that).

I'd don't need a ton, but I am working my way up to eventually having a .50 cal full of good m193 and a .30 cal of good m855. So far I've got an ID of federal and IMI m855 which both seem to shoot well and about 350rnds of it and I've got about 500rnds of m193 a mix of federal, IMI and I've got a box of PPU m193 in my most recent order to try it out. I'd like to have 2-3 options so I can buy a few boxes of whatever is on sale every few months to work my stockpiles up. I don't mind shooting .223 mostly at the range though. Stockpiling hunting ammo as well. I think I've got close to enough, but I haven't shoot any yet for accuracy. I have 40rnds of Aussie Outback 55gr Sierra Blitzbugs and a box of Winchester 64gr power points for deer. In my order I've got another 20rnds of the Aussie stuff coming (going to shoot 10rnds for accuracy checking) and a box of Fiocchi 50gr varmint. I don't plan on a lot of varmint action with my AR-15 (ideally make that plural down the road), but I'd like to have a little of the stuff I have at some point proven shoots well and I know the scope adjustments for zero if I decide to go Yote hunting or get invited somewhere I can shoot woodchucks or something. The deer stuff cause I intend to try my AR-15 deer hunting at some point and the power point with my 29" HBAR should still be comfortably above the 1200lb-ft Maryland minimum muzzle energy for rifle deer hunting. I'd like to pick up a second box if it proves to shoot well out of my rifle.

Basically in the end my goal is ~600rnds of m855 and ~1000rnds of m193 for SHTF. Another .50 cal ammo box is just going to be mixed .223/5.56 of what is cheap and/or hunting/loads that I keep stocked up.

My total stash is about 1200rnds with another 200 on the way. What I really need to work on is my .308/7.62 as I've only got about 240rnds of that and it is a hugely wide variety and I really want to get down to 1-2 medium game hunting loads for my .308 and maybe 2-3 145-150gr 7.62/.308 FMJ for plinking/SHTF. At least a full .30 cal box of FMJ and half a box of hunting loads and some target rounds (like gold medal match for longer range target shooting). I've got almost that much, but I've got something like 8-9 varieties in part because my wife's uncle gifted me 90 rounds mixed when he sold me the .308 and I've also been getting a box or two of whatever when it is on sale to see what shoots well in the gun (so far everything is 2.5moa or better, and a lot close to 1moa with gold medal match a little under 1 if I am in good form, except PMC bronze which is like 4moa).

Slowly stocking up on PPU 150gr .308 SP because it shoots 2moa and is cheap for deer hunting around here (wouldn't use it for Elk or really big bodied deer, but around here gets the job done) as well as Federal xm80, Aguila and PPU 150/147gr FMJ .308/7.62. Mostly PPU as the xm80 is bimetallic and I really don't want to wear the rifling out of my $1200 Sako any faster. That is strictly SHTF, but the Aguila and PPU are plinking and SHTF stuff. Aguila and PPU 7.62 both have sealed bullets and primers and all three shoot about 2moa out of my Sako or a little better.

I digress a lot. IMI seems to be pretty good and Cabelas has it on sale right now and regularly has discounts on it. At least so long as you don't mind only picking up 200-400rnds at a time, if you wait for a sale, get some discounted gift cards, take advantage of something like active junky and use a $20 off a $100 purchase or at least when they have free shipping, you can often pick it up for 23-28 cents per round.

Example it was a small part of my order, but with all discounts added up it was 24 cents per round for the 3 boxes I just ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom