• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Each year a few friends from our church, my wife, and myself go tent camping by the Shenandoah river for a few days in the fall. This year my wife and I will not be able to make it for the best reason. We just had a beautiful baby girl! Not wanting to miss out on my nature time and eager to introduce the little one to the woods, I was looking into a small cabin for the weekend. It would only be the baby, wife, and myself in the cabin. It would be only a Saturday and Sunday trip. I know this is short notice, but does anyone know of a nice, quiet campground that rents small cabins? It doesn't have to be fancy. Just well kept. Maybe some nice trails with good scenery. Preferably within a 3.5hr drive of Baltimore. Thanks in advance!

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Each year a few friends from our church, my wife, and myself go tent camping by the Shenandoah river for a few days in the fall. This year my wife and I will not be able to make it for the best reason. We just had a beautiful baby girl! Not wanting to miss out on my nature time and eager to introduce the little one to the woods, I was looking into a small cabin for the weekend. It would only be the baby, wife, and myself in the cabin. It would be only a Saturday and Sunday trip. I know this is short notice, but does anyone know of a nice, quiet campground that rents small cabins? It doesn't have to be fancy. Just well kept. Maybe some nice trails with good scenery. Preferably within a 3.5hr drive of Baltimore. Thanks in advance!

I've spent a weekend at New Germany state park in their cabins. We had a cabin close to the lake (may have been #1). View was vey nice since it was right by the water and the cabin itself was great. Complete kitchen and bathroom inside, living area had a loveseat, table, several chairs, and large bed. Fireplace inside with split wood provided. The cabin had a super high (~20ft) ceiling. Place was just really great and very romantic.

There are some hiking trails at the park and nearby and Deep Creek lake isn't far either. So they're opportunities for boating too.

It's a bit of a drive from Baltimore but navigating isn't hard. Was definitely worth the drive for the weekend I spent there. We went in the off season though, so there were virtually no other renters.

Not sure about such short notice, but this is the link:
    http://reservations.dnr.state.md.us...bins&startIdx=0&contractCode=MD&parkId=380521

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Raystown lake, not sure about hiking trails but there close to the lake and there are caverns near by.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I hear good things about Lost River State Park near Mathias WV. I know a guy who has rented a cabin with his wife a couple of times and they were pleased.

You might get better rates in the off season.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    Check out spruce knob WV. The scenery is second to none and there are lots of trails winding down the mountain. I'm not positive but I think there are a few cabins to rent on the mountain but if not there are many choices close by.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I can recommend Blackwater Falls state park in WV. A couple of cute towns and plenty of hiking there. It has been a few years since my wife I were there, but went when she was 20wks pregnant with our second for our anniversary in early Novemeber.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thanks for all the replies! I don't know how I missed the last thread on this subject. I'll be checking a lot of these places out. I can't wait to get away for a weekend with the family!

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Lost River SP is a good place to rent a cabin and it is closer than Blackwater SP. But there is not much of a town near Lost River, if you are looking to go out to eat. You need to bring your own food with you. The nearest full grocery store is over the mountain in Mooresville. With Blackwater you can drive to Davis or Thomas. Both of those towns have plenty of restaurant options, as well as the lodge at Blackwater, which has gone to a bbq menu, much better than the last version. Both are good places to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom