• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Like some other folks here, I enjoy trying to develop and identify handloads that my rifles will shoot well if the dummy on the trigger doesn't find some way to muck things up.

Only 100 yards, but the first 6 shots on the center are about as good as I'm going to be able to produce. The group is a tad low and a tad left, but that's both common and fine when working with different loads. Windage and elevation adjustments can obviously be made if consistency is found to be there.

Notice what happens with shots 7,8,9 and 10 though. What's happening here is that with the orange circles, I'm now guessing. How much difference in hold to hit the 13/16 orange circle? When does the sight picture look "right"?

My point in posting here is that, in shooting at those circles? They're all hits, but barely. That is due not to the load, but rather to my best guesstimates. And look where those shots are hitting when you compare placement on the four. What was lost here for comparative purposes is the precise definition of the focal points for reticle alignment that the center diamond provides. Those corners, for lack of better words, "force" a more precise and consistent reticle alignment, all else being equal, and not simply what "looks the same".

Member byf43 turned me on to this target. For what it's worth, if there's a better target for sight in and load development type work, I personally haven't found it yet. If you're spending good time and good money on your handloads, it can help to take all of that expenditure one step further, and give some consideration to what you're shooting your handiwork at. A good target can make a positive difference in your results. It has for me at least.

The target below has 1/4 inch grids. 43 also has posted a 1/2 inch grid version of his in the same configuration for those who prefer a target that's less "busy". The orange that is pictured is an addition from a highlighter as I find it to be a help with definition for my nowadays older eyes.

Now byf43 MIGHT just be conned into posting his targets again in the next few weeks if somebody should ask, with deer season not too away and all, and a lot of guys starting to be thinking about new rifles and fall sight in. :innocent0
    You may want to consider giving them a try.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      89.9 KB · Views: 126

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Aim small, miss small. You'll notice the square is smaller than the circles. I suspect if you put a 1/4" black dot in the center of those circles you'll hit closer to the center of those circles.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    These are what I like to shoot/sight in with. Thanks to Uncle Duke, I now know why I like them so much.

Attachments

• 595495.jpg
      595495.jpg
      60.6 KB · Views: 107

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Like some other folks here, I enjoy trying to develop and identify handloads that my rifles will shoot well if the dummy on the trigger doesn't find some way to muck things up.

Only 100 yards, but the first 6 shots on the center are about as good as I'm going to be able to produce. The group is a tad low and a tad left, but that's both common and fine when working with different loads. Windage and elevation adjustments can obviously be made if consistency is found to be there.

Notice what happens with shots 7,8,9 and 10 though. What's happening here is that with the orange circles, I'm now guessing. How much difference in hold to hit the 13/16 orange circle? When does the sight picture look "right"?

My point in posting here is that, in shooting at those circles? They're all hits, but barely. That is due not to the load, but rather to my best guesstimates. And look where those shots are hitting when you compare placement on the four. What was lost here for comparative purposes is the precise definition of the focal points for reticle alignment that the center diamond provides. Those corners, for lack of better words, "force" a more precise and consistent reticle alignment, all else being equal, and not simply what "looks the same".

Member byf43 turned me on to this target. For what it's worth, if there's a better target for sight in and load development type work, I personally haven't found it yet. If you're spending good time and good money on your handloads, it can help to take all of that expenditure one step further, and give some consideration to what you're shooting your handiwork at. A good target can make a positive difference in your results. It has for me at least.

The target below has 1/4 inch grids. 43 also has posted a 1/2 inch grid version of his in the same configuration for those who prefer a target that's less "busy". The orange that is pictured is an addition from a highlighter as I find it to be a help with definition for my nowadays older eyes.

Now byf43 MIGHT just be conned into posting his targets again in the next few weeks if somebody should ask, with deer season not too away and all, and a lot of guys starting to be thinking about new rifles and fall sight in. :innocent0
    You may want to consider giving them a try.

Thanks for the kind words, Unc!!!!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice shootin'!!

:beer:

1/4 inch grid (version 1) -

View attachment 156304

1/4 inch grid (version 2) -

View attachment 156306

1/2 inch grid -

View attachment 156307

All courtesy of byf43, I just happened to post them before he did. ;)

:lol::lol: Thanks, Brad!!!!!!!

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom