Ruger Gunsite Scout or Mossberg MVP Patrol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks for the link. Phone browsing on a slow connection so didn't look it up. So the primary difference with the Savage Scout appears to be scope placement based on the pic, right? OAL looks similar.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    10 round magazine. Stock is not accustock on the hog. That is a nice option too. Shot my scout yesterday at hap baker. Sights are off. I was just trying it out. I had 3 other rifles to dial in.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    I have the Mossberg MVP Patrol in 7.62NATO (.308) and love the gun. Well balanced! Great shooter. Uses readily available and inexpensive AR10 mags.

The only problem I had was the bolt. Feeding was rough and with full magazine, extracting was sometimes not possible w/o removing the magazine. The problem is the fluting on the bolt. It has sharp edges and scrapes and binds on the top round in the magazine on the way back. Simple fix is to take some emery cloth to the fluting of the bolt and smooth out the sharp edges. Works like a champ and fun to shoot. It also gave the bolt a cool look with silver raised spiral edges against the black fluting.

I had no issues when the mag was 1/2 full and my 5.56 MVP doesn't have this problem.

Also note that though the barrel is stamped 7.62NATO without the .308 designator, I contacted Mossberg and they confirmed via email (which I'm saving forever!) that this rifle is good for .308 as well. All their literature shows "7.62NATO (.308)" and they stand behind that.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The bolt fluting was such a weird design decision on Mossberg's part. Yeah, it lightens the bolt, but was it ever that heavy to begin with?

A couple other clever things I've read people do to smooth the action:
    1. NiB the bolt by sending it off to WMDGuns. (I would totally do this.)
    2. Slather the bolt in bore paste, rack a few hundred times

I still haven't seen a fix for the "fully retracted bolt flops around too much" issue, though, which was actually the most annoying part about mine. Might be a basic design flaw by letting the bolt go too far back unsupported by rails.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    A good friend of mine showed me his new Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle, last weekend.

Nice rifle.

I'd like to get my hands on the Mossberg MVP and take it for a test drive.

Still, I have that FR-8 that I got from the same friend that has the Ruger.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    I have the Mossberg MVP Patrol in 7.62NATO (.308) and love the gun. Well balanced! Great shooter. Uses readily available and inexpensive AR10 mags.

The only problem I had was the bolt. Feeding was rough and with full magazine, extracting was sometimes not possible w/o removing the magazine. The problem is the fluting on the bolt. It has sharp edges and scrapes and binds on the top round in the magazine on the way back. Simple fix is to take some emery cloth to the fluting of the bolt and smooth out the sharp edges. Works like a champ and fun to shoot. It also gave the bolt a cool look with silver raised spiral edges against the black fluting.

I had no issues when the mag was 1/2 full and my 5.56 MVP doesn't have this problem.

Also note that though the barrel is stamped 7.62NATO without the .308 designator, I contacted Mossberg and they confirmed via email (which I'm saving forever!) that this rifle is good for .308 as well. All their literature shows "7.62NATO (.308)" and they stand behind that.
    Update - I ended up selling my Mossberg MVP Patrol 7.62NATO/.308 to a friend of mine. He tried it and really liked it and I needed to clean out my safe a little. One thing I did which helped the feeding issue was to clip off one loop of the spring in the magazine to take some of the tension off when the mag is full. Still enough tension to feed the last round, though.
    With all that being said, I absolutely love my 5.56 version. :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom