• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Planning a road trip next summer that is going to involve some stops at ranges for some long distance recreational shooting, not competitions.

Thinking about a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun.

The Savage 110 Tactical looks like it does everything out of the box for just over $700.

I've always felt like Savage is the best bang for the buck on guns but they consequently lack a lot of the aftermarket support. I feel like, though, that this wouldn't need anything else and would be a shooter right out of the box with some moderately good glass.

Thoughts?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    One of the best out of the box triggers by far. While I’ve never had one in 6.5 I just bought my 2nd 110 variant in .223. My previous in .308 that I shot more, handloaded around was much more accurate than the guy behind it.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I don't think you can go wrong with the savage. Tikka is a little pricer but overall better built. Up to you if worth the extra coin. TC makes good shooting rifles for cheap, but they feel cheap to me. Bolt might be the worst I've felt.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I put a scope on a Savage 6.5 for a buddy who just got it like the day before the breech loading opener.
    It was one shot and done.
    It had a camo stock, medium or heavy profile barrel-oversize bolt knob.
    Blackened finish on both bolt and barrel.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’ve got the Stealth BA which I believe is basically the 110 on a custom MTD chassis and an AR style stock. It’s been a rock right out if the box and it still does an excellent job with well over 750 rounds through the barrel.

I shot with some other members here at one of Ed Shell’s training sessions and with little to mo experience the gun was capable of 1moa at 1200 yds. (Not to take away from Ed’s and Wes’ excellent tutelage).

Best group at distance was with Squaregrouoper at PNTC 0.3 MOA at 573yds.

It’s a tack driver.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you are going to shoot it a lot, it is a much better system than the 700 because of the easy barrel changes. What's the lifespan of a 6.5 CM? 1200 rounds or so?

I've been looking at the Savage and like it.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I have a number of variations of the 110. None of them represent the prettiest or the smoothest rifle I own. But every one of them will shoot.

The accustock on that rifle is an upgraded Savage synthetic stock, and that's a good thing because while definitely not great, it does become quite serviceable.

The Accutrigger is a very decent factory trigger, and worthy of every bit of its acclaim IMO. It's the trigger that (I'd argue) was responsible for greatly improved factory rifle triggers across much of the industry generally. Other manufacturers simply had to improve, as for years what they were putting out was oftentimes pretty awful.

I have no personal experience with the Accufit stock, as my rifles are older.

Me, I wouldn't hesitate to buy that rifle. Be aware also that, should you decide to buy one, Savage is currently running a $75 rebate on that rifle through October 24.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Norton, Savage rifles can be excellent shooters out of the box with the right ammo. Here's what my stock Axis II 6.5 CM is capable of doing at 100 yards if I do my part.

:)

Attachments

• Creedmoor Target Capture.JPG
      Creedmoor Target Capture.JPG
      69.7 KB · Views: 552
    • DSC01809 j8064 Savage Axis II 6.5CM.jpg
      DSC01809 j8064 Savage Axis II 6.5CM.jpg
      51 KB · Views: 563
    I’ve got the Stealth BA which I believe is basically the 110 on a custom MTD chassis and an AR style stock. It’s been a rock right out if the box and it still does an excellent job with well over 750 rounds through the barrel.

I shot with some other members here at one of Ed Shell’s training sessions and with little to mo experience the gun was capable of 1moa at 1200 yds. (Not to take away from Ed’s and Wes’ excellent tutelage).

Best group at distance was with Squaregrouoper at PNTC 0.3 MOA at 573yds.

It’s a tack driver.

I am thinking there is a different meaning for Wes' tutelage.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Norton, Savage rifles can be excellent shooters out of the box with the right ammo. Here's what my stock Axis II 6.5 CM is capable of doing at 100 yards if I do my part.

:)

I have an Axis II also in 6.5 CM and I concur also very good shooter.

5 rounds 100yds with my own hand loads 140 gr Nosler CC.
    aee729c37ba29a13d180ab776baacfbb.jpg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Wes seems like a gentlemen and a scholar I’m sure I could learn a lot from him.

He is indeed, sir. I have enjoyed our conversations when we duck hunt because ducks hate me and we sure as hell aren't shooting anything.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I would personally go with a Tikka CTR unless you want the lighter barrel. I tried the accutrigger and just didnt like it. I love the tikka triggers but will admit I like the TT diamond trigger the most. I also have not seen a Tikka not shoot. A 6.5 CM will get about 2.5k to 3.5k rounds on a barrel depending on how hard you work it.

Almost any of the rifles can do a barrel nut system. I know Patriot Valley Arms does them for tikka, savage, and Rem 700 actions.

The biggest thing is to make sure you spend the money on the glass. Itll be worth it and if you keep the box and everything, you can likely resell a good scope and recoup most of your money.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Planning a road trip next summer that is going to involve some stops at ranges for some long distance recreational shooting, not competitions.

Thinking about a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun.

The Savage 110 Tactical looks like it does everything out of the box for just over $700.

I've always felt like Savage is the best bang for the buck on guns but they consequently lack a lot of the aftermarket support. I feel like, though, that this wouldn't need anything else and would be a shooter right out of the box with some moderately good glass.

Thoughts?

I’m sure it would be fine. I’m big on the Ruger American series if you are looking to save money. $400 1000y gun. And if you want to save money on a scope, a $300 Swfa fixed power. Great budget long range setup.

If you are going to shoot it a lot, it is a much better system than the 700 because of the easy barrel changes. What's the lifespan of a 6.5 CM? 1200 rounds or so?

I've been looking at the Savage and like it.

Around 3,000 rounds give or take.

Last edited:

Robertjeter

May 11, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    My last 6.5 CR was a Browning X-Bolt out of the box. Shoots about .6-.7 MOA at 500 yds. Depending on the model maybe another $100-$200 more than what you’re looking at with the Savage.

That said, Savage makes great rifles, out of box accuracy is also great.

6.5 CR is just a great round in any rifle. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Anyone know anything about the Bergara rifles?

Lots of favorable feedback based on some reading.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Looks like people are digging rifles in this order:

Bergara
    Tikka (first two are sort of tied)
    Ruger (lighter and cheaper)
    Savage (no shade being thrown, just that the others have a little leg up)

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Your capabilities and your goals play into the purchase decision as well.

As I get better I’ve considered upgrading from the Ruger. On the other hand, it’s usually 1moa or under which is fine for long range. My only reason for upgrading would be to have a better hit probability at 700y+. 1” vs .5” groups at 100y does not matter to me at all EXCEPT that the more accurate rifle will have better odds of hitting at extended ranges. For this reason I have a hard time understanding why people spend so much on guns they only ever shoot to 200y. If you like to measure groups at 100y for your own enjoyment, you may think differently. To me, a tight group at 100y just means the gun is acceptable for long range use. I also have a hard time finding a rifle as lightweight as the Ruger. The Tikka Lite series seems like a good choice for that.

They’re all good choices, you just have to decide which fits your purposes best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom