Camo is a waste of money (For whitetail at least imo)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Is there a commercial laundry detergant that doesn't have UV brighteners? Or are we stuck with hunting-specific stuff? What does the military use? I assume they don't want UV glow from their clothes either.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    HECS...

I'm a believer in the stuff.

I've had several instances where deer have looked right at me and went right on with whatever they were doing. One late winter day at dusk I was walking around some woods and walked into a harvested cornfield at dusk and two does ran down a hill with a buck in pursuit. They all looked at me in the middle of the cornfield and went about their business.

Last fall I sat on a ridge about 30 yards from 2 does walking down one side of the ridge with a huge buck following them. I could've shot him with a 270 when he stopped but let him walk.

As long as the wind is in your favor and your clothing doesn't reflect the UV HECS is very effective.

You're welcome not to believe me.

I believe your experiences. I don't believe it has anything to do with HECS.

I took a break while hiking one day. I sat in a stand of older trees with no undergrowth at the top of a old quarry. Wearing a red plaid wool shirt and blue jeans, cooking on an alcohol stove, while most likely being silhouetted by the blue sky, 3 deer walked up on me. Twice. Both times they got within 10 yards of me before passing me by.

While hunting in WV. I had a buck walk completely around my ground blind. He even stuck his head in the blind to say hey to me and my father sitting inside before casually walking away.

On numerous occasions, I have had deer walk right past me, glance at me and not give a second though as they continued on their way.

I know there are a lot a variables that play into each deer encounter, but nothing I have ever experienced tells me camo is needed. Mostly motion and sound discipline. Like I said before though, to each his own. No harm in wearing camo if thats someones thing. No harm in not wearing camo either. :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is there a commercial laundry detergent that doesn't have UV brighteners? Or are we stuck with hunting-specific stuff? What does the military use? I assume they don't want UV glow from their clothes either.
    Good question. I doubt it. But, we started using 'All Free Clear' because the wife is sensitive to detergents(touts "dermatologist recommended") with scents and such. This stuff is virtually scent free. I will do a trial run with it to see if it contains brighteners(break out the black light). If it doesn't, that will be a great source for affordable hunting detergent.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I'm pretty sure but not positive A&H washing soda doesn't have brighteners in it. Doesn't seem to leave a scent either.
    It also makes a good solution for cooking grease and oils from polished parts before blackening/bluing when its boiled. A stand alone detergent for regular clothes washing or adding to regular washing detergent for stretching it out or heavily soiled clothing.
    When you get it in a box it's granulated just like regular detergent but with no flowery smells or coloring.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Again, +1000. For the same reason movement gives you away, notice, when deer stop moving, they disappear. Because of their counter shading, they become 'background'. Solid colors are the best camouflage...until you move.

When an old doe locks onto my eyes. I know she is blowing/stomping in short order. Game over for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom