• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    Saw it last night. It was hard to enjoy due to the lack of POC and female representation. Too much toxic masculinity as well. j/k.

I really enjoyed it. Technical achievement for sure, but also a just a good tale of brotherhood and keeping promises that resonates with me. Besides, the fruit cakes at Salon had a (spoiler warning)problem with it, so I enjoyed it all the more.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    My Great Grandfather served in WWI and suffered the effects of Mustard gas that bothered him for the rest of his life. I am almost ashamed about how little I know about WWI.

I’m the same. My Great grandfather earned the distinguished service cross, during WWI. He also suffered effects of mustard gas, and died 20 years after the war. I’d like to learn more about this war as well.

Might go see this movie over the weekend.

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    The cinematography was excellent and overall I enjoyed it. No spoiler alert here - but there were some headscratching scenes. Guess it just proves you can take the film out of Hollywood, but you can't take Hollywood out of the film.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Going Friday, been waiting for it to come around this area. If any one has been to USMC museum they have a short film on/ about Belleu wood. What these guys went through, damn. It’s history that a lot of people have no idea ,sad these guys are forgotten by most.

There are few places / events I would rather be at LESS than the battle of Belleu Wood.

Trench warfare with fixed bayonetted attacks? With mech?

No thanks.

The men on both sides of that battlefield knew horrors that I don't even want to think about.

I hear the French had a nice croissant breakfast 10 miles away during the whole thing.

One of the best war quotes of all time came from a Marine commander during that battle. When the French suggested the Marines leave with them he said "Leave? We just got here!"

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Just saw it, and frankly it was kind of boring. A very well made boring movie.

They should have made a movie about a WW1 battle using this set instead of this movie.

EDIT: And not a single Vickers or Maxim in the whole movie.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    But Lewis guns galore w. the canvas muzzle covers. Went with my sisters and nephew over the weekend and they enjoyed it even more than I did. WWI is a tough subject to tackle for a mass release movie. There are snippets here and there that would lend themselves well to a movie script but most of the war on the Western Front was an endless sea of misery and the Eastern Front was arguably worse. I mentioned to my sisters that even as this story was taking place on 4/6/1917 many French units were refusing to obey advance orders after massive losses with no gains or end in sight (look up "French Mutiny 1917" for some interesting reading). In fact, the wonderful Kubrick movie Paths of Glory is loosely based on this and the French Army's practice of executing soldiers for "cowardice" during this period.
    I very much enjoyed the accuracy of the British field equipment and arms. The only flaw I saw in two hours was the nose cap of a WW2 era Australian Lithgow No1 poking out. Other than that I was a happy camper. Definitely worth the admission.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    But Lewis guns galore w. the canvas muzzle covers. Went with my sisters and nephew over the weekend and they enjoyed it even more than I did. WWI is a tough subject to tackle for a mass release movie. There are snippets here and there that would lend themselves well to a movie script but most of the war on the Western Front was an endless sea of misery and the Eastern Front was arguably worse. I mentioned to my sisters that even as this story was taking place on 4/6/1917 many French units were refusing to obey advance orders after massive losses with no gains or end in sight (look up "French Mutiny 1917" for some interesting reading). In fact, the wonderful Kubrick movie Paths of Glory is loosely based on this and the French Army's practice of executing soldiers for "cowardice" during this period.
    I very much enjoyed the accuracy of the British field equipment and arms. The only flaw I saw in two hours was the nose cap of a WW2 era Australian Lithgow No1 poking out. Other than that I was a happy camper. Definitely worth the admission.

I don't remember seeing a Lewis gun actually fired though, I could have missed it though.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    But Lewis guns galore w. the canvas muzzle covers.

You've got better eyes than mine. I was looking for some and only saw one, with a canvas muzzle cover.

As I've said earlier, this movie definitely met my expectations, namely the war from a very personal point of view.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Watched it last weekend thought it was fairly good and seemed like the gear was very authentic. Some of the pyrotechnics seemed fake but we are spoiled by CGI.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Watched it last week. I thought it was good, but too short ultimately. It feels rushed. The virtually complete lack of any real showdown at the end of it was a bit of a letdown. That said, It's the first movie in a long time that had me sitting on the edge of my seat for a good chunk of it.

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    I saw it in the theaters and loved it. Watching it at home it lost so much of the feeling of being “there” that it seemed a little letdown. I still think it is a great movie from an industry that is completely un-original with all the re-makes and superhero movies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom