• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    So not to hijack the thread about how to torque a suppressor, I started a new thread. After considering it for some time, I dropped a few credit card points on a Cabela's gift card and ordered a Nikon M-223 scope for my AR.

Although I have shot several AR's with a magnified scope, I have never owned one. I currently have a Vortex Sparc, but wanted to try some longer range plinking.

As I was reading the owner's manual, I see that you are supposed to torque the rings to a specific inch-pound. I started looking online for a torque driver and...they are not cheap. Does everyone actually use a torque driver to mount their scopes, or just do it by feel? I don't want to crush the scope tube, but I know they have to be tight enough to hold the scope securely. What's the consensus?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Since I have torque wrenches available, they get used. Action screws, gas key screws, scope rings and bases, etc etc.

For scope rings, in a pinch I can normally get the rings between 20 and 30 inch/pounds by hand (which is the common range for most scope rings and bases). But if you have the proper tools available, use them.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It is important, so you keep things consistent and dont damage the scope.

On high recoiling guns use baseball rosin in the rings before putting the scope in.

The FAT is a good inch pounds torque wrench they cost about $50 shipped. They "break" when the set value is achieved.

The Borka Tool is also a good one.

Harbor Freight sells inch pounds wrenches for $15.00. They are click type, which means they click when the value is achieved, so if you dont listen you can over torque.

The best one I have used is a Seeonk, but they are VERY pricey.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It is important, so you keep things consistent and dont damage the scope.

On high recoiling guns use baseball rosin in the rings before putting the scope in.

The FAT is a good inch pounds torque wrench they cost about $50 shipped. They "break" when the set value is achieved.

The Borka Tool is also a good one.

Harbor Freight sells inch pounds wrenches for $15.00. They are click type, which means they click when the value is achieved, so if you dont listen you can over torque.

The best one I have used is a Seeonk, but they are VERY pricey.

Never thought of that with the .50Beo, damn thing would shoot the scope loose in the rings even with them torqued at 45 in/lbs. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom