• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Hi folks -

If you're looking for something to do on Memorial Day (Monday), Loch Raven will be open for skeet, trap, wobble trap, and 5 stand from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm.

720Deere

Dec 6, 2009
    Humbling...

Have you ever shot a full sporting clays course? If 5 stand is humbling, a full SC course must be downright embarassing! LOL 5 stand target presentations are typically a lot easier than they are on a regular course.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    LRs 5-stand is not bad once you learn where the targets are coming from and going to.
    Then the guys get bored and move them all around and you have to start over again.
    It's addicting. You'll find me there on Thursday afternoons.

Sunday I shot two rounds with my 20g, and two rounds with a 12g. I was there by myself for a while and two guys wandered down and I introduced them to 5-stand. They loved it. Now they're hooked. Haha. 5-stand costs a couple of bucks per round more than trap or skeet, but it's worth it.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    LRs 5-stand is not bad once you learn where the targets are coming from and going to.
    Then the guys get bored and move them all around and you have to start over again.

The 5-stand targets get moved around A LOT! Sometimes they're insanely difficult. It's still addicting.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

Sunday I shot two rounds with my 20g, and two rounds with a 12g. I was there by myself for a while and two guys wandered down and I introduced them to 5-stand. They loved it. Now they're hooked. Haha. 5-stand costs a couple of bucks per round more than trap or skeet, but it's worth it.

Hmm, depending on what time my rifle range session ends Thursday, I may stop by and try 5 stand.

What choke does one use? I have a 391 and two choke tubes. Improved Modified and something else. Would a trap load work?

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Hmm, depending on what time my rifle range session ends Thursday, I may stop by and try 5 stand.

What choke does one use? I have a 391 and two choke tubes. Improved Modified and something else. Would a trap load work?

I use a light modified choke, but I've shot it with improved cylinder. Most of the time the shot presentations aren't that far away. If you're on the target improved modified can work, but I like a bit more spread on the pattern.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I use a light modified choke, but I've shot it with improved cylinder. Most of the time the shot presentations aren't that far away. If you're on the target improved modified can work, but I like a bit more spread on the pattern.

I use skeet chokes or IC with both the 12 and the 20 and can break them (when I hit them) just fine. Get on the outgoers fast and wait for the incomers.
    Trap loads work. LR requires #7 1/2 or smaller shot size and 3 dram max if I recall. No high brass or large shot. I use #8 at 1200 fps.

ps: 5-stand is available Thursdays, Saturday and Sundays, not Wednesdays or Fridays IIRC.
    Circleshooter: Is that right?

720Deere

Dec 6, 2009

Like the other guys said, light modified works fine. I shoot IC most of the time with 1 oz loads. I usually carry some 1-1/8 oz #7.5 loads for the longer shots. It really all depends on how your gun patterns as they all seem to be different. I don't have a LM for my gun, but if it would pattern like I think it would, that would be my go to choke.

If you guys really want to try something addicting, hit up the wobble trap at Pintail Point. That thing is insanely easy, yet I have rarely seen anybody shoot a clean 25 on it! Frustration and addiction collide when such a simple, easy target eludes you!

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, you're really shooting when you shoot at targets that don't do the same thing, or stand at different stations shooting at the same targets.

LOL

:D

Be a man, don't call for lookers either. :lol2: I have not been to Loch Raven's 5 stand, going to have to try it sometime.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Yeah, you're really shooting when you shoot at targets that don't do the same thing, or stand at different stations shooting at the same targets.

LOL

Yeah, me and everyone I shoot with get tired of standing on the skeet field shooting 100 straight after 100 straight all day long. :rolleyes:

I really like sporting clays but it takes too much time getting there and back from the facilities. I've started shooting more 5-stand and the regulars at Loch Raven do a nice job of keeping the targets changing. We have 9 traps and the newest is for battue's.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Exactly! Why roll your eyes?

Whether or not you roll 25 straight round after round, or miss every bird round after round it's still the same stuff, the adrenaline rush (to me) is not missing. LOL I'm just poking fun though!

I like to drive to work different ways, so I guess I prefer variety.

720Deere

Dec 6, 2009
    I would rather shoot 60% at sporting clays than 95% at skeet or trap any day of the week. Don't get me wrong, I just love to shoot at any clay targets, but given a choice I will take the 5 stand or sporting clays over all others.

Shooting a station without lookers is the ultimate. After all, how many times have you stopped in a corn field and gotten looker doves?

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Exactly! Why roll your eyes?

Whether or not you roll 25 straight round after round, or miss every bird round after round it's still the same stuff, the adrenaline rush (to me) is not missing. LOL I'm just poking fun though!

I like to drive to work different ways, so I guess I prefer variety.

I know you're poking fun. I love all the clay games - well, trap doesn't do a lot for me - and when I actually shoot 100's all day I'll give up skeet! I've gotten to where I'm shooting 25's regularly but can't seem to string them together!

Funny, I have friends that shoot rifles and pistols and I tell them that I can't shoot at stationary targets any more. They need to be moving!

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I would rather shoot 60% at sporting clays than 95% at skeet or trap any day of the week. Don't get me wrong, I just love to shoot at any clay targets, but given a choice I will take the 5 stand or sporting clays over all others.

Shooting a station without lookers is the ultimate. After all, how many times have you stopped in a corn field and gotten looker doves?

Thing is, only the first shooter in the squad shoots "without lookers," right?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Have you ever shot a full sporting clays course? If 5 stand is humbling, a full SC course must be downright embarassing! LOL 5 stand target presentations are typically a lot easier than they are on a regular course.

This is very true. I shot my first SC course 2 weekends ago with circleshooter and JMintzer. It was a blast, but very humbling. The clays come from angles that are just foreign to your brain. I think I'm hooked......

Damn you, circleshooter!:mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom