• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I will be installing a barrel on a BCM M4 upper receiver,,
    What is the most cost effective way to "retain" the receiver while torquing, and re-torquing the barrel nut?

Obviously I do not want to damage the receiver,, but I do not want to spend $120 on a receiver jig that is on back order.

Is there an effective way to hold the receiver without damaging it,, Without spending $100 plus dollars?

Thanks

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Get someone who has the tools to help you or if you really want to, see if you can borrow it.
    Most cost effective way.
    If you let on to where you are located or work, may be able to work something out.

You have a receiver or you are replacing an existing barrel on an assembled upper assembly?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I will be installing a barrel on a BCM M4 upper receiver,,
    What is the most cost effective way to "retain" the receiver while torquing, and re-torquing the barrel nut?

Obviously I do not want to damage the receiver,, but I do not want to spend $120 on a receiver jig that is on back order.

Is there an effective way to hold the receiver without damaging it,, Without spending $100 plus dollars?

Thanks

I do not know if this particular item is a good tool or not, I have never assembled an AR upper, I just remember seeing it in stock at Bass Pro a few months ago. According to the web site it is still in stock and matches your criteria (Not on back order, Not $100+).

It appears to put the stress of holding the assembly in place on the steel locking lugs and not on the aluminum reciever.

Hopefully someone with experience will weigh in on its effectiveness.

Wheeler Engineering AR-15 Upper Receiver Action Rod
    $64.99

The Wheeler Engineering® Upper Receiver AR-15 Action Rod is a must have tool for your AR build. This unique tool reduces stress on the upper receiver when installing the barrel, protecting it against stress fractures under extreme force. Compatible with most upper receivers, the action rod allows you to work on your upper receiver without removing your sights or optics. A simple twist and lock design holds the tool in place, while the integrated gas port index rod ensures proper alignment of the gas tube.
    Manufacturer model #: 4211100

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/wheeler-engineering-ar-15-upper-receiver-action-rod

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The Midwest Industries URR is the *best* way to do it.

At minimum, I think a reaction rod should be used. With care obviously.

Plenty of people on this forum with tools available.

If you are not too far from me, I'd be happy to let you use my tools. I have a basic armorers tool set with a reaction rod and a sturdy vise.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I'm in "Northern" Southern MD :),, The Dunkirk-Upper Marlboro-Waldorf area is my typ travels.

I have a BCM M4 receiver and about to purchase a barrel and free float hand guard. Probably a couple weeks out,, just getting my ducks in a row.
    But yeah, total novice on the AR platform.

Thanks

Get someone who has the tools to help you or if you really want to, see if you can borrow it.
    Most cost effective way.
    If you let on to where you are located or work, may be able to work something out.

You have a receiver or you are replacing an existing barrel on an assembled upper assembly?

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I appreciate the offer,,
    Once I get the barrel/Handguard in,, I'll hit you up.
    Just trying to talk myself into the $260 Faxon Hvy fluted Match,, and not cheaping out with a $99 BCA barrel.

The Midwest Industries URR is the *best* way to do it.

At minimum, I think a reaction rod should be used. With care obviously.

Plenty of people on this forum with tools available.

If you are not too far from me, I'd be happy to let you use my tools. I have a basic armorers tool set with a reaction rod and a sturdy vise.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I appreciate the offer,,
    Once I get the barrel/Handguard in,, I'll hit you up.
    Just trying to talk myself into the $260 Faxon Hvy fluted Match,, and not cheaping out with a $99 BCA barrel.

You could split the difference and get a Ballistic Advantage 16inch mid gas HBAR.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-5-56-mid-length-hbar-barrel-modern-series.html

You can even order it with a pinned low profile gas block for $40.

I've assembled countless uppers with this barrel and have nothing but good things to say about it for the price.

If you sign up for their newsletter they send you a 10% off coupon.

That BCM upper deserves better than BCA...

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Attachments

• 210021.jpeg
      210021.jpeg
      52.4 KB · Views: 968

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    The Wheeler engineering reaction rod is also good and you can get it off Amazon for 70 bucks

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I did look at BA,,
    I want a 1:8 twist and under 2lb.
    The Faxon is 1.7lb and 1:8 twist, while The BA HBAR is 2.2lb. and 1:7 twist.

The price difference is only a tank of gas :)

You could split the difference and get a Ballistic Advantage 16inch mid gas HBAR.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-5-56-mid-length-hbar-barrel-modern-series.html

You can even order it with a pinned low profile gas block for $40.

I've assembled countless uppers with this barrel and have nothing but good things to say about it for the price.

If you sign up for their newsletter they send you a 10% off coupon.

That BCM upper deserves better than BCA...

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    SkiPD has offered to help me,,
    If the bug bites and I build more after this one,, I will invest in the proper holder and armorers wrench. I most of the other "basic" tools from engine building.

I've got one of those nylon blocks you pin it to and grab in a vice. Works good.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I would personally avoid clamshells and nylon magazine receiver holders to install a barrel. You can torque the upper and deform it. The reaction rod puts the torque on the lugs, not the receiver. But it's your gun.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I would personally avoid clamshells and nylon magazine receiver holders to install a barrel. You can torque the upper and deform it. The reaction rod puts the torque on the lugs, not the receiver. But it's your gun.

I use a reaction rod for a muzzle device. But for a barrel nut I like the clamshell.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Reaction rod does put force on the receiver. They can break index pins and uppers. I have lots of damaged barrels and uppers that were trashed with a RR.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The Midwest URR will prevent barrel extension clocking. The RR, clamshells, jigs that hold the takedown/pivot pins, and Bev Blocks won't.

The BEV Block isn't a bad tool it's not as precise as the URR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom