For those of you still supporting Larry Hogan for governor...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    How do you propose to change Maryland? Voting for the lesser of two evils has never worked, and never will. Hogan isn't even a speed bump in the road to gun confiscation in Maryland.

Step 1: Reduce the amount and influence of Democrats in power, always. Right now, Republicans seem to be the only alternative. If there was another group that had a sliver of a chance of reducing the Democrat presence, I might vote for them...but who are they? :shrug: Maybe...just maybe if someone had the universal appeal and recognition of Mike Rowe, maybe they could offer a better challenge to Jealous than Hogan. But I haven't heard any of their ads yet, and time is getting close.

Step 2: Well...we can worry about that if we ever get past Step 1.

If Hogan isn't a speed bump, at least he isn't an express lane. Was he in the MGA pushing his version of FSA2013 like O'Malley was?

I compromised my values and voted for a guy I thought was an ******* in the General Presidential election. I really thought Ben Carson would be the kind of president I would want to be. When the choices were widdled down to Trump or Clinton, I never even considered following my heart to write in Ben Carson. Maybe if enough of us had, he would have won and accepted the job even after he lost the primary and the world might be a better place :shrug: Maybe if enough of us had written in Ben Carson, we wouldn't have the guy I thought was an ******* in office right now :fingerscrossed:

Who has a better shot right now of beating Jealous than Hogan? Show me, convince me, and I'll vote and campaign for them.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Wherever ones vote goes it is proven not to help veto anti bills. 2A is not to be considered in this next election! 2A may not even be mentioned in this race as the two seem to have the same stance. Is our gerrymandering case done yet?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Why do so many on this board think that BJ will be so much worse than LH?
    BJ could submit a high tax budget, but the MGA has to approve it right?
    Who's to say that the MGA won't alter LH's budget to what BJ wanted. LH CANNOT stop them, and would he even try to? His signing the gun bills tells me he wouldn't try. He slapped us all in the face.
    What ACTUAL power does LH have to stop the MGA??

With the way the MGA is set up, does it really matter who the MD Gov is? It could be Rocky and Bullwinkle and the MGA will continue to do what they want.

If LH had vetoed the gun bills, he would be getting my vote in Nov. Alas, he signed them with a smile on his face.

Sorry fellas, I cannot in good conscience, pull the lever for LH this Nov. I have to vote with my morals and values. :sad20:

Actually, just a point of information. The Maryland Constitution gives the Governor a great deal of executive power in the budget process, more than in most states or in the federal government. The Governor sets the revenue estimates that establish the basis for State spending; and is required to submit a balanced budget proposal to the General Assembly on or by the 3rd Wednesday in January, or in the first year of a new term, by the 10th day of the Legislative Session. The General Assembly can only cut the Operating Budget. They cannot add to the budget. They cannot rearrange items to spend less in one area and more in another. See Art. III, Section 52.

In the budget, it matters a great deal who is Governor in MD. And it remains to be seen whether the Rs can elect enough Rs to deprive the Ds of their ability to override vetos. Lots of seats open this year.

Finally, another point of education. MSI is non-partisan so we don't endorse or not endorse anyone. But, I will repeat something I said earlier and which bears repetition. I was there in the back rooms of Annapolis in 2013. The only reason it passed was because Gov. O'Malley pulled out all stops and pushed it through. A Governor has a lot of political power and leverage. I have been in the back rooms of Annapolis throughout the Hogan years. He has not once done something like that. Does that make a difference down in the trenches of Annapolis where I am every session? OF COURSE it does. Please, don't make my life harder. It is hard enough in Annapolis.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I just had an epiphany! Those who like their guns but won't vote for Hogan might be, in a twisted sort of way, optimists. They are still confident that he is going to win, and by not voting for him, they can have a clear conscience any time he does something we don't like, "Hey, I didn't vote for him :shrug:"

I wish I could be that optimistic.:sad20:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    And voting for Hogan is a vote to have a gun grabbing Governor .

( And I'm a former Hogan apologist )

Yep

Me and mine will vote hogan but I know the reality of it is he’s a grabber. I expect him to sign into law , if he’s re-elected, a mags over 10 round ban, an ammo thru the mail ban, an 80% ban and either confiscate or serialze the existing ones as a form or grandfathering, a ban on parts they the mail and to push an assault weapon ban. I fully expect this and I am on my countdown to leaving md.

But he still, after all that seems a red couchy hair better than bj, just one extra thin couchy hair

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yep

Me and mine will vote hogan but I know the reality of it is he’s a grabber. I expect him to sign into law , if he’s re-elected, a mags over 10 round ban, an ammo thru the mail ban, an 80% ban and either confiscate or serialze the existing ones as a form or grandfathering, a ban on parts they the mail and to push an assault weapon ban. I fully expect this and I am on my countdown to leaving md.

But he still, after all that seems a red couchy hair better than bj, just one extra thin couchy hair

Think of it this way. IF Hogan does what you are saying he MIGHT do at least you won't be paying 50% more in taxes while leisurely planning your exit. If Jealousy is sleeping in the .guv's mansion next January you and yours will need to vacate by 10/1/19.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    At some point Maryland gun owners need to take a stand against gun grabbers and let the MDGOP know that the candidates they keep spoon feeding us are sh!t and you won't vote for them anymore. I LOVE the work that the Patriot Picket does and I've donated money to the cause, but what good does it really do to protest one day and then trip over each other rushing to the polls to vote for a gun grabber who disavows the NRA and it's members? I don't get it.

Consider these numbers, from Wikipedia. I was born in 1972. These are the election results for every Maryland governor race in my lifetime:

The 2014 Maryland gubernatorial election was held on November 4, 2014.

Larry Hogan / Boyd Rutherford (Republican) - 884,400 (51.03%%)
    Anthony G. Brown / Ken Ulman (Democratic) - 818,890 (47.25%)
    Shawn Quinn / Lorenzo Gaztañaga (Libertarian) - 25,382 (1.46%)
    Write-ins - 4,505 (0.26%)

The 2010 Maryland gubernatorial election was held on November 2, 2010.

Martin O'Malley / Anthony G. Brown (Democratic) - 1,043,724 (56.2%)
    Robert L. Ehrlich / Mary D. Kane (Republican) - 775,661 (41.8%)
    Susan Gaztañaga / Doug McNeil (Libertarian) - 14,124 (0.8%)
    Allwine / Eidel (Green) - 11,809 (0.6%)
    Knowles / Hargadon (Constitution) - 8,596 (0.5%)
    Write-ins - 1,943 (0.1%)

Martin O'Malley / Anthony G. Brown (D) - 942,279 (52.7%)
    Robert L. Ehrlich / Kristen Cox (R) * - 825,464 (46.2%)
    Ed Boyd / James Madigan (G) - 15,551 (0.9%)
    Chris Driscoll / Ed Rothstein (P) - 3,481 (0.2%)

Robert L. Ehrlich / Michael S. Steele (R) - 879,592 (51.55%)
    Kathleen Kennedy Townsend / Charles R. Larson (D) - 813,422 (47.68%)
    Spear Lancaster / Lorenzo Gaztañaga (L) - 11,546 (0.68%)

Parris N. Glendening / Kathleen Kennedy Townsend (D)* - 846,972 (55.17%)
    Ellen Sauerbrey / Richard D. Bennett (R) - 688,357 (44.83%)

Parris N. Glendening / Kathleen Kennedy Townsend (D) - 708,094 (50.21%)
    Ellen Sauerbrey / Paul Rappaport (R) - 702,101 (49.79%)

William Donald Schaefer / Melvin Steinberg (D)* - 664,015 (59.77%)
    William S. Shepard / Lois Shepard (R) - 446,980 (40.23%)

William Donald Schaefer / Melvin Steinberg (D) - 907,291 (82.37%)
    Thomas J. Mooney / Melvin Bilal (R) - 194,185 (17.63%)

Harry R. Hughes/ J. Joseph Curran, Jr. (D)* - 705,910 (61.99%)
    Robert Pascal/ Newton Ivan Steers, Jr. (R) - 432,826 (38.01%)

Harry R. Hughes/ Samuel W. Bogley (D) - 718,328 (70.98%)
    John Glenn Beall, Jr./ Aris T. Allen (R) - 293,635 (29.02%)

Marvin Mandel/ Blair Lee III (D)* - 602,648 (63.50%)
    Louise Gore/ Frank B. Wade (R) - 346,449 (36.50%)

Those of you who think that Jealous will win if you don't vote for Hogan are delusional. No race in my lifetime has been that close. If 2,000 MDS members write in "NO GUN GRABBERS" instead of voting for Hogan, you will not sway the election one way or the other. You will however, send a strong message to the MDGOP.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Think of it this way. IF Hogan does what you are saying he MIGHT do at least you won't be paying 50% more in taxes while leisurely planning your exit. If Jealousy is sleeping in the .guv's mansion next January you and yours will need to vacate by 10/1/19.

My thoughts/fears as well.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I just had an epiphany! Those who like their guns but won't vote for Hogan might be, in a twisted sort of way, optimists. They are still confident that he is going to win, and by not voting for him, they can have a clear conscience any time he does something we don't like, "Hey, I didn't vote for him :shrug:"

I wish I could be that optimistic.:sad20:

And if he loses by just a few thousand votes, each one of them can point to the margin and say, "it wasn't my fault."

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I don't know Mike Rowe's politics but he seems like a pretty common sense kinda guy who is a Baltimore native (I think). Why doesn't he run as a democrat? If the election was tomorrow and all I knew of him is what I know now I would vote for him for pretty much any office. A conservative running with a (D) next to their name is probably our best bet. Sherriff Clark won as a Democrat in Milwaukee. If he put an (R) next to his name I think he would have lost.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Ehrlich failed us and didn't give us CCW so we got rid of that anti-gun RINO and got O'Malley and his alabaster cities gleaming undimmed by human tears.
    Yeah that was a good move.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Choosing the lesser of two evils has never worked and never will?

Never "worked" at what? It "works" every day under all kinds of circumstances, millions of times a day all around the world, when unpleasant choices are the only options.

It sounds nice as a mantra, but it's utter bullsh*t.

Choosing the lesser of two evils has gotten you a governor who passed pro-gun legislation?

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    wholly crap is that the number? will people vote for that?
    It may not be on the ballot, but it damn sure is in the platform of BJ. Sugar coat it all you want, but any vote that benefits BJ (in this case a vote not for Hogan) is a vote for that 50% increase.

Boy, there are a lot of stubborn meatheads on this Forum. God help us if Jealous wins. Not everyone can just up and move.
    I sincerely hope that many, if not most of the principle posturing against Hogan folks will actually pull the lever for Hogan when the time comes.

To think, even for a moment, that the GOP organizers are clever enough to realize that we need a REAL Republican/conservative, and that they'll be able to come up with an ELECTABLE candidate is wishful thinking at best, and just not going to happen in reality. Not in Maryland. Not in our lifetimes. Those days are over.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    At some point Maryland gun owners need to take a stand against gun grabbers and let the MDGOP know that the candidates they keep spoon feeding us are sh!t and you won't vote for them anymore. I LOVE the work that the Patriot Picket does and I've donated money to the cause, but what good does it really do to protest one day and then trip over each other rushing to the polls to vote for a gun grabber who disavows the NRA and it's members? I don't get it.

Consider these numbers, from Wikipedia. I was born in 1972. These are the election results for every Maryland governor race in my lifetime:

Those of you who think that Jealous will win if you don't vote for Hogan are delusional. No race in my lifetime has been that close. If 2,000 MDS members write in "NO GUN GRABBERS" instead of voting for Hogan, you will not sway the election one way or the other. You will however, send a strong message to the MDGOP.

Straw man arguments, irrelevant statistics, invalid conclusions.

Maybe you should focus on saving Colorado from the Lefties that are consuming it right under your nose. I lived in Denver long before you moved there, when you were still in elementary school, and it's changed a lot since those days -- in the wrong direction.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Actually, just a point of information. The Maryland Constitution gives the Governor a great deal of executive power in the budget process, more than in most states or in the federal government. The Governor sets the revenue estimates that establish the basis for State spending; and is required to submit a balanced budget proposal to the General Assembly on or by the 3rd Wednesday in January, or in the first year of a new term, by the 10th day of the Legislative Session. The General Assembly can only cut the Operating Budget. They cannot add to the budget. They cannot rearrange items to spend less in one area and more in another. See Art. III, Section 52.

In the budget, it matters a great deal who is Governor in MD. And it remains to be seen whether the Rs can elect enough Rs to deprive the Ds of their ability to override vetos. Lots of seats open this year.

Finally, another point of education. MSI is non-partisan so we don't endorse or not endorse anyone. But, I will repeat something I said earlier and which bears repetition. I was there in the back rooms of Annapolis in 2013. The only reason it passed was because Gov. O'Malley pulled out all stops and pushed it through. A Governor has a lot of political power and leverage. I have been in the back rooms of Annapolis throughout the Hogan years. He has not once done something like that. Does that make a difference down in the trenches of Annapolis where I am every session? OF COURSE it does. Please, don't make my life harder. It is hard enough in Annapolis.
    Can the Gov's budget pass without the MGA's approval?

Sorry, I didn't know the MGA couldn't add to the budget.
    So that being the case, couldn't the MGA just tell the Gov what they want in the next budget, or they will never approve what is submitted to them??

I'd rather spend my time trying to help overturn the D's veto proof majority. That way, it won't matter who lives in the Gov's mansion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom