Question about "Bushmaster Semi Auto Rifle" on ban list.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JakeD

Jun 11, 2017
    Is this interpreted by MSP as ALL Bushmaster semi auto rifles?
    I have my eye on a K&M M17S308 bullpup http://www.kmarms.com/M17S308.html. With a 20" barrel it doesn't meet the criteria for a "copycat" weapon, but I'm worried that if the Bushmaster M17S falls under the Bushmaster ban umbrella, this K&M Arms rifle could be construed as a "copy" (distinct from "copycat").
    I noticed on the MSP website it mentions that a "copy" needs to both look like AND be 100% functionally swappable with a banned weapon...obviously a the guts of a .308 will not functionally swap with a .223...be that as it may, I'd really like to get something in writing. What's your guys' take on this? Suggestions? Thanks.

PS I should add that the manufacturer, two MD FFLs, and MSP all informed me via phone call that, given their understanding, they did not see a problem. Am I being paranoid wanting more concrete assurances?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If an FFL will transfer it, It should be GTG. It does not have the fearsome "Bushmaster" name on it.
    I really don't think it's being paranoid to mistrust MDSP interpretations. Merely self preservation.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Is this interpreted by MSP as ALL Bushmaster semi auto rifles?
    I have my eye on a K&M M17S308 bullpup http://www.kmarms.com/M17S308.html. With a 20" barrel it doesn't meet the criteria for a "copycat" weapon, but I'm worried that if the Bushmaster M17S falls under the Bushmaster ban umbrella, this K&M Arms rifle could be construed as a "copy" (distinct from "copycat").
    I noticed on the MSP website it mentions that a "copy" needs to both look like AND be 100% functionally swappable with a banned weapon...obviously a the guts of a .308 will not functionally swap with a .223...be that as it may, I'd really like to get something in writing. What's your guys' take on this? Suggestions? Thanks.

PS I should add that the manufacturer, two MD FFLs, and MSP all informed me via phone call that, given their understanding, they did not see a problem. Am I being paranoid wanting more concrete assurances?

Yes, yes you are.

It is a perfectly legal firearm to purchase and own in MD.

And MSP will NOT provide any guidance in writing to allay your doubts.

JakeD

Jun 11, 2017
    Fair enough. My thought, too, is that it's legal, but this will be my first rifle purchase within MD and I'm finding the wording around some terms/phrases ("copy", for one) to be quite ambiguous.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Fair enough. My thought, too, is that it's legal, but this will be my first rifle purchase within MD and I'm finding the wording around some terms/phrases ("copy", for one) to be quite ambiguous.

Do a little searching on the site and you will find a link to the AG letter that defines "copy".

The legislature makes all of the laws ambiguous on purpose.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document Downloads/FIREARMS BULLETIN.pdf

A-ha...Looks like this is the place where they define a "copy" as both cosmetically similar AND functionally interchangeable.

Again, I believe I'm in the clear, I just wish MD legislature would have thought this through!

Thanks for the point in the right direction.

What you have to know, about the (Now banned) list, is that it was a direct copy of the CA list back in 1989 when the first 39 items were made regulated. The legislature did absolutely no thought on the subject other than a knee jerk reaction.

And no problem at all, enjoy your purchase and you might want to tell us how it shoots down in the rifle forum below.

JakeD

Jun 11, 2017
    Ahh I see now. Hurried, "feel good" legislation at its finest!

...And yes, I'll make sure to post a review once it comes in!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Do a little searching on the site and you will find a link to the AG letter that defines "copy".

The legislature makes all of the laws ambiguous on purpose.

You are giving them credit. They are ambiguous because this is a bunch of folks who know little or nothing about guns making laws about them.

Feb 28, 2013
    You are giving them credit. They are ambiguous because this is a bunch of folks who know little or nothing about guns making laws about them.

Negatory, sir.

I'll give ya that a good bit of stateys might not know nuffin' 'bout guns, but they didn't make the law. Martin O'Stupidley owns that one.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Negatory, sir.

I'll give ya that a good bit of stateys might not know nuffin' 'bout guns, but they didn't make the law. Martin O'Stupidley owns that one.

Read what he was replying to, it was my statement about the legislature, not MSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom