• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I did a quick look around and couldn't find discussion on this particular question. If it exists please respond with the thread link.

So....has anyone thought of bringing a complete HBAR upper, and rifle stock assembly (minus the spring/buffer etc for simplicity) to a gun store and just bolting them onto a stripped lower to make it a rifle, then buying it cash and carry?

Of course it's now a rifle for life, as per the resulting paper work but if you intended to build a rifle anyway then why not?

Seems logical enough to me.

Talk amongst yourselves.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    The manufacturer is whoever machined the lower.... you can't manufacture something twice

Not true, BATF says if you have an 07 FFL and complete a stripped lower into a rifle the 07 FFL is now the MFR of the "Rifle" and it has to be marked on the RCVR and recorded as such in FFL's records. 01 FFL's cant "build" or MFR items for reference.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Ah I see. But to be clear, if the FFL where a 007 they could have stripped lowers for sale, and if someone wanted to build the rifle in the shop as per the OP they could do so?

They may be able to, but good luck getting that to happen. It would also go against the 07 FFL's manufacturing #'s. We are somewhat limited on how many items we can MFR before we have to pay 11% excise tax on any said manufactured items.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I know folks that asked that of several FF's and they wont do it for the reasons above.

Paige

Jan 30, 2008
    Not true, BATF says if you have an 07 FFL and complete a stripped lower into a rifle the 07 FFL is now the MFR of the "Rifle" and it has to be marked on the RCVR and recorded as such in FFL's records. 01 FFL's cant "build" or MFR items for reference.

I guess that's what I get for applying logic to the situation. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom