Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Preppers
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old October 15th, 2020, 09:38 AM #631

Stopped at H-Mart in Frederick last night. Picked up some butane cylinders - $5.50 for the 4-pack. They also had cases (28 bottles) for about $35. Haven't found a better price for a local retailer.

As noted previously, this is plain butane and won't work as well as the "winter mix" propane blend when it's cold. Gonna have to break-out the new Gas-One stove and put it through its paces this weekend ... need to make sure all the infrastructure items play nice together.
Attached Images

MigraineMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2020, 05:04 PM #632
Tier 1 Keyboard Operator

Location: Where the men are men and the sheep are scared. Woodbine!
Tier 1 Keyboard Operator

Location: Where the men are men and the sheep are scared. Woodbine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster229 View Post
Was starting to run out of room, so bought 2 more shelves yesterday. Things are looking pretty good right now.
2 small freezers with meat. Getting another pig and 1/4 cow next month. Will be getting an extra freezer for a spare.
Let's just say the TP and paper towel stash is embarrassing huge
Awesome

“You’re not peaceful if you’re not capable of great violence. Rather, you’re harmless.”
Alphabrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2020, 05:30 PM #633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster229 View Post
Was starting to run out of room, so bought 2 more shelves yesterday. Things are looking pretty good right now.
2 small freezers with meat. Getting another pig and 1/4 cow next month. Will be getting an extra freezer for a spare.
Let's just say the TP and paper towel stash is embarrassing huge
Looks like I have some catching up to do.
Alan3413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2020, 01:31 PM #634

I picked up a 300w Meterk portable battery inverter pack (295wh, 300w output) as well as a 60w folding solar panel on a prime day deal. Not enough to run the fridge. Might manage the chest freezer (I don't think it's compressor peaks over 300w). Won't manage the fridge. It will pretty easily manage one of my minifridges. Not long term though. Running a kill-a-watt they use around 200wh a day as a fridge and 300wh as a freezer (I've upgraded the insulation on the door and a couple of other parts of them. I use them for brewing/fermentation chambers, but easy enough to covert to a mini-freezer or fridge again). But with some sun and luck I could keep one running on the setup for a few days if there are no heavy overcast days.

But mostly got it for camping and prolonged power out. I have a generator with plenty of fuel for it to run it 2-3hrs a day to keep the fridge and freezers cold, run the well pump, take showers, recharge some stuff. Then can rely on the battery pack/solar for when the generator isn't running to keep some stuff powered like a laptop, a few lights, box fan, etc. Especially at night where I wouldn't want the generator running after dark (either in regular or dangerous times).

But for prolonged also, again stretches everything. Since I am pretty confident it will run the chest freezer, I could always use most of the juice at night to run the chest freezer and then only need to run the generator for maybe an hour mid morning to deep cool the chest freezer. And also probably be able to use the battery pack a little during the day as it is charging off solar (and probably just run it straight on the generator while the generator is on for max charging rate, as it charges at 60w maximum rate, but a 60w solar panel realistically is only going to give 40-50w in most cases between losses on the cable, conversion losses in the DC-DC conversion, etc.) to do some things like recharge AA/AAA batteries, USB battery packs, phones, laptop.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2020, 09:06 AM #635
Official Meat Getter

Official Meat Getter

So I've got questions about this freezing rice before storing. Is that only for bulk rice bought from a grain barn or all rice? Cuz I've got twenty pounds bags in the basement that are at least a year old from the grocery store that I never froze. Is this about bugs for long term storage only or am I missing something? Thanks
"Misanthrope? I don't hate my fellow man, even when he's tiresome and surly and tries to cheat at poker. I figure that's just a human material, and him that finds in it cause for anger and dismay is just a fool for expecting better." - Buster Scruggs

SMC
kstone803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2020, 04:03 PM #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstone803 View Post
So I've got questions about this freezing rice before storing. Is that only for bulk rice bought from a grain barn or all rice? Cuz I've got twenty pounds bags in the basement that are at least a year old from the grocery store that I never froze. Is this about bugs for long term storage only or am I missing something? Thanks
Yes-inquiring minds want to know. I can’t fit a 20 pound bag of rice or flour in my freezer. My intent is to break the rice and flour into ziplock bags. Then put those in a Mylar bag in a bucket. I figure that will make it more manageable in the end. Can I freeze the ziplock filled bags and then put them in the Mylar?
cap6888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2020, 10:43 PM #637
ReMember

ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstone803 View Post
Yes, bugs, their larvae and eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap6888 View Post
Yes-inquiring minds want to know. I can’t fit a 20 pound bag of rice or flour in my freezer. My intent is to break the rice and flour into ziplock bags. Then put those in a Mylar bag in a bucket. I figure that will make it more manageable in the end. Can I freeze the ziplock filled bags and then put them in the Mylar?
Yes you can.
adit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2020, 11:58 PM #638
Official Meat Getter

Official Meat Getter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit View Post
Yes, bugs, their larvae and eggs.

Yes you can.
I'm still confused about what determines this and what circumstances it needs to be apploed. Does grocery store bought rice have bug issues? Just from a grain barn? Only rice? Any grain left in an uncontrolled environment? I've seen people freeze flour due to flour/pantry moths but never heard or this with rice.
"Misanthrope? I don't hate my fellow man, even when he's tiresome and surly and tries to cheat at poker. I figure that's just a human material, and him that finds in it cause for anger and dismay is just a fool for expecting better." - Buster Scruggs

SMC
kstone803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2020, 06:27 PM #639

I just got a happy result from a food test today. Was repacking 72 hr kits and MRE stuff into buckets from a donut shop and decided to test some MRE accessories I brought home in the early 90's. Crackers were like new. Crispy and delicious with a little peanut butter. The cherry drink was actually great. Never drank any when eating MREs on active duty so I was pleasantly surprised at how good it tastes.

Over the past few years some of the the MRE entrees have deteriorated but crackers, dessert/candy, peanut butter has stayed very edible and the heating units work well.

While straightening things out my inventory shows that, even without the dozens of MREs, I have over 2 months of freeze dried and dehydrated foodstuffs available. I'm good with that since I'm prepping more for natural disasters. If the world goes to hell I'm too old and my wife's too disabled to go much longer. We'd be bugging in.
Proud Patriot Guard Rider
Charter Member, JPFO
Occasional Asshole
Docster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2020, 08:05 PM #640
JMB fan club

JMB fan club

I picked up a few bottles of rubbing alcohol from the Frederick Walmart. Its the first time i’ve seen it in stock in a long time.

I also got my med kit in the mail today from Medical Gear Outfitters
engineerbrian is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Preppers