Remembering Ledo's and Jerry's before they were chains.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Langley Park

Langley Park back when people spoke English there....

Grew up in Takey Park on Garland Ave near Flower and Carroll. Used to go to the Shakeys across University from Leoinie's. My father said he watched the '68 riots from Leonie's. There used to be a small amusement park up Riggs called Kiddy Land. Mom used to take ne there or Enchanted Forest. Loved Kiddy Land. Was only arounf ro like 10 years maybe near Philadelphia Ave.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Went to Good Counsel for 9th grade in 1981. Played football. used to go with the seniors there to drink beer and eat pizza!!!!

Was transferred from Einstein to Good Counsel in `87 after a couple fights... It was better to "step off campus for lunch" at Wheaton Roy Rogers, than Wheaton McDonald's. :innocent0 All my friends from there were from Olney - great field parties up that way. Way better than any local Wheaton or Kensington house parties... Speaking of Kensington, how bout some love for Continental Pizza? I am more partial to their Steak & Cheese Subs, but their pizza was kinda the Ledo's of MoCo before they expanded outside of Adelphi. Ledo's Sauce is still supreme though.

mickeyk9

Member Lives Matter
    Aug 18, 2011
    quantum spins
    +1 on Nicks. Unless you're drunk, in which case there's IHOP a block away. You kinda have to be drunk to eat at that one...
    +2 for Nicks.. used to go there every day before heading to GC and then to Chuck Levin's after school to hammer away on one of their guitars for an hour or two...

I go back to the area every now and again, it ain't the same

EDIT: what was the name of that little hole in the wall pub in Silver Spring across from where the metro is now.. it was down a flight of stairs, Georgia Ave. and Ellsworth? I doubt it's still there but man the stories I have from that place..

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Hadn't thought of Gino's in years loved eating there, I remember that they were one of the first to have a all you eat Salad bar.
    Jerry's in Wheaton was awesome, Wish it never changed
    Nicks was were I ate many breakfasts with my Dad ,he loved the home fries.
    Continental pizza and subs in Kensington on Connecticut Ave.
    Hot Shops in Wheaton Plazas, pancakes with strawberries
    Stained Glass Pub, Worked in the kitchen one summer, Wouldn'teat there if I was starving.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Grew up in Takey Park on Garland Ave near Flower and Carroll. Used to go to the Shakeys across University from Leoinie's. My father said he watched the '68 riots from Leonie's. There used to be a small amusement park up Riggs called Kiddy Land. Mom used to take ne there or Enchanted Forest. Loved Kiddy Land. Was only arounf ro like 10 years maybe near Philadelphia Ave.

Ah Leonies! A lot of my buds worked at Kiddy Land. Stay away from the snack bar...;).

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Anyone remember "Town and Country" on Georgia Ave just south of Randolph Road. They had great pizza.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Godfather's Pizza on Rockville Pike. Pizza pie chicago style iirc.

There was a GF's on Georgia in Wheaton. Don't know how long it's been gone. Last time I ate there was in the late 80's.

My brother worked at a GF's in the Chicago area back in the late 70's. When he made pizza to bring home to the family, instead of using canned veggies to top the pizza, which was standard operating practice, he raided the salad bar and got fresh ingredients!

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Kiddy Land was at New Hampshire Ave. and East West Hwy. My mom used to take us grocery shopping at the old A&P, which is now ALDI. No car seats, and two toddlers crawling around in the backseat, playing with whatever we found in the ashtrays. We would go to the car wash next door, which is still there. Ice cream at Weile's which is now a pawnshop. The local pawnshop had a big black and white photo of Weile's on the wall until they got bought out by First Cash. One of the employees took it. We used to get shoes at Shoe Giant and Daniel's Bootery. I've got an old sign from Shoe Giant that used to hang on the back of the building.

Attachments

• IMG_2444.JPG
      IMG_2444.JPG
      32.5 KB · Views: 724

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Kiddy Land was at New Hampshire Ave. and East West Hwy. My mom used to take us grocery shopping at the old A&P, which is now ALDI. No car seats, and two toddlers crawling around in the backseat, playing with whatever we found in the ashtrays. We would go to the car wash next door, which is still there. Ice cream at Weile's which is now a pawnshop. The local pawnshop had a big black and white photo of Weile's on the wall until they got bought out by First Cash. One of the employees took it. We used to get shoes at Shoe Giant and Daniel's Bootery. I've got an old sign from Shoe Giant that used to hang on the back of the building.

Weiles's. After every game we would make ourselves sick eating quarts of Ice cream.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    +2 for Nicks.. used to go there every day before heading to GC and then to Chuck Levin's after school to hammer away on one of their guitars for an hour or two...

EDIT: what was the name of that little hole in the wall pub in Silver Spring across from where the metro is now.. it was down a flight of stairs, Georgia Ave. and Ellsworth? I doubt it's still there but man the stories I have from that place..

"The Quarry" comes to mind for that place. I think it burned.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Bagel place

There was a bagel place on University between Georgia and Viers Mill. Used to go there on way to Q2 bus to Twnbrook.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    1987 GC

Was transferred from Einstein to Good Counsel in `87 after a couple fights... It was better to "step off campus for lunch" at Wheaton Roy Rogers, than Wheaton McDonald's. :innocent0 All my friends from there were from Olney - great field parties up that way. Way better than any local Wheaton or Kensington house parties... Speaking of Kensington, how bout some love for Continental Pizza? I am more partial to their Steak & Cheese Subs, but their pizza was kinda the Ledo's of MoCo before they expanded outside of Adelphi. Ledo's Sauce is still supreme though.

one of my younger brothers was there at that time. Rob Engels. remember Master Bates. lolol.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Kiddy Land

Awesome. Damn knew I was off a little. I remember going up that way. Thanks for the correction. hahaha Also the Korvettes in Langley Park used to have carnivals with the big slides and burlap sacks for speed. lolol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom