• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Apparently we have all been told to hang our deer the wrong way. Hanging carcasses by the pelvis achieves the same tenderness of the rump in 1 day as 1 week of hanging by the leg or neck. I already sent it to my buddy and he is going to make some different hooks.

tenderstretch-vs-achilles-tendon

It said the only reason butchers aren't doing this is the Tenderstretch method takes more room in the cooler.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Their reason for butchers not using this method makes me question the whole article. If it cuts that many days off the hang time, it would negate the extra room the meat takes up while hanging.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am going to call bs. "ageing" involves a lot more than stretching the muscles. If you are hunting outdoors in the cold "cold shortening" may happen because the temp is already very low. Whether and how much the muscles shorten has a lot to due with whether the animal was calm and dropped on the spot, or whether it ran 500 yards and fell exhausted. Exhausted animals are less likely to have the chemical energy for muscles to contract and shorten.

The only guaranteed way to prevent cold shortening is not to chill the carcass until after rigor mortis has set in (and the chemical energy in the muscle is used up so they do not contract). That means keeping it above 60 degrees for a few hours. After that, hang any way you want.

According to their own chart, there is a tradeoff. "tenderstretch" makes the tenderloin less tender. That makes sense, any hanging method will prevent the early contraction of some muscles but allow others. Most people like the tenderloin tender, I would think.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ah, so that's what that hole is for...

Attachments

• Richard-Eaton.jpg
      Richard-Eaton.jpg
      22.9 KB · Views: 1,039

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    We like to hang them with the rear quarters up so when they drain out the blood runs out the opened up chest cavity and stays off the hinds. I know some Mennonites/pa dutch who will hang a carcass till it molds up before making any meat 45 degree's and up. My buddy a butcher told me it makes no difference to age deer meat because there's little to no fat in it, so there is no to very little enzyme tenderizing going on. I wouldn't think anyone could tell if a deer ran 5 feet or 400 yards by how tender the meat is. Same thing with the old buck gamey flavor thing. Its all gamey if its not cooled off or the silver skin/tallow hasn't been removed. Worst is to put water to it, clean debris,blood and hair off with cheesecloth. Rub salt onto your hands when cutting up or boning out the meat to keep them dry, clean and maintain a good grip.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I usually try to hang deer head down for 2 days more so just to drain plenty of warm days I have killed deer and had them quartered and on ice in no more than an hour or two after I harvested them. Couldn't tell a difference in taste.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    This is just one person's opinion. My dad butchered all types of meat for more than 40 years. He never used that method. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who uses that method. A butcher is going to do whatever he can to allow for tender meat. I question the accuracy of that article.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I'll tell what I don't like is waterheaded bucks from hanging upsidedown. I'm not sure why this happens and only on a small # of them, but it is a major PIA when caping out the head and turning/fleshing the face. Another term is jellyhead. If you want a shoulder mount, I advise caping it ASAP, not letting the deer hang unskinned for days.

I hang my deer from the rear hocks, but I have never tried aging. It's always too warm. They are all does and fawns anyway, good and tender as they come.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    We have always hung them according to whether or not you were going to get a mount. The taxidermist will ask you to either bring it to him immediately, so he can cape it out, or if need be, hang it by the head as foxtrapper explained, for those very reasons.

The butcher will hang them by the hind legs to maximize the blood drainage from the hindquarters, so it's a tradeoff. I have been eating venison for many years that was hung head down, no issues... We usually let our deer hang for about a week in the cold box before they get cut.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'll tell what I don't like is waterheaded bucks from hanging upsidedown. I'm not sure why this happens and only on a small # of them, but it is a major PIA when caping out the head and turning/fleshing the face. Another term is jellyhead. If you want a shoulder mount, I advise caping it ASAP, not letting the deer hang unskinned for days.

I hang my deer from the rear hocks, but I have never tried aging. It's always too warm. They are all does and fawns anyway, good and tender as they come.

^^^This. My mounts get skun ASAP, before any hanging occurs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom