• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a few shotguns, none that I want to change into bird hunting configuration. So I'm on the hunt for a bird hunting shotgun. Specifically for a gas semiautomatic. I would prefer not to have to swap parts out to go from skeet loads to duck loads, but it's not a deal breaker. Useful suggestions will be appreciated :D

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    What’s your budget?
    I have a Browning Maxus that’s been very reliable for waterfowl, pheasant, dove, and clays. I’ll shoot it 1000 rounds without cleaning it.
    My son has a Winchester SX3 (same gun pretty much) that he’s very happy with.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have a used 28’’ Benelli SBE ll in limited edition ‘duck blind’ camo is sell for $1500. Will cycle 2-3/4 -3-1/2 without changing a thing. I sold a benelli 390 and Rem 1100 mag to get this and haven’t needed another gun for ducks, geese upland birds or even sporting clays since. I’d sell since I just got a SBE lll. PM me in Annapolis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I bought a Beretta A300 last year for about $700. It'll shoot everything from light trap loads to 3" steel BB's without changing or adjusting anything.So far I've used it to shoot trap, ducks, geese and pheasants. I love it.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    For sentimental reasons I like to shoot my dad's old Remington 1100 (and it just keeps working and working!), and enough so to have purchased a couple of different barrels for it. But I have to say: if I was without, I'd get myself a Benelli like I got my wife (she shoots a Legacy in 20GA ... plenty of quail, chukar, and even pheasant to her name with that gun - along with many broken clays). Love that ultra reliable action, the nice light weight to carry in the field, and the fact it's just a handsome gun.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    If I was in the market for a do it all bird gun right now, I would get a Benelli Ethos. If you ever do any upland hunting out west you want as light a gun as possible and the Ethos is going to be half a pound to a pound lighter than pretty much all the comparable gas guns.

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus. The Plus makes all the difference. I have shot the A400 Xtreme and like the feel of the operation but shouldering was blah. The Plus version shoulders awesome for me but I have not shot one. I want one.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    A lot of Benelli shotgun suggestions, too bad my local Benelli dealer shut down. I'll look at all of the above mentioned shotguns at the Chantilly Gun show this coming weekend.

On a side note, I hit All Shooters Tactical and picked up a Browning 2000 and a Spike's snowflake lower.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The Mossberg 930 is decent, and you could keep some of that budget for guide fees.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Budget is under $2000.

For hunting, I would go with e Benelli Super Vinci that can handle anything from 2 3/4" to 3 1/2" shells. It is super easy to take down, and not that it needs to be cleaned very often, but it is super easy to clean. Granted, it is recoil operated and not gas operated, so a little more recoil on the shoulder.

I have been using one of the earlier Benelli SBE shotguns that I bought in 1997. It has seen a lot of rounds through it and I use it for almost all my shotgun hunting (e.g., doves, ducks, geese, quail, pheasants, deer). I bought an ER Shaw barrel for slugs and have killed plenty of deer with it.

The Super Vinci will be my next hunting shotgun once my son starts using the SBE.

Now, for clays I would buy a Beretta gas gun, namely the A400. If you really want a gas gun, then I would recommend the A400. I have a Beretta 3901 in 12 gauge, three Beretta 391 (12, 20, 20), and a Beretta A400 Action in 28 gauge. They would all do just fine for hunting too. Have dove hunted with the 391's and waterfowl hunted with the 3901. Will eventually take the 28 gauge upland hunting.

Beretta has been in business for over 500 years and it owns a lot of other shooting/hunting companies (e.g., Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger, Uberti, Sako, Burris). According to Wiki, Beretta Holding owns 26 companies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_Holding

I swear coming to this forum is bad for my wallet and my marriage. Yay, look at this new o/u that Beretta is putting out, starting at $19,999. Makes the DT-11 I want seem cheap. lol

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/sl3/

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    A lot of Benelli shotgun suggestions, too bad my local Benelli dealer shut down. I'll look at all of the above mentioned shotguns at the Chantilly Gun show this coming weekend.

On a side note, I hit All Shooters Tactical and picked up a Browning 2000 and a Spike's snowflake lower.

Keep in mind that the drop at comb and cast on Beretta and Benelli semi-auto shotguns can be adjusted. Mine have never fit right out of the box with the exception of the 28 gauge I bought last year. I need the least amount of drop at comb available and they all seem to come with the most drop possible.

So, when you shoulder a Beretta or Benelli semi-auto, just understand that if it does not feel right regarding drop at comb or cast, it can usually be adjusted. LOP can be adjusted with thicker or thinner butt pads, but I find that the Beretta LOP is longer than the Benelli with the same butt plate thickness to it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Keep in mind that the drop at comb and cast on Beretta and Benelli semi-auto shotguns can be adjusted. Mine have never fit right out of the box with the exception of the 28 gauge I bought last year. I need the least amount of drop at comb available and they all seem to come with the most drop possible.

So, when you shoulder a Beretta or Benelli semi-auto, just understand that if it does not feel right regarding drop at comb or cast, it can usually be adjusted. LOP can be adjusted with thicker or thinner butt pads, but I find that the Beretta LOP is longer than the Benelli with the same butt plate thickness to it.

My M2 3 Gun came with instructions and adjusters, which was kinda interesting. It's fine out of the box for me for 3-gun. I rarely shoot moving targets, which explains why I rarely hit the moving clays during stages :).

I really don't like purchasing firearms from Cabela's after my first purchase, but it looks like I'm heading up there since they actually have all of the mentioned shotguns.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD

A Browning Maxus' stock is also adjustable for drop and cast. Almost any shotgun's lop can be adjusted with thicker or thinner butt pads.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    A Browning Maxus' stock is also adjustable for drop and cast. Almost any shotgun's lop can be adjusted with thicker or thinner butt pads.

I would go out on a limb and say every shotgun's length of pull can be adjusted with thinner and thicker butt pads. Question becomes whether they are included in the purchase price. LOP can be shortened even further by a gunsmith.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    growing up we hunted pheasants near chambersburg, pa, dad and i had 16 & 12ga ithaca 37 featherweight pump guns, bottom eject which worked perfectly for me as a lefty. not helping the op, but fond memories and they got the job done, rabbits too.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I would go out on a limb and say every shotgun's length of pull can be adjusted with thinner and thicker butt pads. Question becomes whether they are included in the purchase price. LOP can be shortened even further by a gunsmith.

Regarding LOP, every shotgun I own, except for the SxS, seem to be about 1" too long for me. Some can be shortened, but I'd rather not make the recoil pads shorter, and some stocks can only be shortened a little due to the action inside the stock. I ended up purchasing a Magpul stock for my Mossberg 590A1, which shortened the stock just right for me.

growing up we hunted pheasants near chambersburg, pa, dad and i had 16 & 12ga ithaca 37 featherweight pump guns, bottom eject which worked perfectly for me as a lefty. not helping the op, but fond memories and they got the job done, rabbits too.

We used to hunt doves and small game with a Mossberg 500, and the stock fit was bad, which is why I swore off Mossberg for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom