• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    While trying to move the fiber optic (factory) rear sight on my 10/22 Takedown, I tried both Metric and SAE Allen head (socket) drivers/wrenches.

None of them worked.

Can someone tell me what the correct size is???????????

I don't want to just drift it and "booger up" the dovetail or the sight/screw.

Thanks!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Metric?? Now that's special.

Seems odd though, doesn't it? I wonder, is there any chance that screw might be T5 Torx? I could see 1.5mm metric working on it.

Nope....must indeed be 1.5mm. 1.5mm is a tad bigger...had it backwards.

byf43

Yup. 1.5mm.

I was installing a Leupold 1-piece mount and dovetail rings, and had to remove the fiber optic rear sight that came on the rifle. (Darned shame, too.)

Bought both a 'tiny' set of SAE and Metric Allen Heads.

Could hardly see the 'socket' on the screw, so, I clipped on some 3x jeweler's loupes to magnify that tiny sucker.

Surprised me, that the socket was metric.

Even after installing the mount and scope, I wound up taking that back off, and installed a Picatinny rail and a Bushnell red dot scope.

With the Nikon ProStaff scope on the rifle, the darned rifle (broken down) wouldn't fit inside the factory case.

Oh well................ I'll have to buy another .22 to put the mount/scope on.

Yep. That's just a darned shame, isn't it?? :shrug:

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yup. 1.5mm.

I was installing a Leupold 1-piece mount and dovetail rings, and had to remove the fiber optic rear sight that came on the rifle. (Darned shame, too.)

Could hardly see the 'socket' on the screw, so, I clipped on some 3x jeweler's loupes to magnify that tiny sucker.

Even after installing the mount and scope, I wound up taking that back off, and installed a Picatinny rail and a Bushnell red dot scope.

With the Nikon ProStaff scope on the rifle, the darned rifle (broken down) wouldn't fit inside the factory case.

Yeah, it does surprise me that Ruger would be involved with anything metric. Then again, probably shouldn't, as the sight probably isn't made in house. Hell, who knows with any manufacturer nowadays....

Good luck with that next .22. Maybe a CZ, since it just wouldn't be right not to have a new metric rifle to go along with that new metric set! :)

byf43

Any chance it could be 1/16? That is only about 0.003" larger than 1.5 mm.

Nope. It is 1.5mm.

1/16" is 1.588mm, according to my handy-dandy "Fraction/Decimal/Metric Conversion Chart" stuck to my cubicle wall.

:)

Using a 3x "loupe" attached to my coke-bottle bottoms (eyeglasses) the 1.5mm Allen fits and has no slop in the fit.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Yup. 1.5mm.

this is what I have on mine, holds zero perfectly https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...tyle_1=Quick+Detach+Rings|Quick-Release+Rings

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom