• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PIRANHA

Greek Redneck
    Sep 22, 2013
    Essex, Maryland
    Has anyone tried one of these? I came across it on slidefire.com and thought it would be great to up the recoil of my 15-22 if it actually makes it kick more. My main reason for wanting a little more kick it to transition my kids from the .22 to a larger caliber easier. Just a thought if it actually creates more recoil.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Using a Slide Fire on a 9mm or .22LR is not a good idea. They are blowback and have no lockup, hence they can fire out of battery and blow up. Adding a Slide Fire increases the likelihood of this occurring.

I have seen the results as a Gunsmith.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    Using a Slide Fire on a 9mm or .22LR is not a good idea. They are blowback and have no lockup, hence they can fire out of battery and blow up. Adding a Slide Fire increases the likelihood of this occurring.

Those calibers especially, or they all have ta tendency to do that? The slidefire screws up the cycle?

I think he found something different. Aren't you talking about the slidefire (bump fire) stock? How do you think they ported (?) that muzzle brake to give more recoil?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Those calibers especially, or they all have ta tendency to do that? The slidefire screws up the cycle?

I think he found something different. Aren't you talking about the slidefire (bump fire) stock? How do you think they ported (?) that muzzle brake to give more recoil?

Any blowback caliber in an AR can have an Out of Battery explosion because they don't lockup. The .22LR and 9mm are the most popular, hence my mention of them specifically.

The slidefire will allow a user to fire faster than using a traditional firing method which most people cant outrun the action with.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    An out of battery detonation on a little .22 can cause injury or even damage your gun. I've had a couple on my dedicated CMMG .22 upper. Usually it happens when running my suppressor and it's amazing loud. Fortunately for me I was wearing eye and ear protection when it happened. I wouldn't do anything like running a slide fire to bring one on.

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    Listen to Chad.
    This is a 9mm that experienced a SlideFire induced OOB detonation.

Attachments

• DSC03025.jpg
      DSC03025.jpg
      40.4 KB · Views: 2,569
    • DSC03026.jpg
      DSC03026.jpg
      41.6 KB · Views: 2,681
    • DSC03027.jpg
      DSC03027.jpg
      39.2 KB · Views: 2,638
    • DSC03028.jpg
      DSC03028.jpg
      33.4 KB · Views: 2,652
    • DSC03029.jpg
      DSC03029.jpg
      37.5 KB · Views: 2,656

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    While we all seem to agree on the slidefire stock, the OP was about this little device. A recoil enhancer

Attachments

• recoilenhancer.jpg
      recoilenhancer.jpg
      10.6 KB · Views: 2,570

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.

Sorry if this is a silly question Chad, but does it make a difference if it's a S&W 15-22 vs a .22 AR-15? I guess what I'm asking is, are the actions the same to where the danger is present in either form?

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    Sorry if this is a silly question Chad, but does it make a difference if it's a S&W 15-22 vs a .22 AR-15? I guess what I'm asking is, are the actions the same to where the danger is present in either form?

I believe they are both blowback, so yes

PIRANHA

Greek Redneck
    Sep 22, 2013
    Essex, Maryland
    Just as stated prior I'm only looking into the recoil enhancer piece that replaces the flash hider, I would never use a slidefire due to the dangers and also the waste of ammo. I'm all about precision and being safe. If anyone does know if this actually increases the recoil I'd love to try it. I might just order one and try it if I don't get any answers.

Thanks

drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm sure it creates more recoil, it directs all the gasses out of the front rather than venting out the sides like the a2 flash hider. No idea how much though.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I'm sure it creates more recoil, it directs all the gasses out of the front rather than venting out the sides like the a2 flash hider. No idea how much though.

I'm having a hard time understanding how this would create more recoil than just not having any brake or compensator. Don't all the gases also vent out the front from a plain barrel?

drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm not sure it would be noticeable, especially with such a small caliber. But since it is starting with a muzzle brake rather than a plain barrel, putting a different design that directs the gasses in a different direction may in theory increase recoil. Guess you could just take it off and see?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Not sure what is inside it, if it has a weight that gets slammed backwards against the barrel from gas pressure just before the bullet leaves the barrel, it might work. A rare, but old idea, there was a floating chamber device on the colt Ace 22 pistol that increased recoil to mimic a 45. Basically the chamber telescoped backwards against the breechface as the bullet headed out the barrel, being there was 0 locking effect from the case gripping the chamber walls, the full power of the little 22 went right into pushing the slide backwards, both making the kits more reliable, and making it a better trainer for 45 loads.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    Not sure what is inside it, if it has a weight that gets slammed backwards against the barrel from gas pressure just before the bullet leaves the barrel, it might work. A rare, but old idea, there was a floating chamber device on the colt Ace 22 pistol that increased recoil to mimic a 45. Basically the chamber telescoped backwards against the breechface as the bullet headed out the barrel, being there was 0 locking effect from the case gripping the chamber walls, the full power of the little 22 went right into pushing the slide backwards, both making the kits more reliable, and making it a better trainer for 45 loads.

Thanks for the little history lesson. After a little research, those were certainly a neat package.:thumbsup: Leads back to my original thoughts about the porting on this little device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom