• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Kinda. All the recent rain put me waaay behind on outdoor work so while I wanted to attend an auction this weekend the responsible angel on my shoulder won out and I did the internet bid thing from home. There was a big museum auction in Boonsboro which initially caught my eye with a couple of Manurhin P38s. But I found a tiny collector's estate auction up in the hinterlands of central PA with some nice lots. They had an online bid application and with a premium of just 13% I decided to take a calculated risk on some promising lots.
    -Had $1K to play with or I would have had a much bigger invoice as this was a target rich environment with lots of bargains to be had. Here's a list of what I thought was interesting and what it all fetched (premium included)...

Springfield M1 Garand, Korean SN very good cond - $715
    Springfield M1 Garand, WW2 SN good cond- $690
    Springfield M1D Sniper (complete) exc cond- $1375!
    High Power, British WW2, exc cond. - $470
    High Power El Capitan (post war tangent sight, commercial) As new - $550!!
    Smith Corona 1903A3 exc cond - $440!!
    Remington 1903 good cond - $525
    Colt 1917 rig, very good cond - $385!!!
    Sistema Colt 1917, good cond - $440
    Enfield No4 MKII ("Irish") as new cond - $360!
    Finn M39 Exc cond - $300
    Spreewerke P38, late war, ext matching rig, vg cond - $575!!

-I was after one lot in particular: a Webley MKVI with New Zealand property marks and in original 455 Webley. No shaved cylinder. Took it home for $550. One of the better buys that day as matching examples in original .455 are now selling in the $1k neighborhood.
    -I bid on the P38 rig but sadly ran out of money at that point so someone else flat out stole it for $575. Easy a $900-$1k rig IMHO.
    -Near the end of the firearms were two early sporting autos that I've always admired. A Remington Model 8 in .35 Rem and a Winchester M1907 in .351 Win. Loved the Winchester and made a play for it. Had to go just a single bid over my self imposed limit but it was enough at $450 to snag it. I've been watching these in good to VG condition sell for $750 or more lately so I'm pumped.
    -Some auction photos for now. More later when they're in my hands.

Attachments

• MK6 - 1.jpeg
      MK6 - 1.jpeg
      41.5 KB · Views: 721
    • retrievePhoto.jpg
      retrievePhoto.jpg
      16 KB · Views: 717
    Jul 1, 2012
    Geez, that sounded like some great bargains there!
    The Winchester .351 is pretty cool, renewed my interest when it showed up in Pierce Brosnans hands on the TV show "The Son" :)
    (he also carries an early 1911). But as you note they ain't cheap anymore.

Wonder what the Spreewerk rig was, e.g. S/N block etc.
    British Hi Power was an Inglis ? super deal on that one, same with the Sistema.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Those were some good prices! I paid more than that for my .455 Webley not long ago.

Those HP's at those prices were a deal! Man, when I go to auctions Walmart 30-30's go for $1k it seems.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Geez, that sounded like some great bargains there!
    The Winchester .351 is pretty cool, renewed my interest when it showed up in Pierce Brosnans hands on the TV show "The Son" :)
    (he also carries an early 1911). But as you note they ain't cheap anymore.

Wonder what the Spreewerk rig was, e.g. S/N block etc.
    British Hi Power was an Inglis ? super deal on that one, same with the Sistema.

Think the Spreewerke was V block with a cog wheel hammer, spare mag and holster. Sadly after the auction ended you can't access the detailed photos anymore.
    There was a Radom Vis 35 but it was reblued, prob. a RC example. It sold stupid cheap, even for a shooter.
    The British HP was a fixed sight T series. Still cheap at that price. The HP El Cap was the shocker for me. As new, right out of the box, with tangent sight for only $550!
    I was shocked when I started to look for comps on the Winchester 1907. Hadn't been following them for a long time so the current market prices floored me. That pushed me over the line to throw some cash at this one if it could be had for the right price. Very much an acquisition of opportunity.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    PA Auction

I think we were bidding against one another! There were some good deals. I thought the online buyers' commission was 18% but I could be wrong.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I think we were bidding against one another! There were some good deals. I thought the online buyers' commission was 18% but I could be wrong.

Shame on you! ;) Funny story. I was at Redding bidding on a lot of Webley 455 auto ammo, 3 boxes in total. Someone across the room was bidding against me but I couldn't see whom. Ended up getting the lot for $45. Then a collector friend comes over and apologizes for bidding against me. He stopped when he saw who it was, bless him. Told him that I never expected him to be interested in this ammo as he doesn't own a Webley Auto in 455! But he wanted a box for his ammo collection so I sold him one of the three from that lot so we were all happy in the end. Too bad we can't split a firearm like Solomon's baby!
    Looking at my invoice and the premium was 10 points and then a 3 point "convenience fee". Much better than most.
    Did you get anything?

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Mawkie, you're making me real sad right now. That list is a bunch of dream buys for me and stuff that I would have broken the bank completely for! Nice grabs with what you had though.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    Shame on you! ;) Funny story. I was at Redding bidding on a lot of Webley 455 auto ammo, 3 boxes in total. Someone across the room was bidding against me but I couldn't see whom. Ended up getting the lot for $45. Then a collector friend comes over and apologizes for bidding against me. He stopped when he saw who it was, bless him. Told him that I never expected him to be interested in this ammo as he doesn't own a Webley Auto in 455! But he wanted a box for his ammo collection so I sold him one of the three from that lot so we were all happy in the end. Too bad we can't split a firearm like Solomon's baby!
    Looking at my invoice and the premium was 10 points and then a 3 point "convenience fee". Much better than most.
    Did you get anything?
    No, I was close to pulling the plug, we had a birthday party to attend and I was literally hanging over the computer, telling my wife that I was heading to the car to go. The feed on my end was not real good and at times I couldn't tell what the high bid was. Maybe next time. Really wanted one of the 1903's.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    What fun it would be to have a wad of cash and a C&R (do they even let you use C&R at these auctions?) Havent seen those prices in years, even with premium.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    They were auctioning the collection of a local man and it was physically held at the gun shop that was doing the transfers. Very convenient! Agree that those prices haven't been seen in quite some time. The big dollar item that day was a 1971 dated Mauser Luger Carbine in the original box with all the paperwork, including the factory test target. Looked like it was in unfired condition. Sold for $2860.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    The auction in Boonsboro was crazy! Almost 400 guns,mostly pre 1900, some went incredibly cheap! As always not enough money though...smh

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Great buy on that Winchester Mawkie,looks to be in very good condition.

Hey Augie,
    If there was anyone on this forum who would appreciate the Winnie 1907 I knew it would be you. I'm a novice when it comes to collectible sporting arms. So to get your seal of approval is a big deal to me!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The auction in Boonsboro was crazy! Almost 400 guns,mostly pre 1900, some went incredibly cheap! As always not enough money though...smh

Would love to hear more about Boonsboro. So much black powder stuff. Had to have been a long day. One reason why I ended up passing on attending, just didn't have the free time.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    After paying for my invoice I spoke with a sweet young lady with Lane Ryan Auctions about Dr Edward Stanley, the owner of many of the firearms sold. What I heard about him had me look up his obituary online. An amazing man from an amazing generation. Extremely well educated and versed in many subjects. Apparently they have yet to sell his camera and microscope collection. We'll never see the likes of men like this again. I know one thing about him; he had a great eye for firearms!
    From PennLive...

Edward A. Stanley, PhD, 87, of Lower Paxton Township, died Monday, June 20, 2016 in his home.
    He was a US Army Air Corps and Air Force Veteran, a graduate of Rutgers University, Penn State University, where he received a Masters Degree in Science and his Doctorate in Geology and Paleontology. He was the former Director and Commanding Officer of the New York City Police Department Crime Lab, Professor at the University of Georgia, Athens, GA, Associate Dean for Research at Indiana University of PA, former Supervisor for Bio-Stratigraphy for Phillips Petroleum in Bartlesville, OK, and Research Geologist at Aamaco Research in Tulsa, OK.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Interesting guy, makes sense he would have a Winchester 1907, they were used by the police and military. If you want to shoot it Buffalo Arms has ammo in stock, I've heard they are a fun gun to shoot.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Interesting guy, makes sense he would have a Winchester 1907, they were used by the police and military. If you want to shoot it Buffalo Arms has ammo in stock, I've heard they are a fun gun to shoot.

Had heard the same. Performance of the .351SL similar to the .30 carbine. Should make for a fun shooter indeed. Might see about scrounging a 10 round mag for it.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I've read that the .351 WSL was used by the French in WWI aircraft for both air to air and air to ground. I've also heard they were used by guards in U.S. prisons. You got a really nice looking one. Mine is not in that kind of shape but I bought it because it came with both a 5 and 10 round mag.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I've read that the .351 WSL was used by the French in WWI aircraft for both air to air and air to ground. I've also heard they were used by guards in U.S. prisons. You got a really nice looking one. Mine is not in that kind of shape but I bought it because it came with both a 5 and 10 round mag.

Have never seen an example of a French issued 1907, would be amazing to find one. Still working on getting a French Rolling Block in 8mm Lebel.
    There are a couple of police issue Remington Model 8s coming up in a RIA auction. Gonna be interesting to see what they sell for.

Attachments

• 671.jpg
      671.jpg
      25.4 KB · Views: 217

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads