• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I have been a gun owner for over 20 years (amazingly I have never committed a single crime as a result)

I am a firm supporter of the US Constitution and especially the 2nd Amendment

What can I do that is actually helpful to support gun rights in Maryland? All I want to be able to do it have fun shooting safely at a range and be able to protect my family from ever increasing dangers.

I already call and email my representatives Everytime they are about to trample everything I hold dear in the Constitution but judging by the follow up letters they mail me telling me how they know more than I do I gather that they don't care.

What is actually effective help I can offer as a normal citizen?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Become a member of MSI, and put a few dollars where the fight actually is (and will continue to be, for Maryland): the courts. If you've got some more to spread around, make sure the NRA-PVF and NRA-ILA have a little more to work with, even you don't want to be part of the association or its other activities. Same with the SAF.

Most importantly: it cannot be understated how vital it is that the next couple rounds of SCOTUS nominees come from someone who won't put anti-Bill-of-Rights counter-constitutionalists in those seats. There is no candidate from the left that we dare allow with that power. Warts and all, that is the reason to also add a pizza's worth of money to Trump's campaign operation. Likewise any and all senate races that look dodgy - we MUST continue to retain the senate so those judicial nominations will continue to go through.

As Marylanders, it's tempting to look inward here and focus on local political races. We're lost, here. We will only continue to lose local legislative power to the well-funded hard lefties from MoCo, HoCo, and the like. We should push back on principle, but we can't kid ourselves about turning this state red. Ain't gonna happen. It's all about the courts (and who sits in them, and thus who names those people), and it's all about 2A-friendly entities having the funds to find people with standing to challenge the nonsense we've been saddled with, and which will continue to happen (see Virginia).

Lastly: one at a time, with deliberate care and gentle social skills, take a noobie shooting. And then another one. And another one. And another one.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I'll second joining MSI. And regarding educating voters and legislators (often the latter is communicating with the dead, I grant you), MSI provides many opportunities to do that as well, and even provides great materials to help you do that.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    MSI setting up at gun shows is kinda like preaching to the choir. I'm sure it gains some new members but what about other places? I don't hardly go to any shows and maybe they already do but what about outdoor or hunting shows, taxidermists, butchers that cut up deers, etc... Are there flyers available to ask our butchers to set out or hand out with a deer pickup or head mount at taxidermist? I'm thinking walmart wouldn't allow a display at the sporting goods counter.
    Virginia has it made. They are trying to get it all done in one session and they got the whole state fired up. We are kinda like the boiled frog who didn't jump out of the pot.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Lastly: one at a time, with deliberate care and gentle social skills, take a noobie shooting. And then another one. And another one. And another one.

I do this as much as possible. I truly enjoy it

I learned to love training others in marksmanship when I was in the Corps. Everything from 5.56 to 25mm turret mounted cannon. (Very different fundamentals on that thing)

To watch someone who is intimidated by the gun learn how to handle it safely and start hitting targets with accuracy and seeing that confidence build in them....I love to help people find that. Love it!

Fun story...I took my mother for the first time in her 70's. She finally bought a gun because Maryland told her she shouldn't. (Hell of a good reason if I ever heard one)

So I took her to the range. I went over marksmanship fundamentals. We used up 49 rounds out if a box of 50 learning about sight picture and not compensating for recoil...you all know the drill. But I saved the last round for her 'graduation test'. I put one of the standard "bug guy aiming the revolver at you" targets up, put it out at 7 yards, put one round in her revolver and said 'guy is breaking in at 3 am. You have 1 shot. If you miss, bad things happen'

She put that 1 round right between his eyes.

I have never been so proud

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    MSI setting up at gun shows is kinda like preaching to the choir. I'm sure it gains some new members but what about other places? I don't hardly go to any shows and maybe they already do but what about outdoor or hunting shows, taxidermists, butchers that cut up deers, etc... Are there flyers available to ask our butchers to set out or hand out with a deer pickup or head mount at taxidermist? I'm thinking walmart wouldn't allow a display at the sporting goods counter.
    Virginia has it made. They are trying to get it all done in one session and they got the whole state fired up. We are kinda like the boiled frog who didn't jump out of the pot.

I was at Free State range in White Marsh (during the story I mention above) when I found the MSI brochure

That had me do a web search which is how I found this site.

So I agree...having brochures around outside the gun show is a good idea. MSI at the gun show isn't going to 'save the unsaved' so 5he approach should be different. Don't tell people there about the glory of 2A (because they already know) but tell them what they can do

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Stove... please let me know if any funding is needed for PP rallies, signage, sky writing, or dinosaur reanimation efforts.

As you know, I try to put my money where my mouth is, so I'm in to help out the cause again this year as much as I can.

Always appreciated Doc. We're actually in pretty good shape due to the ammo raffle on Thanksgiving but if we have a special need I will be in touch. MDS members have been especially generous over the years which has been an absolute blessing, YOU GUYS ROCK!!

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line

I was at Free State range in White Marsh (during the story I mention above) when I found the MSI brochure

That had me do a web search which is how I found this site.

So I agree...having brochures around outside the gun show is a good idea. MSI at the gun show isn't going to 'save the unsaved' so 5he approach should be different. Don't tell people there about the glory of 2A (because they already know) but tell them what they can do

Let me chime in here. We do these events to educate people. You would be surprised how many of the "choir" don't know about some of Maryland's ridiculous laws, or have never heard of MSI. We sign up a lot of new members, and (hint, hint) accept donations to fund the ever-growing list of lawsuits. One of my favorite things to tell people about is carry permits. Every show I personally talk at least a few business owners into getting their permit. I mean, every time the MSP mails out a new permit Brian Frosh sheds another tear. That alone is reason enough! And we also provide a lot of brochures to gun shops or any other business who wants them. If you know of a shop who wants brochures, or needs to re-stock, have them send an email to events at marylandshallissue with a dotorg and we'll get them in the mail.

Plus, we actually do go to community events, not "just" gun shows. We have a long history at places like Bowiefest and Beltsville Day, taking the fight into enemy territory, and very successfully I might add. Just last September the organizers INVITED us to the Takoma Park Folk Festival, and we had loads of fun being one booth away from the Moms on Demand. There is support out there in these locations even if it is "under the radar." Specifically at TP a lot of people were stopping to talk us and then going over to the Moms, and vice versa. Out of about 50 people I talked to many were either supportive (as I said, maybe a bit discretely) or at least willing to talk. I only had two examples of what I would term Posterior Aperture behavior.

If you're anywhere near Timonium this weekend please do stop by the table and say Hi.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’ve heard for every round of ammunition purchased, a politician sheds a tear ;)

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I’ve heard for every round of ammunition purchased, a politician sheds a tear ;)

If so I have been filling the oceans with tears for my whole darn life, no wonder the sea levels rising lol

I hope you sell enough rounds to drown them all!

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Let me chime in here. We do these events to educate people. You would be surprised how many of the "choir" don't know about some of Maryland's ridiculous laws, or have never heard of MSI. We sign up a lot of new members, and (hint, hint) accept donations to fund the ever-growing list of lawsuits. One of my favorite things to tell people about is carry permits. Every show I personally talk at least a few business owners into getting their permit. I mean, every time the MSP mails out a new permit Brian Frosh sheds another tear. That alone is reason enough! And we also provide a lot of brochures to gun shops or any other business who wants them. If you know of a shop who wants brochures, or needs to re-stock, have them send an email to events at marylandshallissue with a dotorg and we'll get them in the mail.

Plus, we actually do go to community events, not "just" gun shows. We have a long history at places like Bowiefest and Beltsville Day, taking the fight into enemy territory, and very successfully I might add. Just last September the organizers INVITED us to the Takoma Park Folk Festival, and we had loads of fun being one booth away from the Moms on Demand. There is support out there in these locations even if it is "under the radar." Specifically at TP a lot of people were stopping to talk us and then going over to the Moms, and vice versa. Out of about 50 people I talked to many were either supportive (as I said, maybe a bit discretely) or at least willing to talk. I only had two examples of what I would term Posterior Aperture behavior.

If you're anywhere near Timonium this weekend please do stop by the table and say Hi.

That's a neat perspective

I am surprised to learn that gun show attendees don't know the basics of communist oppression in Maryland

And anything that makes Brian Frosh sad makes me happy

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    I used to be shocked at how many gun owners knew nothing about the Annapolis debauchery. Now I know better. For the average hunter or recreational shooter, it is easy to be ignorant of, or ignore. Most people are busy living their lives and don't go looking for causes to invest time and money in. Many don't frequent gun message boards like this.

So use your social media account to reach out to these people. If you don't have a facebook, get one. Post things on your page, tag your gun owner friends. Join groups of people who are likely to be supportive. I am a member of Harford County Republican Women. I am sharing gun bill information on the County and State pages.

Reach out personally to anyone you know who is a gun owner or ally (we can use that word too) who you feel may not know about these proposed laws. Retired people, those who do not use social media, etc.

If you have submitted written testimony or given oral testimony, offer to help newcomers to the fight navigate the process. If you haven't, reach out to someone who has to guide you. Carpool to legislative sessions.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What everybody has said so far .

If it wasn't explicitly stated yet , volunteer at the MSI booth at an event . It's enjoyable, and personally rewarding , and experienced members will be on hand to show you the ropes .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom