• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Dblas, I hope you won't mind, but if I might correct some minor points.

Anyone as you have said, can write anything they want.

HOWEVER, once a sponsor takes it on, the Department of Legislative Services writes the bill. I have, in my former role as Leg Director for a state agency, had bills written by our Assistant Attorney General and then had bills completely re-written by DLS (one bill went from a page or two to more 60 but it was essentially the same bill).

Also, sometimes, a legislator will drop a bill just to drive a discussion of the issue. Any legislator can add their name to the bill at the committee hearing. It isn't always a "show" for their base. I know you know that, but others may or may not. And sometimes a bill is a strategy to drive negotiations on a bad bill. Lots of reasons why a legislator may drop a bill they know isn't going anywhere. You'll recall one legislator we know, who did this occasionally because he wanted MSP to come in with data...and when they didn't he successfully used this argument to make bills that were flying through as written a little less awful.

I never mind an assist from you.

Thanks Doll.

Bourbonstamps

Dec 23, 2015
    would SB39 not ban all .300blk ARs since the text reads

"a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their
    2 copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

(iv) ANDERSON MANUFACTURING .223 CALIBER AM–15 AND
    7 .300 CALIBER AM–15;"

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    New in the house today:

HB0591 Public Safety – Lost or Stolen Regulated Firearm – Reporting (Sponsor: Del. Clippinger)

Altering penalties applicable to failing to report a lost or stolen regulated firearm.

New in the Senate today:

SB0422 Firearms - Permit to Carry, Wear, or Transport - Required Courses (Sponsor: Sen. Young)

Requiring a person to whom a permit to carry, wear, or transport a handgun has been issued to successfully complete each calendar year certain courses approved by the Secretary of State Police; exempting certain persons from the requirement to complete certain courses under certain circumstances; authorizing the Secretary to revoke a permit if a person fails to successfully complete a certain course; etc.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    New in the house today:

HB0591 Public Safety – Lost or Stolen Regulated Firearm – Reporting (Sponsor: Del. Clippinger)

New in the Senate today:

SB0422 Firearms - Permit to Carry, Wear, or Transport - Required Courses (Sponsor: Sen. Young)

Ron Young is the most vile thing to ever come out of Frederick county.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom