• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The 4473 authorizes MSP to initiate the NICS check. It authorizes us to initiate it for long guns. The form goes no where, but it’s what initiates the whole process. It must be completed prior to us dealers submitting the 77R and must be completed at our business location.

YES, I understand that.

But MSP does the NICS based on the 77r being submitted. They have no idea if the 4473 has actually been done.

They are just being dicks about it.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    YES, I understand that.

But MSP does the NICS based on the 77r being submitted. They have no idea if the 4473 has actually been done.

They are just being dicks about it.

They don’t have anything to do with the 4473 because it’s a federal form, but the 4473 authorizes the NICS. I think I used the wrong terminology before. MSP assumes the 4473 is completed prior to the dealer submitting the 77R. They pull the NICS information from the 77R, which, for the most part, duplicates the 4473.

Too many forms and too many cooks in the kitchen. It would be easier for MSP to do the state background check and the dealer run the NICS at the end of the 7-day waiting period. I have no say in the process, so I guess it’s been a huge waste of my time for me to have thought about this for as long as I have... LOL

Chuck

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They don’t have anything to do with the 4473 because it’s a federal form, but the 4473 authorizes the NICS. I think I used the wrong terminology before. MSP assumes the 4473 is completed prior to the dealer submitting the 77R. They pull the NICS information from the 77R, which, for the most part, duplicates the 4473.

Too many forms and too many cooks in the kitchen. It would be easier for MSP to do the state background check and the dealer run the NICS at the end of the 7-day waiting period. I have no say in the process, so I guess it’s been a huge waste of my time for me to have thought about this for as long as I have... LOL

Chuck

Again, I understand.

But it just MSP being a PITA to do this. They have NO idea if the 4473 is filled out. And for MANY years, you did not do the 4473 until you picked up the handgun.

Only after the 77r electronic came along, and people figured out you could do everything remotely until pickup day, they changed up and said, OH NO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom