• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No problem with getting the barrel extension to seat all the way into the upper receiver extension. The problem I'm having is there's a little bit of side to side movement of the indexing pin in the pin slot. We're talking less than a mm.

I'm asking this as a part of building a M110 inspired ar308. As such, I want there to be as much potential for accuracy as far as the platform is concerned. I haven't taken any pictures because I couldn't even tell the difference moving one way and the other.

I guess my question(s) are thus: Am I going to run into headspace problems? How about gas tube alignment? Is there a potential for the barrel to move from expansion and contraction after the nut is properly torqued? Am I over thinking this?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My gut feeling is that you are overthinking this, but it's always wise to use headspace gauges. The only time I could maybe see this mattering is if you used a front sight on your gas block, in which case I guess a little to the left or right might make it annoying to zero (windage ALL the way over)... maybe.

Digby

Feb 19, 2014
    Western Howard County
    There has to be a little bit of play between the pin and the slot, otherwise you wouldn't be able to get the barrel seated. It's just a result of manufacturing tolerances. I wouldn't worry about it. There's a bit of play in the gas tube fit as well, which should be sufficient to compensate for the tolerance between the pin and the slot. Moreover, I can't see how that tiny play in the barrel pin/slot would affect headspace. I'd put it together and go shoot it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom