• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I learned it enough to pass my Advanced code test (13 WPM). But don't use it, so I don't remember it.

I used a computer program that sent Morse and you typed what you heard. It would start with 2 letters (A and N), and added more as you got better.

Only issue was, I learned to type Morse as I heard it, not actually register on my conscious mind. :)

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    I learned code with an Instructograph. Google Instructograph if like old technology. Also ARRL code practice transmissions and listening to cw qso's crowded 40M novice band. Hard to find much slow CW on the air anymore.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Are you using the Koch method? That seems like the best way to go.

Here's a description:

http://hfradio.org/koch_1.html

There is an on-line tutor program here:

http://lcwo.net/

And a downloadable program:

http://www.g4fon.net/CW Trainer.htm

Holy heck this is tough! The youtube tutorial was going slow. I got 100% on the first lesson (two letters) on the next lesson I did good then got floored by one group and tail spinned on the last groups.

I can see they are trying to use reflex instead of just memory.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    GRMS.

Got some new portables with the option alongside FRS.

I went online to see about the licensing and it seems they may do away with it. Is it worth the extra range?

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    GRMS.

I went online to see about the licensing and it seems they may do away with it. Is it worth the extra range?

I guess it would depend on what you want to do with it and how long you are willing to wait to see if the licensing requirement is going to be removed.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    GRMS.

GMRS is a $75 fee for a 5 year license that will cover everyone at one address. It needs to be renewed every 5 years.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I just wanted to drop in and post this. I dld cq100 tonight and for the first time spoke to people on the air. It was neat. Alot of the talk is just about nothing. Kinda neat. Talked to someone from Virginia and two guys from British COlumbia.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I just wanted to drop in and post this. I dld cq100 tonight and for the first time spoke to people on the air. It was neat. Alot of the talk is just about nothing. Kinda neat. Talked to someone from Virginia and two guys from British COlumbia.

I'm amazed sometimes at the connections I find with other people I talk to.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    If you look at the two licenses back in history, it makes sense.

At first, the Tech was the next step up from Novice that added access to VHF and higher.

Later came the Tech Plus, which was the VHF and up without an HF priviledges and no Morse code test requirement.

In the days of the Tech, many people built and tuned their own HF radios. HeathKit was around, along with others. A good bit of technical knowledge was required to do this without causing problems.

In the VHF and up world, most people buy a radio, hook up 12V and an antenna and go on the air. So little technical knowledge is required.

Tech plus was never no-code. It was designation given to Techs who had passed the 5wpm Morse code test before they dropped it as a requirement for the Tech license. In 2000 they ceased issuing the Tech Plus license and started renewing them as Techs. However they still had HF privileges if they had the documentation on file with the FCC to prove they had previously held a Tech+ or Novice designation.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Oops, you are right.

Tech Plus came about when they dropped the code requirement for the Tech.

It was a while ago. :)

Tac

Zombie Threat Reducer
    Oct 16, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I haven't had a chance to go through all the info yet, but I wanted to toss out a huge thank you as just last night I started looking at small handheld radios and considering dipping my toe into this. Thank you for taking the time to combine and post all of this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom