• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You can make a reliable gun from BCA components, but you really should have everything inspected with the proper gauges and someone with some knowledge on the firearm. One of the most common issues I see what their barrels is short chambering.

I'm not one to say that lower grade AR's are worthless like other industry people. They just need a good rebuild and inspection.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    You can make a reliable gun from BCA components, but you really should have everything inspected with the proper gauges and someone with some knowledge on the firearm. One of the most common issues I see what their barrels is short chambering.

I'm not one to say that lower grade AR's are worthless like other industry people. They just need a good rebuild and inspection.

pardon my ignorance but what are the risks with short chambering?

also, is this a big deal for a very low use budget plinker (100 rounds a month tops)?

asking for a friend who has a BCA HBAR and didn't do research because he may or may not be cheap :innocent0

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    pardon my ignorance but what are the risks with short chambering?

also, is this a big deal for a very low use budget plinker (100 rounds a month tops)?

asking for a friend who has a BCA HBAR and didn't do research because he may or may not be cheap :innocent0

Failure to chamber, extraction issues, bolt breakage, and/or bad accuracy.

Worst case would result im a Kaboom from overpressure or other variables that create a perfect storm (Too much Firing Pin Protrusion) where the gun can fire when slightly out of battery.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I purchased the complete BCA 47 rifle as my first AR (also currently on sale at a ridiculous price) and took it to the SOTAR Armorer 101 class over the summer. Here's my report.

Consider the price when reading the following, my praise is contingent on the cost!

If you are wondering why I chose this particular rifle. I am new to AR's and already shoot/have a lot of 7.62x39, what I don't have is tons of cash to throw around.

Results from the class: The rifle passed all of the gauging, testing, and bore scope inspection, with the exception of the gas key bolts, which Chad helped me replace. I replaced the extractor spring with the gold colored spring from Colt, per Chad's recommendation. I replaced the trigger with a LaRue MBT-2S because the stock trigger was intolerable.

Magazines: I have a few of the C-Products stainless steel mags. All function flawlessly, seem to be well built. They are not always easy to come by online, + there's that Maryland thing.

At the range: Tons of fun to shoot. The rifle is more accurate than I am at 100 yards. I would love to try it out to 200+, but I haven't been able to get to a range with that length yet. I will be on private property next month with ample room and am excited to see what it can do. Before I replaced the trigger it did not like some of the steel cased ammo I was using. After replacing the trigger I have had no problems with Golden Bear and Golden Tiger. Tula has had a couple problems so I stopped using it in this rifle. I have never had any issues with brass, even before I replaced the trigger.

Personally, I am thrilled with this rifle. The money I did not spend on the gun itself means that I was able to go to the SOTAR class and I am very glad for that decision. Of course, YMMV!

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    Failure to chamber, extraction issues, bolt breakage, and/or bad accuracy.

Worst case would result im a Kaboom from overpressure or other variables that create a perfect storm (Too much Firing Pin Protrusion) where the gun can fire when slightly out of battery.

thank you for responding

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I purchased the complete BCA 47 rifle as my first AR (also currently on sale at a ridiculous price) and took it to the SOTAR Armorer 101 class over the summer. Here's my report.

Consider the price when reading the following, my praise is contingent on the cost!

If you are wondering why I chose this particular rifle. I am new to AR's and already shoot/have a lot of 7.62x39, what I don't have is tons of cash to throw around.

Results from the class: The rifle passed all of the gauging, testing, and bore scope inspection, with the exception of the gas key bolts, which Chad helped me replace. I replaced the extractor spring with the gold colored spring from Colt, per Chad's recommendation. I replaced the trigger with a LaRue MBT-2S because the stock trigger was intolerable.

Magazines: I have a few of the C-Products stainless steel mags. All function flawlessly, seem to be well built. They are not always easy to come by online, + there's that Maryland thing.

At the range: Tons of fun to shoot. The rifle is more accurate than I am at 100 yards. I would love to try it out to 200+, but I haven't been able to get to a range with that length yet. I will be on private property next month with ample room and am excited to see what it can do. Before I replaced the trigger it did not like some of the steel cased ammo I was using. After replacing the trigger I have had no problems with Golden Bear and Golden Tiger. Tula has had a couple problems so I stopped using it in this rifle. I have never had any issues with brass, even before I replaced the trigger.

Personally, I am thrilled with this rifle. The money I did not spend on the gun itself means that I was able to go to the SOTAR class and I am very glad for that decision. Of course, YMMV!

That's a great report :)

thank you for responding

Your quite welcome. I'm here to help however I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom