• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Velpoe

Dec 27, 2012
    Cumberland, MD
    Anyone have experience with the Mossberg Patriot Youth rifle? I'm looking for a beginner deer rifle for my 10 year old son. Probably going with .243. I like the feel and trigger on the Mossberg...and the price. Also looked at Savage and Remington.
    Thoughts?

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I can’t tell you anything about the Mossberg. A few years ago I bought my son the savage axis youth rifle in 243. It’s been a great little rifle. It’s very accurate, so accurate,my wife wanted one for herself. She doesn’t like a lot of recoil either, but wanted more power, so her’s is in 7mm-08. Both have been very accurate, nice light rifles. The only thing I don’t like are the detachable magazines. They work perfectly, but the seem cheaply made.
    Both of there’s came with 3x9 scopes, they aren’t the best, but seem to be holding zero just fine.
    Hopefully this helps some.

Velpoe

Dec 27, 2012
    Cumberland, MD
    I like the savage axis youth rifles too, but I liked the feel of the mossberg better for some reason. But that's me...I need to get my 10-year old to handle both and see which one he likes. I also looked at the ruger american ranch in 7.62x39. It got a good review in american hunter. But I like the 243 better as an all around beginner cartridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom