• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    A buddy ( born in ‘39) sent me pics of his dad’s guns from the 30s and 40 s. The LeFever side by side was one, a Remington humpback semi auto was another. Maybe a mod 11? Both in 16 ga. Anyone care to chime in whether these have collectors’ interest. Don’t know condition and suspect they were well used.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Can you post the pictures here? That would definitely help. Lefever shotguns can go for a lot, depending on model and different grades. If the Remington has the humpback it’s a model 11. Can’t really give you anymore help than that without more info or pictures.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Ithaca Lefevers are nice working/field guns. I have a 12ga from 1923 that suffered from some amateur stock refinishing. It's all going to depend on little differences to the setup of the LeFever. Splinter vs beavertail forearm, English straight stock vs American pistol-grip, matching numbers, choke numbers on each barrel, ejectors vs extractors, single vs double trigger.

Beavertail forends were for trap guns. Those came with ejectors standard
    Splinter forends were for field guns. Ejectors were an upgrade on those
    Double triggers were standard. Single triggers were an upgrade
    Pistol-Grip was standard. English straight-stock was an upgrade

Barrel length is also pertinent.

Do you have the serial so you can find the year?

As for the Remington, it's a Model 11 if it's a humpback. Again, the little things are what tell you whether it's valuable or just run of the mill. Engraving, stock wood, etc. will all play a part there.

As for collector's interest. There won't be any hardcore interest unless they're unique or rare specimens in excellent condition. That doesn't mean they aren't worth anything if they're in good condition, but run of the mill. People still run Remington Model 11s and LeFever Nitro Specials on the range and in the field all the time and they make good, less-expensive alternatives to new arms for upland game. I paid about $200 or so for my Nitro Special, but it still has miles of lockup left despite the poor showing of the furniture. It's all going to depend on condition.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Can you post the pictures here? That would definitely help. Lefever shotguns can go for a lot, depending on model and different grades. If the Remington has the humpback it’s a model 11. Can’t really give you anymore help than that without more info or pictures.

I dont have pics. The Rem is a humpback. I haven’t handled the double but thought an old 16 might have some interest if the frame is smaller than a 12. Thanks for the response.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    The lefever is a bit worn. From the sn it was 1937. Pistol grip, don’t know the barrel length. Havent seen much more of it. The rem is a “ sportsman”. My guess is that in minnessotta where my friend grew up his dad hunted for the pot and these guns saw use. Friend is in his upper 70s and no one in his family wants them. I sent him a few comps of similar lefever guns listed at 300-600. Condition varied.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The lefever is a bit worn. From the sn it was 1937. Pistol grip, don’t know the barrel length. Havent seen much more of it. The rem is a “ sportsman”. My guess is that in minnessotta where my friend grew up his dad hunted for the pot and these guns saw use. Friend is in his upper 70s and no one in his family wants them. I sent him a few comps of similar lefever guns listed at 300-600. Condition varied.

Just be careful with the LeFever comps. LeFever was a separate manufacturer for a long time (until 1916). When they merged with Ithaca in 1916, Ithaca continued to make Lefever guns that were of a higher grade than the Nitro Special for some time. The Nitro Special itself was Ithaca putting the Lefever name on a field-grade gun. They're sturdy, but plentiful and plain. Case color condition, wood condition, bluing, and lockup/facing are EVERYTHING when it comes to value on these.

As for the Model 11 Sportsman, here's some info I pulled from shotgun world on that:

In 1930, they also introduced a three-shot version in 20-gauge called "The Sportsman." The 20-gauge “The Sportsman” had serial numbers beginning low 1? Maybe 1000? Fron June 1931 Field & Stream --

They added 12- and 16-gauge "The Sportsman" in 1931, with 12-gauge "The Sportsman" having serial numbers starting at 500,000 and 16-gauges having serial numbers starting at 200,000. "The Sportsman" had a three-bird roll-stamping on each side of the receiver.

In 1934 DuPont acquired controlling interest of Remington Arms Co., Inc. In 1937, Remington reduced the roll-stamping on "The Sportsman" to one bird on each side and started putting the roll-stamping on Model 11 receivers as well. At the same time, the name "The Sportsman" or "Model 11" began being stamped on the bolt.

On Sep. 28, 1937, they stopped the separate serial number sequence in the 2xx,xxx range for the 16-gauge "The Sportsman"; on Aug. 24, 1937, they stopped the separate serial number sequence in the 5xx,xxx range for the 12-gauges and finally on Feb. 14, 1938, they ended the separate serial numbers for the 20-gauge “The Sportsman” at 16,753. From then on the "Model 11" and "The Sportsman" were serial numbered together, continuing the Model 11 sequences. Combined 12-gauge "Model 11" and "The Sportsman" serial numbers reached 499,999 on August 1, 1943. Serial numbers were then jumped to 700,000 and continued.

If he's interested in selling either gun I'd be happy to give him a realistic value if he can pass along pictures. I might even be a buyer (I have a 03-FFL which both of these should qualify for transfer with) .

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Thank you for the interesting info. When u are close to 80, what do u do with your dad’s guns when your kids would rather have the measles?
    I was given a winchester 50 12 ga with 2 barrels under similar circumstances; also a winchester 16 ga and a savage .410 double. This stuff can pile up and fill your closets and safes. I will pass your interest on. I would hate to see him dump them at a gun store.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Thank you for the interesting info. When u are close to 80, what do u do with your dad’s guns when your kids would rather have the measles?
    I would hate to see him dump them at a gun store.

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather see someone who appreciates good workingman's shotguns pick them up at a fair price than to see your friend get gypped at a gun store that will likely give him 1/3 of fair market value for them (if not less).

Alternatively, he can see if there are any youth/beginner hunting organizations in his area that might be interested in the guns as loaners. Local BSA troops might be interested as well for boys who are interested in getting their shotgun merit badges but don't have the necessary equipment to do so.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    My thoughts exactly. I'd rather see someone who appreciates good workingman's shotguns pick them up at a fair price than to see your friend get gypped at a gun store that will likely give him 1/3 of fair market value for them (if not less).

Alternatively, he can see if there are any youth/beginner hunting organizations in his area that might be interested in the guns as loaners. Local BSA troops might be interested as well for boys who are interested in getting their shotgun merit badges but don't have the necessary equipment to do so.

Great suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom